Need Help finding this container

I see a really cool container on ebay. I would like some help finding a commercial source of these containers. I am not planning on competing with the ebay seller but I just want to buy a whole bunch for cheap. Would it be ok to post a picture of the cache container here and ask for help finding it?

I see a really cool container on ebay. I would like some help finding a commercial source of these containers. I am not planning on competing with the ebay seller but I just want to buy a whole bunch for cheap. Would it be ok to post a picture of the cache container here and ask for help finding it?

Waiting..... :omnomnom:

they are called cryo tubes and the lids break off and the logs get stuck inside. Not worth it I say.

If you want super nanos try the pet store for dog tags with logs inside. Issue with those is you have to keep changing the logs.

id tags

Edited by jellis

they are called cryo tubes and the lids break off and the logs get stuck inside. Not worth it I say.

If you want super nanos try the pet store for dog tags with logs inside. Issue with those is you have to keep changing the logs.

id tags

Lots of helpful information. Good to know what works and what does not work. I have been pretty happy for the really tricky hides with 1.5ml DNA tubes. They are super evil when placed in tree bark :)

Thanks for the dog tag idea.

id tags

Lots of helpful information. Good to know what works and what does not work. I have been pretty happy for the really tricky hides with 1.5ml DNA tubes. They are super evil when placed in tree bark :)

Thanks for the dog tag idea.

If you find any tubes with screw on lids those are the best. Someone here in our area found some but won't say where they got them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Micro-Geocache-Cache-Containers-Nano-Geocaching-Bison-Tubes-w-Logs-/260952781991?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc1ff74a7#ht_2024wt_956

Do you thing this is what the person in your are has? I have hidden these in phone booths etc. they really work great. If you paint them they are virtually invisible.

Yeah like that but the ones I saw were longer about 1.5" long and was black and clear.

I saw one cache where the CO used that tube but embedded it in a piece of Styrofoam. Then, they covered it with moss and placed it in a crevice. The tube held up well and it was one of the coolest hides I've seen.

And to reiterate. You can get those from a lab supply catalog such as VWR. If you know anyone who works in a lab ask them.

Edited by Phizy

That someone wants "a whole bunch" of those makes me wish for the hundredth time that we had the option to ignore all placements of a given user without having to open every page.

Most of the time when I am purchasing containers I like to have 50-100. I am not talking about really needing 1000+ of these but if you can get 500 for the price of 10 with the right sourcing why not :). A number of my caches are downtown Portland, OR. I try to hide them in really cool spots like old phone booths or near interesting landmarks in downtown Portland and enjoy immensely all the logs.... many from visiting out of town folks. There is a strong muggle population and I swear the homeless love to nab these things out of boredom. I would say that of my 109 geocaches (104 active) I am probably replacing 5-6 caches per month due just to muggles.

That someone wants "a whole bunch" of those makes me wish for the hundredth time that we had the option to ignore all placements of a given user without having to open every page.

Just be glad when they are not hidden in your area.

There are a few locals I'd put on the ignore all list, if we had one.

Most of the time when I am purchasing containers I like to have 50-100. I am not talking about really needing 1000+ of these but if you can get 500 for the price of 10 with the right sourcing why not :). A number of my caches are downtown Portland, OR. I try to hide them in really cool spots like old phone booths or near interesting landmarks in downtown Portland and enjoy immensely all the logs.... many from visiting out of town folks. There is a strong muggle population and I swear the homeless love to nab these things out of boredom. I would say that of my 109 geocaches (104 active) I am probably replacing 5-6 caches per month due just to muggles.

I stand by my statement.

I agree that may be a useful feature. I personally would probably not use it as I am trying to make geocaching friends and most days and up for any cache anywhere by anyone. I LOVE meeting fellow cachers at GZ on FTF runs and just randomly when searching for a cache.

If you placed them in better spots, you would only need to replace 1-2 a month. Either way, I'm glad I don't live in your area!

Can I just mention how annoyed I am? I'm looking for a place to put a new cache and all the great places near me are occupied with a micro. I want to hide a big box! Why hide a micro where you could hide an ammo box?

And even with only 50 finds to my name, I've come across a few micros with the logs all filled up. Why would you want to place dozens of micros that require constant maintance runs for new logs?

I agree that may be a useful feature. I personally would probably not use it as I am trying to make geocaching friends and most days and up for any cache anywhere by anyone. I LOVE meeting fellow cachers at GZ on FTF runs and just randomly when searching for a cache.

I, to, love meeting fellow cachers in the field. But it's always better to meet them at a great cache instead of another crappy wad of paper stuffed in a leaky container with a cross threaded cap.

Can I just mention how annoyed I am? I'm looking for a place to put a new cache and all the great places near me are occupied with a micro. I want to hide a big box! Why hide a micro where you could hide an ammo box?

And even with only 50 finds to my name, I've come across a few micros with the logs all filled up. Why would you want to place dozens of micros that require constant maintance runs for new logs?

You might try to contact to cache owner that is blocking your potential spot. Granted that they in no way are obligated to help out but it never hurts to ask Anyone that is brave enough or crazy enough to put an ammo can in downtown Portland just contact me and I will happily archive any of my caches that are blocking the spot.

Thank you, now I know what to look for. Yep, i live just south of ya and I see that u been busy hiding tons of caches lately. :laughing:

Take a trip up north. When I have more time this summer I want to make a trip south. If you ever get stuck on any of my caches I am always happy to help just drop me a PM. Also I have a number of "?" caches that you could work on solving then pick up he final location next time you came through town.

If you placed them in better spots, you would only need to replace 1-2 a month. Either way, I'm glad I don't live in your area!

I always place them perfectly it is those that come after me that may not do such a great job. Lol. Urban geocaching is quite a different animal compared to the other subset of my caches which are suburban hides.

In that area I am sure you'll only meet one. Maybe two. Unless that cacher will be out of town when you release them.

Edit: I take that back. Looks like some FTF hound may have some competition.

Edited by jellis
Some people don't care about trade items or trackables and see no value in hiding a container larger than required for the log.

Some people prefer inexpensive/free containers, and don't want to pay for an ammo box, a Lock & Lock container, etc.

But even if you can hide a larger container, that doesn't mean that a larger container will survive as a geocache. Those who find a larger container may draw unwanted attention to it, and the next thing you know, it has been stolen or vandalized. I've seen the same pattern happen repeatedly around here: A location hosts a series of caches placed by various owners, until someone hides a micro-cache (or even a puzzle micro-cache). The smaller caches survive, so that's what ends up dominating in busy locations.

Some people don't care about trade items or trackables and see no value in hiding a container larger than required for the log.

Some people prefer inexpensive/free containers, and don't want to pay for an ammo box, a Lock & Lock container, etc.

But even if you can hide a larger container, that doesn't mean that a larger container will survive as a geocache. Those who find a larger container may draw unwanted attention to it, and the next thing you know, it has been stolen or vandalized. I've seen the same pattern happen repeatedly around here: A location hosts a series of caches placed by various owners, until someone hides a micro-cache (or even a puzzle micro-cache). The smaller caches survive, so that's what ends up dominating in busy locations.

niraD,

I could not have said it better. Thanks for your input!!

I stand by my statement.

+1

I recently ran into hides using this type of container. The container does not seem to hold up very well. The top was ripped off about half of them, the log was wet in several more. The hides I found were on wooden sign posts along a highway. Hides wih this type of container will most likely have high maintenance. Peoria Bill :>)

I recently ran into hides using this type of container. The container does not seem to hold up very well. The top was ripped off about half of them, the log was wet in several more. The hides I found were on wooden sign posts along a highway. Hides wih this type of container will most likely have high maintenance. Peoria Bill :>)

http://

I just bought those tubes on amazon, 20 for $5..shipping cost as much as the product. I made a few "evil" containers using epoxy to glue items to the lid. I can't wait to hide them! I would attach a picture if I knew how... I'm new lol

I just bought those tubes on amazon, 20 for $5..shipping cost as much as the product. I made a few "evil" containers using epoxy to glue items to the lid. I can't wait to hide them! I would attach a picture if I knew how... I'm new lol

Upload the photo to a public photo hosting services which allows you to reference the image as a link with a standard file extension (jpg, gif, png). Many use Photobucket.

While editing a post, click on the button which looks like a small green box with a white border(just above the text area where you're editing, two to the right of the smiley face.)

Paste in the URL for the image from the image hosting service and select the Insert Image button.

Thats it.

Thank you, now I know what to look for. Yep, i live just south of ya and I see that u been busy hiding tons of caches lately. :laughing:

As soon as I read your post, I said to myself, "self, how much you want to bet being in Oregon, every one of them is a PMO cache"? Well, guess what? :P

What is this, evil micro hider week on the forum? That on is DEFINITELY not on the schedule. :D

niraD,

I could not have said it better. Thanks for your input!!

It's one thing to not care about swag or container quality when you're a finder but when you hide caches it's especially considerate when one thinks about providing a quality experience for the majority of cachers. A swag size water tight container pleases probably all cachers. A leaky micro container pleases a minority of cachers. If it must be a micro cache because of the (urban) environment it can still be a quality micro -- good watertight container, clever/fun disguise.

As soon as I read your post, I said to myself, "self, how much you want to bet being in Oregon, every one of them is a PMO cache"? Well, guess what? :P

What is this, evil micro hider week on the forum? That on is DEFINITELY not on the schedule. :D

:laughing: :laughing: She/he got only 99 PMO caches. Only the top 6. The highest one got 176 PMO caches. This stats is base on Oregon caches only.

Here is a picture of a few of the caches I made with these tubes- buttons, coins, bottle caps. anything goes. Now i just need to find a good place for a hide!

evilcache.jpg

I go out of my way to place as large of a cache as I can in a given area. Yes, I have some micro's, but I also have a 5 gallon bucket. I've started getting frustrated with these little hides because they often have little thought put into their location and are almost never maintained 9wet/ full logs, etc).

Edited by wsbucker