FTF question / cache question

Davequal

As I was sitting home last night, with one of my caching buddy's a crap load of new caches popped up in my email. Most of them were ~15ish miles from home. As it turns out one was 5ish miles from us. We both stated what the heck lets go for it. Seeing that we both needed a FTF, and we have a pretty big group of hounds around.

Threw the cache in my GPSr and he had his smart phone. Out the door we went. I was the one who made the find. I went back and looked at the log this AM to make sure there no mistakes. I saw one DNF already from another cacher.

Aww what the heck here is the cache. I see nothing about the area being closed at sunset in the description.

What say you all...

Did you see the sign?

If not how were you to know?

I agree but now you know.

Check the park rules, looks like a state park, is that right? Does it say when it opens? Maybe next one you could wait.

But Heck WTG.

Edited by jellis

If the CO didn't place an attribute on it, didn't write in in the cache description and you didn't see a sign, how would you know the park hours?

Another found it after you.

However, reading the park's visitors page online does show the half hour before/after sunrise/sunset rules.

A sour grapes post from an unprepared,frustrated cacher isn't an issue.

Did you see the sign?

If not how were you to know?

Now consider what answer will work when you are talking to a peace officer.

I agree with that, but my post was based on the lack of info on the cache page. Here is another clear example of why as COs we need to give the cacher all the info they need to find the cache the RIGHT way.

Edited by Totem Clan

Seems like a number of people have edited their logs so maybe we're not getting the full information.

But, I think it's not a big deal. The cache owner, really, should have the park hours posted on teh cache page. Having said that, I don't think I ever post park hours on any of my caches. Not a big deal, people in our area seem to go out caching after dark all the time.

Seems like a number of people have edited their logs so maybe we're not getting the full information.

But, I think it's not a big deal. The cache owner, really, should have the park hours posted on teh cache page. Having said that, I don't think I ever post park hours on any of my caches. Not a big deal, people in our area seem to go out caching after dark all the time.

Ours are not going out at night as much for found caches but FTF they will risk it. :unsure:

One specific park I post hours and also make sure the reviewer knows to publish it in the daylight hours.

Edited by jellis

You get FTF. The other person chose not to go after the cache because they are not supposed to be there. Honestly how many LPC's, parking lot, guard rail caches etc have permission to be there? Until 100% of the caches have permission to be there, you got a FTF as fairly as someone who went out during a rainstorm with someone else saying the would've but it was too wet.

Given that this group often tends towards mild forms of anarchy I see no reason he shouldn't get credit for the FTF. No matter what the CO says you can claim it. It may not be recognized on the website but it will be in your stats forever.

Quite honestly if the CO expects everyone to not go to a park a night (especially for a FTF) he is a little naive.

Edited by Walts Hunting

Well that is the way I saw it. I was the first to sign... first to log it. There for it is my first FTF and it is a first to find.

Isn't it up the CO to assign FTF on his caches?

I usually wait until there are about 10 finds on my cache then congratulate the one I like the best. It really keeps those who have new cache notification turned on and run out right away to find those caches on their toes.

Congrats on your first FTF!! Sorry it had some angst involved (at least on others people's part). You signed the log first (doesn't matter who logs online first), thus you're FTF. Even if the cache had a ten-foot-tall sign next to GZ stating the park closed at dusk, nothing changes the fact that you signed the log first. I'm not advocating breaking park rules if one knows what they are or sees the sign, etc., but the first name on the log is the first name on the log. I would have gone for the cache at night without thinking twice about it unless the cache page told me that GZ had specific hours (or unless I saw a sign).

If it were me, I'd consider putting a note on the page saying, "Woops, sorry, didn't know the park closed at dusk - didn't see the sign - I was excited about the possibility of getting FTF and I ran out the door - now I know" (or something like that), but it's not at all necessary.

Congrats again!

I always assume a park closes at dusk.

Yeah, me too. For the most part, locally, any park not closed completely after dark requires camping permits. But even if the park was surrounded by a 10' wall of razor wire, and bristling with Ninja and snarling rabid guard dogs, with giant neon signs blinking "CLOSED" on all sides, he was still FTF. :ph34r:

I always assume a park closes at dusk.

Yeah, me too. For the most part, locally, any park not closed completely after dark requires camping permits. But even if the park was surrounded by a 10' wall of razor wire, and bristling with Ninja and snarling rabid guard dogs, with giant neon signs blinking "CLOSED" on all sides, he was still FTF. :ph34r:

Around here most of the parks are not closed at night as a matter of rule. There are no signs and there are no regulation in most of the small communities out here. The same is true for cemeteries. However if you go nosing around after at night in a place like that you will attract the nieghbors' attention. Almost everyone of whom of owns a gun, a big dog, and a phone. They will use all of them to make sure you are not up to no good. You take your own risk as to which one will be used first.

I don't do much (any) night caching unless it's designed to be a night cache so it wouldn't matter to me if it was closed or not.

For your penance you are required to hide 1 ammo can. Go forth and sin no more.

FTFY

Funny you should mention that. I have a brand spanking new (to me) .50 cal ammo can @ my feet, with a resident Geo coin destined to be part of a TB hotel chain at my feet :D