Short "Nicks"

BaseOverApex

When I enrolled as a cacher and selected my cacher name, I was a muggle. Or, let's say, at the "barely post-muggle stage." Yep - same as the rest of you. I did not know of micros. I did not know caches could get so darned small. On a 1/2 inch wide piece of rolled up paper with 1/4 inches of height, I barely have room to write the date, and I think it rude to use two lines. I don't thin kmy cacher name is even THAT long, by comparison.

It would be convenient if I had a recognised, official, short form of my cacher name. Locally, some other cachers have started to address me as "BoA." I didn't instigate this, but it works for me. I've started to write it in log in micros. Now, what if (yes, it's an outside chance) someone comes along wondering who this BoA chap is? Can he look me up and check my stats?

I can see that a nickname for folks who already have nicknames is a bit counter-intuitive, but I thin my rationale is good! How about it? Officially recognised, short (less than 6 character) nicknames?

When I enrolled as a cacher and selected my cacher name, I was a muggle. Or, let's say, at the "barely post-muggle stage." Yep - same as the rest of you. I did not know of micros. I did not know caches could get so darned small. On a 1/2 inch wide piece of rolled up paper with 1/4 inches of height, I barely have room to write the date, and I think it rude to use two lines. I don't thin kmy cacher name is even THAT long, by comparison.

It would be convenient if I had a recognised, official, short form of my cacher name. Locally, some other cachers have started to address me as "BoA." I didn't instigate this, but it works for me. I've started to write it in log in micros. Now, what if (yes, it's an outside chance) someone comes along wondering who this BoA chap is? Can he look me up and check my stats?

I can see that a nickname for folks who already have nicknames is a bit counter-intuitive, but I thin my rationale is good! How about it? Officially recognised, short (less than 6 character) nicknames?

If I understand your post correctly....

lots of us already use "nicknames" or even initials when writing on small logs. And yes, someone can look up the online logs, see who "BoA" is and check your stats UNLESS (like me) you hide them! It's so common for cachers to use shortened versions of their names when signing logs, but I don't think it needs to be an "officially recognized nickname"

In nanos, I'm HD. If out with my caching partner, we're HD&AB. Perfectly acceptable.

Had 23 people (in one group - more in another group) find one of my caches last Saturday. One signature: MDIP for all 23. (Not sure if most of them even saw the cache...) So, likewise, group signatures are not uncommon. (Have not figured out the validity of this...)

In nano cache I take the whole log and write PLANET WAS HERE. THANKS FOR THE CACHE, BEAUTIFUL SETTING! THANKS FOR BRINGING ME HERE. NEVER KNEW THIS WAS HERE. 5/4/12

In my online log I write "Log is full. Needs maintenance" and post a needs maintenance icon to the cache page.

I'M JUST KIDDING!

If (big if) I find a nano I just put date "5/4 P". But I rarely ever look for a nano. My eyes are getting too old for that. There doesn't need to be a shortened nick option. The owner should just be happy you shortened it.

For "standard" log sheets and log books, I use my full caching name. For micros, I often use LC43230, and for itty bitty logs like those used in nanos, I'll sign with LEC, my "real life" initials. If I use anything other than my full caching name, I'll normally mention it in my on-line log.

--Larry

And yes, someone can look up the online logs, see who "BoA" is and check your stats UNLESS (like me) you hide them!

How? When I look up user BoA, I get this guy@ http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=32e3619d-a8a9-4c85-9c5a-74c83d4f6fce.

If (big if) I find a nano I just put date "5/4 P".

I may as well write M.Mouse or not sign the log at all.

If I use anything other than my full caching name, I'll normally mention it in my on-line log.

This is the best response. And so obvious. Thanks!

Singed, BoA.

BoA isn't on the ONLINE logs, your name is!

Indeed, so, my question in relation to your statement

And yes, someone can look up the online logs, see who "BoA" is and check your stats ...

remains unanswered: Since BoA is not my online name, how can someone see who BoA is and check my stats?

BoA isn't on the ONLINE logs, your name is!

Indeed, so, my question in relation to your statement

And yes, someone can look up the online logs, see who "BoA" is and check your stats ...

remains unanswered: Since BoA is not my online name, how can someone see who BoA is and check my stats?

By using the power of deduction. It really isn't a big deal, if people are honest about logging. You really only have to worry about couch potato loggers.

I recently signed a micro log with a pointy stick and mud. Thinking it might fade, I took a photo and posted it with my log.

Stayfloopy has found 17,418 caches. Someone once questioned his integrity, so he posts a photo of his log every time. I'd recognize his thumb anywhere. (Don't search, I think he changed his user name, but it's true.)

Heh heh! You're right. In any case, unless one has a stupidly high find count, who would bother checking anyway?

Actually, I do know of one local cache where the CO checks the actual log. Only because it's such a pig of a thing to find, he can't believe anyone's actually found it!

Another local logger has been logging finds on caches which I know to be absent / muggled / disabled. Over 150 in one day. But I think that was a team which split up, so one half of the team is logging previously found caches under a new name without setting the dates!

If the log sheet is big enough for me to write NYPaddleCacher and the date that's what I'll write. If not, I'll write NYPC and the date. I don't mention using an abbreviation in my online log and have never had one deleted. If someone *did* one of my logs I'd send a message to the CO indicating that I had written NYPC to save space.

Actually. GC has assigned everyone a 'short nick'. It's a Member ID #. Six-digit #? Naw, I'll just sign HD where necessary.

YES! I like where this is going! I knew of these short codes (I believe one exists for every database entry, eg uniquely identifying each trackable, each cache and even each log entry). Which makes for another interesting question. I'd often like to refer to folk by their coord.info/ short form. How do I find it for a particular user (or myself)?

As a CO,

I do encurage people to write small and short in the paper logs

and big and long in the online log..

I get very happy when people team up and take several of my caches

and log them with ONE short name/initials, like 3 letters if they are 3 cachers,

the first letter from each, they inform about this in the online log,

so all is fine.

you know there is no demand for a date, just the name or a short for your name is the REQUIRED way to log a cache.

if you did not sign the paper log, YOU DID NOT FIND IT

so you must log it with a note..