Should I ask someone to move along my TB?

FunkyCachers

Someone has had one of my TBs for a little over a month, he is a fairly new cacher. Should I email them and ask if they could move along my TB? Or leave it alone? My concern is that if I do ask that they might place it in an "unsafe" cache just to appease me. Just looking for your opinion. This is one of my first TBs that I have owned.

If it's a new cacher, they might honestly not know what to do with it, even if they figured out to log it. Who knows--maybe they think that's the end, like logging a find on a cache. A polite email wouldn't be amiss--perhaps just ask if they still have it rather than asking to move it along. It's possible that they dropped it off already and didn't see the inventory options at the bottom of the page when they logged that cache.

I've seen people mention getting reminder emails makes them angry so that they then won't move a TB at all, but this seems like a very juvenile attitude. How dare we "offend" someone by politely asking that they move it on in a reasonable amount of time... Trackables are meaningful, especially if you've only released a few. Owners get concerned about them. I'd ask about it. Chances are it will do more good than harm.

It's possible that they dropped it off already and didn't see the inventory options at the bottom of the page when they logged that cache.

That's always a possibility. I would email the cacher and ask if they still had it but while you wait for a reply, I would also check to see if they've cached since picking up your TB and check their logs to see if they mentioned dropping it in a cache.

Someone has had one of my TBs for a little over a month, he is a fairly new cacher. Should I email them and ask if they could move along my TB? Or leave it alone? My concern is that if I do ask that they might place it in an "unsafe" cache just to appease me. Just looking for your opinion. This is one of my first TBs that I have owned.

If you mean the "letter F" TB, the cacher hasn't been to a cache since the day they picked up the TB (that day, all the caches were Micros, no good for TB placement), but they did log on a couple of weeks ago. They haven't had the opportunity to drop it yet, so asking them to drop it now would be counterproductive (as you mentioned).

Whenever you feel it's been way too long (and ideally after they've been to several likely caches with no TB drop), you may write a very upbeat PM about how you're checking up on some of your wayward TBs that you haven't heard from in a while. And make a log not on the TBs page like "If someone knows where this bug is, please leave a note here" -- just in case someone's email isn't set up right.

IMO, cachers should pick up a TB and place it. Done. If they find only Micros forevermore, place it back into the same cache. Don't keep a TB, making the TO guess. Just my opinion (which few people seem to agree with). But your TB is a special case. It was rescued from an Event. Good fortune is upon you. So in this case, here's what to do:

Write to the TB holder thanking them profusely for saving the TB from the Event, make a log note on the TB page saying the same thing, and in a few weeks, after the cacher visits a few TB-sized caches, ask if he could drop it off. And that there's a nearby cache in particular, for the special Dropping Off Ceremony. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion

My 1st and only TB has been in someones hands for 6 weeks or so. I dropped it off and was very excited about it, it got snagged 3 days later and I was so happy....now im kinda concerned.

I sent a kind message apologizing about the size of it (it'll only fit in reg/large caches) hoping the maybe remind them of it...still havent heard anything....i guess thats the way of it

My g/f has one that'll be launched in our cache when we put it out there, so maybe that'll do better.

And I looked to see, and the person holding my tb has been to a couple regular caches.

Maybe ill make a smaller hitchhiker and if they drop it near me ill switch it up

Edited by Mushroom420

My 1st and only TB has been in someones hands for 6 weeks or so. I dropped it off and was very excited about it, it got snagged 3 days later and I was so happy....now im kinda concerned.

I sent a kind message apologizing about the size of it (it'll only fit in reg/large caches) hoping the maybe remind them of it...still havent heard anything....i guess thats the way of it

My g/f has one that'll be launched in our cache when we put it out there, so maybe that'll do better.

And I looked to see, and the person holding my tb has been to a couple regular caches.

Maybe ill make a smaller hitchhiker and if they drop it near me ill switch it up

Im in the same situation. i dropped off my first travel bug in a cahe and it was picked up right away. Its been over a month and the user hasnt placed it. I do have tags on it that say please do not take if you cant place within 2 weeks. Ive messaged them 3 times and no response. So far it hasnt travelled at all yet. :(

Lessons to be learned in life:

1) Never annoy someone holding something of yours. After a month or two had passed, one polite e-mail might not be a bad idea. Last time a TB owner sent me three e-mails within a week, it went into the next cache that I found. (Which had not been found in six months.) Oh, well. You insisted.

2) Patience is a virtue. Come on? Really?? You expect it to be moved within two weeks? Would you like to buy a bridge? A month or two is more normal. No. I do not read the TB page on your TB before I pick it up. Get real?

3) Yes. You are a newby. Time for you to learn about the real world.

(Yes. I seldom put out any new geocoins/TBs. I know what the frustration is.)

So. Wait a month or two, then send one polite e-mail asking if they are well? Would you be moving my TB along soon?

Discretion is the better part of valor. Send me one polite note, I'll search all my jackets to see where I left it. Annoy me, and you are asking for trouble.

What annoys me the most: People who do not wait for me to log the trackable into a cache before she grabs it from me. Good golly! It's been fifteen minutes! She then held on to it for six months.

If you come to realize that this is the real world, and not Utopia, you will avoid ulcers.

Ah. Time for my six-month watch on how my trackables are doing:

Wannabe and Osito have moved within the last month! Glorious!

Oops. My micro geocoin was lasat found in 2006 by someone who has found one cache, and not cached since 2008. Not likely to see that one move!

My Evil Microcoin was put in a cache last year. Cache is still being found. Guess that one is gone... Another one missing.

My ARKMO coin? Three years since it was logged. Oh,well.

CITO coin. Not moved since last August. Friendly e-mail sent.

MY AT coin is in a cache not found since November. Okay. No problem there.

VA AT coin. Still holding it after a year. Nice e-mail sent.

Sunshine geocoin. Same.

PBS geocoin. Sme.

Morristown Benchmark. Same.

Deaf Awareness. Missing. I do not like that GC will not allow me to edit my 'Marked it missing' log with a note. Thats's just wrong.

Guess I'll have a lot fewer to keep track of soon.

Ah. Are you wondering why I have not put out any trackables recently?

Deaf Awareness. Missing. I do not like that GC will not allow me to edit my 'Marked it missing' log with a note. Thats's just wrong.

I just checked with one of the "missing" logs I posted about one of our coins.

It can be edited.

Go to the coin's page, click on "visit log" of the "missing" log, and it takes you to a page where you have the options: Edit Log, Delete Log, Upload Image.

Click on "Edit Log".

B.

I sent two TB holders a message today. They have both been holding on to two of our TBs for a month. One cacher has regularly been finding caches that could hold a TB, the other cacher is a newbie and doesn't seem to get out much. Just so these TBs don't get forgotten, my message said:

Hello! Just checking in to see if TB##### has been having any new adventures with you. This TB wants to see (insert goal here), so we would love to see pics when you move it on to the next cache. Thanks!

I'm trying to be polite, but inside I'm paranoid. :unsure: Everybody warns you not to get attached, but couldn't these TBs at least make it through a few hands before they disappear?

I'm in the same boat.

Do you think it'd make them mad if I sent a message with something like, "Hi, I just wanted to say thanks for picking up my travel bug. I'm excited to see where it's going to travel next!", to try conveying a hint they should move it? Then if in another two weeks it's the same way, send a more official message politely asking if they can move it on?

I'm in the same boat.

Do you think it'd make them mad if I sent a message with something like, "Hi, I just wanted to say thanks for picking up my travel bug. I'm excited to see where it's going to travel next!", to try conveying a hint they should move it? Then if in another two weeks it's the same way, send a more official message politely asking if they can move it on?

Well... it wouldn't make me mad... as long as you didn't send it too soon after I picked it up. ;)

I usually send a reminder email after about 6 weeks, which says something like, "Hi, I was just checking through my trackables and I noticed that... blah, blah, blah, [trackable name, when they retrieved it etc]... I would really appreciate it if you could drop it into another cache soon. Many thanks."

If nothing happens I send another email another 6 weeks later, fairly similar wording but I add something like, "If there's a problem like it's been mislaid, or you're not geocaching any more, please just let me know and I'll sort it out." (If it's within UK, and it's important to me, I might offer to send a stamped addressed envelope for its return mailing)

If nothing happens after that one... I just leave it. And hope for the best!

MrsB :)

I usually send a polite message after a couple months. I wish that people would have the TB visit caches when the have it and are currently are finding caches. That way we know they have it and it is active and milage is increasing.

Not necessarily. They might just be checking the "all visited" box under their "found" log.

I don't have a problem with visiting, either. I do it myself, if I have the bug with me when I find a cache.

I started 2 TB June, 2010. One went missing October, 2011. I emailed the person twice (since they have been doing a lot of caching since then), and never got a reply, so I just marked it as missing. The other went missing August, 2010, in Canada. I waited until December, 2011 to mark it missing. So imagine my surprise when it was found in May, 2012 in France. It took almost 2 years, but traveled over 3000 miles and is on the move again. SO my advice is patience is a virtue, and you never know when, or where a TB will turn up.