Corporate or business sponsored caches? A what if question

Let me say I have no business and this is just a topic to argue or debate for fun....

After reading another thread I got curious how one would feel about a "sponsored" cache? Let's say Disney decided to make a cache and it was elaborate and interesting and made the Britannia manor cache look like a LPC. The people at Disney would maintain the area and clean up trash....the only catch is the cache would have the Disney logo, coupons, and pamphlets available for those who would want them....Would you cache it?

Let me say I have no business and this is just a topic to argue or debate for fun....

After reading another thread I got curious how one would feel about a "sponsored" cache? Let's say Disney decided to make a cache and it was elaborate and interesting and made the Britannia manor cache look like a LPC. The people at Disney would maintain the area and clean up trash....the only catch is the cache would have the Disney logo, coupons, and pamphlets available for those who would want them....Would you cache it?

No. I really enjoy great elaborate caches. The reason I enjoy them is because I like seeing what level of creativity and workmanship can be accomplished by individuals. I don't care that a corporation with $$ to throw into a marketing stunt can afford to hire tradesmen to create a cache. For me, it would loose the magic (even from a magical company such as Disney).

I like that caches are community creations. Corporate sponsorship would ruin that IMHO.

I'm probably in the minority, but not only would I hunt for it, knowing Disney, I'd probably give it a favorite point.

No. I really enjoy great elaborate caches. The reason I enjoy them is because I like seeing what level of creativity and workmanship can be accomplished by individuals. I don't care that a corporation with $$ to throw into a marketing stunt can afford to hire tradesmen to create a cache. For me, it would loose the magic (even from a magical company such as Disney).

I like that caches are community creations. Corporate sponsorship would ruin that IMHO.

My thoughts exactly. That being said, something about the idea doesn't sit quite right. Even if it were to happen, I wouldn't see it lasting long at all.

Honestly, I don't think I'd like to see that. I mean I could see how it might have its positive points, but ultimately, commercialization often ruins a good thing.

No, I meant commercialized caches in general. I know I'm new to this whole thing, but from what I've seen so far, this game is about having fun and finding nice locations, not advertizing products. I don't know. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture yet, but that's just my initial reaction.

The way I figure Groundspeak is in it for the money. They have paired up numerous times to do sponsored trackables. I would bet if the right offers came along they would offer up an icon and sponsored cache series again in a heart beat. I wouldn't want to see it but with how emotional people were over those ape caches I bet there would be equal emotion over any new series and potential icon even from the naysayers.

I would bet if the right offers came along they would offer up an icon and sponsored cache series again in a heart beat.

"Attributes" are the new "Icon."

The "partnership cache" attribute, which can only be added to a cache by Groundspeak:

partnership-yes.gif

Please see the Page in the Groundspeak Knowledge Books entitled Attributes for this explanation of the partnership/sponsored cache:

The "sponsored cache" attribute is awarded to geocaches developed in partnership between Groundspeak and another company. Groundspeak works to provide a limited number of entertaining sponsored caches in order to bring another element of fun to the activity. Many geocachers have enjoyed sponsored cache programs, from the old Project A.P.E. series to the new and family-friendly PBS Dinosaur Train Geocaching series.
Edited by Keystone

I really enjoy great elaborate caches. The reason I enjoy them is because I like seeing what level of creativity and workmanship can be accomplished by individuals. I don't care that a corporation with $$ to throw into a marketing stunt can afford to hire tradesmen to create a cache. For me, it would loose the magic (even from a magical company such as Disney).

One of the nice things about geocaching is that you don't have to find caches that you don't think you'll enjoy. People who might like Disney-sponsored caches can search for them. At the same time, people who feel such caches would lose the magic can ignore them.

I really enjoy great elaborate caches. The reason I enjoy them is because I like seeing what level of creativity and workmanship can be accomplished by individuals. I don't care that a corporation with $$ to throw into a marketing stunt can afford to hire tradesmen to create a cache. For me, it would loose the magic (even from a magical company such as Disney).

One of the nice things about geocaching is that you don't have to find caches that you don't think you'll enjoy. People who might like Disney-sponsored caches can search for them. At the same time, people who feel such caches would lose the magic can ignore them.

That same argument was made when UCE (unsolicited commercial email...aka SPAM) started to proliferate and look how well that has worked out.

I would bet that if Disney created a set of caches in their parks that they'd do a really good job and be very popular. However, if Disney can sponsor caches, why not other Corporate sponsors like Walmart, Exxon Mobile, Fannie Mae, AT&T, McDonalds, etc.

That same argument was made when UCE (unsolicited commercial email...aka SPAM) started to proliferate and look how well that has worked out.

I would bet that if Disney created a set of caches in their parks that they'd do a really good job and be very popular. However, if Disney can sponsor caches, why not other Corporate sponsors like Walmart, Exxon Mobile, Fannie Mae, AT&T, McDonalds, etc.

Building and maintaining a geocache is a bit more expensive than sending an email. It's not a very cost effective method of advertising, especially when the listing page cannot have commercial content without Groundspeak's approval. I just don't see corporate-sponsored geocaches running amok anytime soon. Until then, I'm quite happy picking and choosing the geocaches that I think I'll enjoy.

Just some brain storming here....

If this were to be allowed - it would be an 'advertising perk' and Groundspeak SHOULD and is entitled to advertising dollars. This would be good for Groundspeak to collect funds to keep our game going and maybe even lower our premium membership costs. However - I think this could cause some problems. In terms of cache maintenance.... If a corporate cache were to need maintenance or other 'issues' - would Groundspeak have the RIGHTS to archive a 'paid advertisement' cache? There would need to be some significant guidelines put in place. And now that I think about it...too much work, too much effort...Keep it the way it is.

I can also see these caches over-running our territory..... corporate caches popping up everywhere and its not guaranteed these will be creative enough VS just another LPC cache just to get you in the parking lot.

I don't need advertisement...... I don't need Groundspeak to allow corporate caches. I'd rather see a regular person/cacher develop a creative cache and 'get permission' from a business owner to place it on their property. Sure - you can design it and dedicate it to that 'corporation' - and it will bring people to their parking log. If they want to put coupons inside or have special prizes.. GO 4 IT! But keep the cache pages similar to what are allowed now (no advertising). If the cache is worthy / creative enough for getting people to it....let the FAVORITE points speak for it.

They will come

Edited by Lieblweb

When I hear Disney cache I think of paying $60 to stand in line for 3 hours and then a great ride that lasts maybe a minute or two. I think I'd pass.

My 7 year old (at the time) son had a different impression when we went to Disneyworld a couple of years ago. On the first day at Epcot, after about an hour he said, "I didn't realize that amusement parks could be so awesome." One of his favorite activities was playing a game they had call Kim Possible Adventure. He was given a "Kimmunicator" a cell phone like device that had a GPS in it. Each mission took place in one of the 11 "countries" in the World Showcase area of Epcot. Using the device they had to visit 5-6 locations, answer questions, interact with objects and sometimes people to complete the mission. It was *very* similar to a Wherigo. While doing the United Kingdom mission he got to meet Mary Poppins and at the time Mary Poppins was one of his favorite movies. If Disney was allowed to and decided to create a physical cache in or near one of their parks I doubt it would be just for advertisement purpose. They'd do it for the entertainment just as they have hidden hundreds of "hidden mickies" all over the parks for people to discover.