What To Pack

K_And_S

I did a search, but did not find what I was looking for.... My girlfriend and I are new to geocaching, and on somewhat of a budget, but safety and comfort are important. We have good boots, good backpacks, iphones, and a Explorist 310 GPS. We have had a bunch of fun searching out geocaches in a couple parks in our vicinity. Now, we will begin doing longer trips (all day rather than just a couple hours to the simple ones), and want to know what recommendations there are for packing. Here's what we already take:

1) Food & Water

2) GPS and spare batteries

3) both cell phones

4) simple med kit (my girlfriend is an EMT, so she built ours to be what she wanted)

5) flashlights

6) bug spray

What else would be recommended to carry? I do not plan at the current time to be out overnight or be on really rough terrain.

--drinking water

--toilet paper

--hand sanitizer

--camera

--flashlight and whistle for each person

--extra batteries for gps and camera

--pen, mechanical pencil, fine-point marker (yes, all 3)

--freezer bags, dollar-store notebooks

--paper towel to help clean up cache container/contents

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

If I'm urban or suburban caching all I carry is my GPS, some water and maybe a digital camera, some swag and in season, insect repellent.

If I'm caching in the woods I carry everything I would need to survive a night or two outdoors should I become lost or disabled. Yeah my pack is pretty heavy even for a walk of a mile or two.

First off, ALWAYS let someone know where you're going and check in if you're going to an area you hadn't planned to go!

After getting a nasty splinter and having it get infected, I NEVER go caching anymore without my splinter kit.

For us we (meaning me) carry:

General Caching:

GPS

Camera/Phone

Mini Tripod

First Aid Kit (Small one)

Batteries

Caching stickers (with our names on them)

Pens (lots)

Pencil sharpener (cause I'm nice and sharpen pencils in caches)

Pad of paper

Small resealable baggies (dollar store variety to get by till the CO can replace)

A few small trade items (we don't trade normally)

Hiking Caching Add

Hiking poles (trackable)

Water (take more than you think you'll need!!)

Food (protein bars, beef jerky, pita bread, mixed nuts, cheese, fruit leather)

Toilet Kit (Toilet paper, small bottle of water, soap, hand sanitizer)

Sunscreen & Bug Spray!!

Matches, Paper & space blanket(if we're going to a remote location)

Rain ponchos (even if it's going to be nice out)

Layered moisture wicking clothing (nothing too expensive)

Hat

First Aid Kit (Larger one to deal with blisters)

Yes this makes for a heavy-ish hiking pack, but believe me we've had to use every single item I've listed at one point or another. If you're smart, it's not that bad. Water will be the heaviest item, but if you get a decent backpack you can disperse the weight. I've had several years to refine our hiking packs.

Hope this helps :D

Edited by anakerose

Noob here, was gonna hit Wal-Mart for a few things and figured I'd check to see what I might be able to get to add to my bag, and this thread was very helpful. Already had figured on and added a bunch of things, but am definitely going to pick up a few more thanks to you guys.

Hat

Deet 40 spray

Hiking Boots

Long Pants

Hiking Stick

3" round extension mirror

Sharpie felt pen

Small pocket screwdriver ( or tweezers)

High intensity flashlight

Small leatherman

magnetic extension pick-up tool

GPS unit

probe ( 1/4" SS rod , one end bent and one end looped for attaching)turns over rocks, retrieves ammo cans, digs, etc.

All the above are carried in a belt pouch and used for ALL hunts, urban and woods.

As others have said long hikes in the woods require food, water, etc.

Because of micro proliferation the mirror may be the most used item followed by the probe and hiking stick.

Of course you could never carry everything that someone thinks is essential so after you've loaded yourself down with a few pounds of stuff, and after a few months find that some of it isn't necessary, don't hesitate to take it out of your bag.

Essentials are:

1. Something to get you where you need to be to find the cache.. map, GPS, instinct, or maybe all three.

2. a pen or pencil since it seems like fewer and fewer caches contain one.

For me everything else is optional depending on the intended itinerary.

We are new to geocaching and I am learning as I go. Since I just discovered these forums, I wasn't fortunate enough to have these great ideas over the last few days.

Bug spray!

Pen and paper

Signature items and swag

Tweezers and flashlight

Good walking shoes!

Hubby and I are bringing garbage bags too, so we can clean up trash we find near the caches..