Turn anything into a trackable coin

Typhakneeb

I'm wondering if it's possible to take something that isn't a trackable and make it one. Example--I have a memorial coin for a deceased noteable. I wanted to use it as a FTF but be able to track it as it went from cache to cache. Is there a way I can make it turn into a trackable without attaching it to another tracking item?

I'm wondering if it's possible to take something that isn't a trackable and make it one. Example--I have a memorial coin for a deceased noteable. I wanted to use it as a FTF but be able to track it as it went from cache to cache. Is there a way I can make it turn into a trackable without attaching it to another tracking item?

It's got to say "track at Geocaching.com", or there will be confusion. It also needs the tracking number. Unless you can fit all that legibly onto the coin, it's better to use a Travel Bug dog tag to track it. It's a good idea to have an info sheet, so you need to attach that anyway.

Maybe engrave the tracking number on the coin (if there's room), drill a hole, and attach the TB tag (and info sheet if you want) with a split ring or cable.

And, if you make it a "FTF prize", be sure it's clear that it's already activated, owned by you. Otherwise, that's definitely gonna cause some confusion.

Edited by kunarion

It's got to say "track at Geocaching.com", or there will be confusion. It also needs the tracking number. Unless you can fit all that legibly onto the coin, it's better to use a Travel Bug dog tag to track it. It's a good idea to have an info sheet, so you need to attach that anyway.

Maybe engrave the tracking number on the coin (if there's room), drill a hole, and attach the TB tag (and info sheet if you want) with a split ring or cable.

And, if you make it a "FTF prize", be sure it's clear that it's already activated, owned by you. Otherwise, that's definitely gonna cause some confusion.

What do you mean "It's a good idea to have an info sheet, so you need to attach that anyway"? Do I need to attach an info sheet to all coins/TBs? If I want to track where the coins go, it's best to drill a hole in it and attach a travel bug you say?

I have an idea. I saw

where someone put a coin in an Altoids tin with an info sheet. You could put the tracking number on the tin if you didn't want to engrave or drill your coin. It might be a good idea to include photos of your coin in the tin on its page so people will understand what they found.

I have an idea. I saw

where someone put a coin in an Altoids tin with an info sheet. You could put the tracking number on the tin if you didn't want to engrave or drill your coin. It might be a good idea to include photos of your coin in the tin on its page so people will understand what they found.

What is this info sheet you're all talking about and where would I even get a usable tracking code?? Couldn't I just make it like a geo-coin is with a trackable feature and make up a code or something?

Be careful about releasing something you care about into the wild. Sometimes it travels far and wide but often it becomes an interesting bit of shiny metal that gets collected by those with different intentions than you had planned.

The easiest way is to drill a hole and attach a Travel Bug Dog Tag. If you want to find out how to create/mint a run of geocoins look in the Knowledge Book.

Edited by Droo

What is this info sheet you're all talking about and where would I even get a usable tracking code?? Couldn't I just make it like a geo-coin is with a trackable feature and make up a code or something?

You probably haven't thought of it yet. But the tracking number is a source of income for Groundspeak or geocaching.com.

The sell the numbers, usually on a TB tag or a geocoin. It is a matter of using THEIR site for the tracking, THEY sell the number.

You cannot create a tracking number of your own and have the website do the tracking for you.

Anything outside of the "norm" will most certainly be ignored by many geocachers. If it is not a recognizable Travel Bug or geocoin, it will most likely be ignored -- or simply taken and kept as SWAG.

Aside from that -- if the coin is a memento and has value to you (sentimental or otherwise) you must consider that it will most likely become lost, never to return to you.

What do you mean "It's a good idea to have an info sheet, so you need to attach that anyway"? Do I need to attach an info sheet to all coins/TBs? If I want to track where the coins go, it's best to drill a hole in it and attach a travel bug you say?

Info sheets are always an excellent plan as they give the person picking up the coin/item immediate information about the item and it's mission. PLUS - with leaving it as a FTF it makes it clear that it isn't a FTF Prize (which often coins left in a new cache are). It just takes all the confusion out of it and makes it very clear what is going on. :)

Oh, and as Droo said, be careful about releasing something you care about as many geocoins/coins go missing within only a few caches of being released. Really ugly items and items with a Travel Bug tag attached usually fare a lot better.

As for what you are wanting to release - I would just buy a Travel Bug tag and drill you coins to attach it. Also include a laminated info sheet (business card size) with some information about the item and it's mission.

Edited by keewee

There's another option, especially if the item has significant value to you and you wouldn't want to see it disappear: proxies. A proxy is a photo or photocopy of an item with tracking information included.

If you search the Forum for the term "proxy", you will discover that there's a bit of a controversy. Some cachers really, really, really hate proxy coins. Generally, those folks want to hold an actual coin (or item) in their hands. Some hate them so much they'll go out of their way to destroy them. Of course, since it's a proxy, it doesn't really matter, ultimately -- and in my opinion, it's better to lose a proxy to someone like than than an actual coin to a coin thief or uneducated cacher (who doesn't know how the tracking system works).

If your coin is something that is very meaningful to you, here's what I'd recommend: keep it. Buy a travel bug dog tag (which is relatively inexpensive) so that you get a tracking code. Then, take a high-resolution photos of your item, both sides to create a proxy. Since your item is a coin (presumeably round), you could use your photo-editing or graphics software to add a ring around the item that says something like "track me on geocaching.com" and the tracking number. On the other side, the ring could include text like (for example) bright red text that says "I am a traveller, DO NOT KEEP ME!".

I'd recommend sandwiching a same-sized washer between the two photos (one of each side) or some other disk of metal (with a washer, I'd also recommend using resin, like "Kneadatite", to fill in the hole, then sand it down smooth once it's cured). That will give your proxy coin some weight.

Next, purchase a coin container. This is a clear, round plastic case(I did a quick Google and found one type marketed under the brand "Air Tite" - google that if you want to see what I'm talking about). Put your proxy into this. Now your proxy will look very much -- and feel very much -- like a coin.

HOWEVER! To dissuade the purists, make sure that when you activate your TB code number and set up your coin's tracking page, that the description makes it very clear that it's a proxy. "This is a proxy of my memorial coin, it is not the actual coin". That way, provided that the cacher actually looks at the page before he or she goes for the cache, there's been forewarning that it's not a coin. Additionally, the coin will have the standard TB icon, which will also help prevent people from thinking that they're going to be handling an actual coin.

IMPORTANT! Once you release your coin into "the wild", keep the actual TB dog tags! There can only be one actual trackable per tracking code - releasing multiple items with the same code is against the rules and can lead to your item being locked (untrackable on the website).

I hope this helps. Have fun!

Actually if its a FTF prize it shouldn't be activated by the owner, that should be left to the winner of the coin. activation codes and this is ftf prize should be with the coin.

if ftf doesn't take it then it should be treated as swag and traded equally or up for.

Edited by power69

Actually if its a FTF prize it shouldn't be activated by the owner, that should be left to the winner of the coin. activation codes and this is ftf prize should be with the coin.

if ftf doesn't take it then it should be treated as swag and traded equally or up for.

The OP didn't specifically say it was a FTF prize, just that it was there for the FTF'er.

Plus, even if was a prize you can leave it there already activated and then adopt it over to the FTF'er. That way you ensure it is activated, and hopefully it goes travelling. I've seen this done before as an encouragement for prize coins to be got out there travelling, rather than just sitting in a drawer.

I think if I were making it an FTF prize, I'd probably leave it unregistered. Maybe watch out for it becoming registered and politely request the owner identify how they came by it.

I've subsequently started to make "anything I want" a trackable coin. I found a retailer of official personal geocoin numbers. I can bed pretty well anything in polyester resin, along with a decal identifying it as trackable on geocaching.com.

Here's one I made for myself: http://coord.info/TB50N32

One for a friend: http://coord.info/TB58NYJ (look at the gallery for this one!)

And one re-used number for my son: http://coord.info/TB3Q4BJ (we kept the original).

Groundspeak sell them, but the minimum order quantity is 50 and, while that was too many for me in the first instance, I wish I had ordered them that way now! There are a few of resellers. Not sure if I'm entitled to post a link, but if you Google "tracking numbers for personal geocoins" you will find something on the first page.

NB: the following: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=116641 is the up-to-date policy (with change history) on creating trackable coins.