Geocacher name

RockhoundMT

A friend of mine wants to open his own account and the name he picked is already taken. Not a big surprise but here's the thing. The cacher that took the name has only found 1 cache...in 2001...and has been inactive since. Is there anyway to "adopt" that name if the original cacher doesn't mind?

There is no adoption process that I am aware of for user names.

However, your friend could always attempt to contact the current owner of the name and ask if he's willing to give it up. All it would take is giving your friend the password. Then your friend could login and change the email and other particulars to his own.

A friend of mine wants to open his own account and the name he picked is already taken. Not a big surprise but here's the thing. The cacher that took the name has only found 1 cache...in 2001...and has been inactive since. Is there anyway to "adopt" that name if the original cacher doesn't mind?

There is no adoption process that I am aware of for user names.

However, your friend could always attempt to contact the current owner of the name and ask if he's willing to give it up. All it would take is giving your friend the password. Then your friend could login and change the email and other particulars to his own.

and get a free smiley to boot! Naw, I think if there is any finds, even one, that name is pretty well locked down.

You can add a period or * at the end of the name and use it. That is why I am webscouter. and not webscouter

More elegant is to use ALT-255 (FFh) as the last char of the name and it looks just like the name you want.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "ALT-255 (FFh"...

hold ALT key down while typing numpad 2-5-5 then let up on ALT key and you'll see the cursor advance

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "ALT-255 (FFh"...

hold ALT key down while typing numpad 2-5-5 then let up on ALT key and you'll see the cursor advance

That way the name appears just as you like, but the system thinks there is another character typed in. It is only a blank space, but the system thinks there is an actual character in the name. No need for a period or underscore this way.

Another option is to use the name you wish and add the ™ after it by using alt-0153 this way Bob appears as Bob™

Simply type the name you like then hold ALT as you type 0153 on the number pad, release ALT key and the ™ appears

Here is a link to a site that lists the Alt Codes for all the special characters.

Another way to do it is to find what you're looking for on another web page and then just copy and paste it into the doc / forum you want.

Nice tip about the Alt 255, although I could see abuses taking place.

Abuses? nope!

the line under your name will extend under the extra character.

Here is a link to a site that lists the Alt Codes for all the special characters.

Another way to do it is to find what you're looking for on another web page and then just copy and paste it into the doc / forum you want.

Nice tip about the Alt 255, although I could see abuses taking place.

Maybe not abuse, but a name such as º can certainly be confusing if seen in a log.

The best name I've seen is Johnny Cache and I was surprised to see it took till 2008 for someone to nab it.