SUBMITTED (33717) - Advanced Search Problem

flyfshrgrl

When I click on Advanced search options I receive the complete set of whatever topic I have requested; Sunday, it was Letterbox Hybrids within my zip code; Monday, it was Multi-Caches within my zip code. After previewing the first page in the listing, which is fine, when I click on either Next, the right arrow, or a specific page number, I am taken to all the caches within the parameter, zip code, e.g. The only time it worked, is the last page of Letterbox Hybrids, shows only LBHs, instead of everything.

I've just tried some Advanced Searches out... and I agree with you - Something's got broken.

I did an Advanced Search for Multis, by postcode: I got the first 4 pages OK (11.3 miles away) then page 5 gave me Trad caches (4.7miles away).

When I did AS for Letterbox hybrids, by postcode: I got only 2 pages, the furthest being at 21 miles.

Doing an AS for Multis by Country (UK) then region (South Wales) was even stranger: Pages 1, 2 were OK. The first on page 3 was a Multi, then the rest on that page were Trads. When I went backwards to page 2 that had changed to Trads... and page 1 had changed to Events!

I'll experiment a bit more later today. If it persists it should be reported as a bug.

MrsB :)

Result of "Search for geocaches" is not displayed correctly.

How to repro:

1. go to "Hide and Seek a geocache"

2. seek a cache by Country: Belgium

3. Search for: Traditonal cache

4. click on "Search for geocaches"

5. sort on Placed date

>> Total Records: 7512 - Page: 1 of 376

7-05-2012%2020-54-38.jpg

6. click a few times on Next >

7. after x pages: total records/pages are changed and list is showing ALL caches.

>> Total Records: 12581 - Page: 10 of 630

7-05-2012%2020-46-18.jpg

Edited by DanPan

I'm not sure whether what I observed is a bug, maybe it is intended. I decided to post my observations here nevertheless.

What I observed is the following

1) When using this page http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

for countries with a smaller number of caches (e.g. Croatia) one is not led to the form where one can specify further parameters (e.g. the cache type).

When first choosing a country with many caches (e.g. Germany) one can outsmart this process, restrict the search to e.g. Earthcaches and change afterwards the country to

say Croatia. Since this works, the database has all available information available. Why does the interface behave differently and not offer further choices for countries like Croatia? I do know that the issue does not occur if one goes via the advanced search page right from the beginning. I'm just curious about the reasons for the difference.

2) Regardless of whether one makes use of the advanced search routine or the "trick" mentioned above under 1), something quite unfortunate arises.

For example, the result page for Croatian Earthcaches provides three pages. Now if one clicks on one cache at page 1, then returns to page 1 and wants to proceed to page 2, this does not work any longer and provides a list of all Croatian caches instead with no filter any longer applied.

I had similar issues in other situations, but never took the time to ask about why this somehow unexpected behaviour is arising and whether there is hope for a fix.

Cezanne

for countries with a smaller number of caches (e.g. Croatia) one is not led to the form where one can specify further parameters (e.g. the cache type).

On that page, you can scroll down to the box that says "Other Search Options:" then in the lower part of that box, below the input areas, is a link to advanced search options. Use that page and you can enter the "further parameters" right from the start.

On that page, you can scroll down to the box that says "Other Search Options:" then in the lower part of that box, below the input areas, is a link to advanced search options. Use that page and you can enter the "further parameters" right from the start.

Yes, I'm aware of that and it is what I meant with using advanced search. Still I do not understand why the normal search behaves differently depending on the country. It is somehow not logical to me that it makes a difference which country I choose. One reason might be that for the countries with province/states subdivision on gc.com the advanced search form is automatically invoked, but still it appeared more intuitive to me that the same happens for countries like Croatia.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I had not seen the issue for #1, but I have noticed #2 before when doing advanced searches.

Me too, but I have not yet encountered a thread dealing with the issue. If one exists, links would be welcome.

Yup. I was just saying "me, too" to confirm that this isn't an isolated issue.

Repro:

Go to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=73

- In "Search for", choose "All Event Cache Types"

- Submit

Title at top of page says "Event Cache" - promising! Page 1 shows only Event caches. The count shows "Total Records: 55 - Page: 1 of 3".

But...

- Click on link for page 2 (or "Next").

A mixture of Event and other cache types appears. And the count shows "Total Records: 49733 - Page: 2 of 2487".

Conclusion: the fact that a cache type filter is in place should be encoded in the URL of subsequent links on the page.

When using advanced search,for example, searching for earthcaches, it will bring up a list, maybe 6 pages long which is what it should be doing. Everything workly correct so far, after viewing first page, going to second page,it might or might not be correct,often it defaults back to all types of caches. Some times it won't do it till page 3 or so. This will happen doing searches for other caches,like virtuals also. Using windows 7 64 bit computer.Is there a work around this? Happens also on computer using visa 64 bit.

Hi guys,

I found a bug in the advanced search on geocaching.com.(http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx)

When you search for a specific cache type, in my example Search for: all event caches and by: Country and Country: Netherlands and you hit search you see event caches. When you go to page 2 you see that the cache types are mixed up.

Example:

eventcaches.png

http://ewoudbeets.nl/eventcaches.png

Edit: Sorry wrong section, can moderator move it please :-)

Edited by Geo-Ewoud

I do a search for all Earthcaches in a country (South Africa). I get the first page with the 20 newest earthcaches - and an indication that there are 169 ECs in South Africa - ALL GOOD

Now I click on either "Next" or "2" to go to the next page - and I get the newest "all" caches including traditionals, puzzles and multis.

How Can I scroll through all the Earthcaches on the search?