names

oxford comma

i have done all of my caching by myself, or with my kids so far. I haven't attended any events or get togethers yet , and have yet to meet any fellow cachers when I'm out . when you guys are at events or just caching and you happen to bump into another cacher do you go by your caching name, or your "real" name? just curious.

For those of us that are big into caching in our area, we're all on a first name basis (and we generally all know everyone's last name too, and even where some of us live!). For newer or casual cachers, it's more likely that I'll be referring to them by their caching name.

i have done all of my caching by myself, or with my kids so far. I haven't attended any events or get togethers yet , and have yet to meet any fellow cachers when I'm out . when you guys are at events or just caching and you happen to bump into another cacher do you go by your caching name, or your "real" name? just curious.

That was never an issue for me, since I was singularly uncreative when I chose my caching name. I'm known as either just "Larry" or "Larry Zip Code." :D

--Larry

Just make sure the people you are introducing yourself to are geocachers. We went up and introduced ourselves an mnfishnutz and Troutonthebrain (our geocaching names) to a guy who was wandering through the woods with a gps on this trail in our area. Turns out he was surveying the trail to write a book about it. Boy did he look at us like we hit our heads! :laughing: :laughing:

I generaly use my real name and add my caching name at the end in introductions. "Hello Im Duncan FROM TLC". As my caching name started out as a group name and now its my solo name, but sounds a little funny jusy being a soloist called The Lindsay Clan. LOL

Edited by thelindsayclan

Ach. Hmm... My name dates back to Bulletin Boards. (Yeah. Dial up from the Amiga.) No one used their real name. We used 'handles' (as in CB handles.) Nope. It's not a 'user name', it's my handle! (Nope. The Amiga did not have a hard drive. It ran off of floppies!)

Got into trail hiking (over half the AT!) No. It's not a 'trail name' it's my handle! My sister, Circles, never understood this. "Hi. I'm Joan." NO! You're Circles. (Short for "Walking in Circles.") Then, she'd try to tell people that I'm not really 'Harry'. I'm Harry!

Okay. There are a number of geocachers who know my real first name. (No. It's not Harry.) I don't think there are very many geocachers (outside of close friends) who know my last name. (No. It's not really 'Dolphin'.)

Yes. The world has changed. But not for me. Hi. I'm Harry Dolphin!