Three straight-forward questions about my 60CSX

After using a Nuvi for the last 3 years I was finally able to track down and buy a lightly used 60csx. I am hoping someone can help with three simple questions.

1) When hiking, how do you carry your 60? Belt clip? Clipped higher up? Hanging around neck, or?

2) Is there any way to have the unit power up with the backlight on? Mine always boots up with the backlight off.

3) Is the unit truly waterproof? I don’t care about actually dunking it in water, however it can rain like crazy in NW Oregon and I want to know if it can safely handle pouring rain?

Thanks for any help

1) I carry mine in my hand while walking. If i have to climb a tree or cross a creek and have my hands free, i clip the GPSr to my belt.

2) Why do you need the backlight on immediately? As soon as it is on and searching for the satellites,

tap the power button and the light will go on.

3) I have carried it in my hand in a rain without any problems, but i would not leave it out for long.

1) When hiking, how do you carry your 60? Belt clip? Clipped higher up? Hanging around neck, or?

Belt clip with an extra 'biner on my belt to hold the lanyard (just in case that flimsy belt clip button fails.

2) Is there any way to have the unit power up with the backlight on? Mine always boots up with the backlight off.

No luck with that.

3) Is the unit truly waterproof? I don’t care about actually dunking it in water, however it can rain like crazy in NW Oregon and I want to know if it can safely handle pouring rain?

IPX7 spec says it should work after 30 minutes of submersion a 1 meter. You should be OK in the rain. The signal will really suck if you try to use it a meter below the water surface.

I am hoping someone can help with three simple questions.

1) with the belt clip on my front pocket because I don't actually like it on my belt. It is lower and out of the way. If I'm on a longer hike with my pack, than I clip it to my shoulder strap just above the chest strap.

2) Not that I have found but it only takes one quick push of the button to turn on.

3) I have hiked with it on my pack in the rain with no issues, but is anything really waterproof? I would call it more water resistant than waterproof.

After using a Nuvi for the last 3 years I was finally able to track down and buy a lightly used 60csx. I am hoping someone can help with three simple questions.

Thanks for any help

I don't use my CSx a lot these days but used it quite heavily for five years.

1. Clipped to my belt. If I'm wearing a backpack, clipped to the chest strap. Then I can get at it quickly and easily but don't have to have it in my hand the entire time.

2. Why would you want to? Just tap the power button and the backlight comes on.

3. Oh yes. I used mine on my mountain bike and if it got muddy I washed it under the tap. I've taken it out hiking in torrential rain, so much rain that I had to keep wiping it off the display so I could read where I was going, and it coped just fine. I've cycled through downpours with hailstones with the CSx mounted to my handlebars. Never missed a beat.

1) I carry mine in my hand while walking. If i have to climb a tree or cross a creek and have my hands free, i clip the GPSr to my belt.

2) Why do you need the backlight on immediately? As soon as it is on and searching for the satellites,

tap the power button and the light will go on.

3) I have carried it in my hand in a rain without any problems, but i would not leave it out for long.

I agree with everything said here plus I often hang it on a lanyard using a shorter strap. Personally, I like the wrist strap because once I've found the cache I can hang my 60 on any branch or twig allowing free hands to sign the log.

When not in my hand the unit goes in a soft canvas belt holster.....I've never understood hanging / dangling units from my neck or belt, in the woods/swamps the briars would scratch the unit and screen like they do me and my cloths.

We don't cache in the rain a lot but the 60 has done well when wet and seems waterproof to me.

I agree with everything said here plus I often hang it on a lanyard using a shorter strap. Personally, I like the wrist strap because once I've found the cache I can hang my 60 on any branch or twig allowing free hands to sign the log.

I'd say that was a desperately bad idea. If you hang it around your neck there's no chance at all you'll walk on and realise a mile down the road that you don't have a GPS any more. Personally I'd rather clip it on my belt or backpack.

Seriously, in the forums every once in a while is a post from someone who put their GPS down, carried on walking, realised a mile or more later (sometimes much more) and ended up buying a new GPS. I've seen someone caching with a smartphone put it down to sign the log and then start walking off without it.

I'd say that was a desperately bad idea. If you hang it around your neck there's no chance at all you'll walk on and realise a mile down the road that you don't have a GPS any more. Personally I'd rather clip it on my belt or backpack.

Seriously, in the forums every once in a while is a post from someone who put their GPS down, carried on walking, realised a mile or more later (sometimes much more) and ended up buying a new GPS. I've seen someone caching with a smartphone put it down to sign the log and then start walking off without it.

Thankfully, it hasn't happened yet although the potential is there so one must always be cognizant. I still use both of my 60's off and on, but my main GPS is an Oregon 450 which hangs (on me) from a large carabiner.

Edited by luvvinbird

EVERYONE: thank you very much for the helpful responses. I appreciate you taking time to respond.

I am glad I don’t have to worrying about the rain causing a water ingress problem. Thanks for the input. I will continue hiking away in the Oregon rain.

I guess I will have to overcome my extreme laziness and just learn to push the On button several times when powering up to make sure the backlight is on.

Regarding the carrying method: Based on your responses, it sounds like the factory belt clip holds up well. I will go with that option. I also saw (online) a carabiner clip accessory that attaches in place of the knob on the back – I might also give that a try.

Thanks!

I have mine on a lanyard thats clipped to my camelback strap and rests in my pocket. When I take my pack off, it swirls about, knocks into things, hits rocks, etc. it's pretty durable!

Obviously, being from Seattle area, it's used to lots of rain. A few times I've tossed it in a mud pile, and once it tumbled into a creek. Again, pretty durable!

No chance of me forgetting it though....I have to tell it I've found the cache and plan my route to the next one. I can't imagine hiking a mile and forgetting about it, lol. How would I know where I'm going? I hike in areas with lots of trails, and I could easily stray off my route...

Thankfully, it hasn't happened yet although the potential is there so one must always be cognizant. I still use both of my 60's off and on, but my main GPS is an Oregon 450 which hangs (on me) from a large carabiner.

And NEVER, NEVER, EVER set your GPS on the exterior surface of your vehicle! Do not be tempted to set your GPS on the hood, trunk or roof for only a few seconds while your toss your gear in the back seat. You WILL eventually forget it and drive away losing your GPS somewhere along the road.

1. I am using an older cell phone holster from the days when cell phone were a good deal larger. It is padded and has been used on 3 GPs's.

2. Definately waterproof. I was geocaching in the Chicago are a few years ago when I accidentally dropped my GPS. It rolled down a steep hill, bouncing off of several trees before it came to rest in the Chicago river. After working my way down the hill, I found my GPS resting in about a foot of water in the Chicago river. I could clearly read the screen, as it was resting screen side up. It was showing its current position in the river on the map. I removed it from the water, dried it off and continued geocaching. My son has now inherited that GPS from me.

3. As stated above you just need to press the on button again to activate the backlight. You can set yours up to stay on different length of time. I have used mine with the backlight set up while night caching.

And NEVER, NEVER, EVER set your GPS on the exterior surface of your vehicle! Do not be tempted to set your GPS on the hood, trunk or roof for only a few seconds while your toss your gear in the back seat. You WILL eventually forget it and drive away losing your GPS somewhere along the road.

That's already happened with my 60Cx. I started the car and pulled away when my buddy suddenly yelled, "STOP!!". As I was stopping, I heard it leave the roof of my car and watched it slide down the windshield and then bounce along the hood. It came to rest toward the front of the hood, unscathed and working well. But yeah, be careful.

I prefer to use mine with the backlight on, but it's not a big deal to turn it on.

I carry it or stuff it in my pocket when I need my hands free.

Don't ask me how I know but the 60 csx can handle being submerged in Lake Huron.

I've found it to be a tough, reliable, accurate unit - in my experience more accurate and easier to use than the 62. I can zip it deep in my hunting pack and it will plot an accurate track even through heavy brush. Now if only it could do paperless caching!

No chance of me forgetting it though....I have to tell it I've found the cache and plan my route to the next one. I can't imagine hiking a mile and forgetting about it, lol. How would I know where I'm going? I hike in areas with lots of trails, and I could easily stray off my route...

I've done a fair few caching trails where you basically follow a single track for some distance. It's easy to see how people could put the GPS down, grab the cache, sign the log, put the cache back, set off for the next cache and not realise they were missing a GPS until they went to see how much further it was. If they had already seen that the next cache was in a mile where the path split it could easily be 15-20 minutes out, another 15-20 minutes back, and lots of crossed fingers that nobody had taken the GPS in the meantime.