Rubbish Swaps

We have only been Geocaching for a very short time, but in that time I have noticed that our area has caches with totally rubbish swaps! Why do follow Geochache addicts think that any one would want dirty, broken ornaments and other such trash? We have hidden a few caches with some great swaps in them, and some swaps are valued at $5+ in our caches and been swapped for a pathtag. This isnt toooo bad, but im pretty sure the aim is to swap for something of equal or greater value. I know this is possibly all part of Geocaching, but it is driving me mad that EVERY cache in our area is so bad for swaps that we feel we need to leave swaps in every one just to improve it.... and there is never anything worth taking!

The degeneration of swag discussion is generally held on the fourth Wednesday so everyone can gnash their teeth and rend their hair in unison. Good group therapy. What you describe is how it is no sense in getting your knickers in a bunch over something that will not change. recite Serenity prayer the times and have a drink.

We have only been Geocaching for a very short time, but in that time I have noticed that our area has caches with totally rubbish swaps! Why do follow Geochache addicts think that any one would want dirty, broken ornaments and other such trash? We have hidden a few caches with some great swaps in them, and some swaps are valued at $5+ in our caches and been swapped for a pathtag. This isnt toooo bad, but im pretty sure the aim is to swap for something of equal or greater value. I know this is possibly all part of Geocaching, but it is driving me mad that EVERY cache in our area is so bad for swaps that we feel we need to leave swaps in every one just to improve it.... and there is never anything worth taking!

It would help if cache owners periodically cleaned out the rubbish and wiped down the boxes. I like leaving my signature items but will not leave them in caches that haven't been maintained and look like they never will be. I will not leave them in leaky caches. If I find a cache that generally looks cared for I will help by clearing the cache of the few bits of trash. But if it's degenerated to the point that I don't want to touch the dirty, moldy, rusty stuff (often including the messy, falling-apart logbook), that's a job for the CO.

Regarding expensive swag, $5+. I would not trade for expensive swag. Let's say someone leaves a Silva Polaris Compass valued at $12 (new). I'd rather go out and buy a new one then swap the one in the cache for another $12 item - which I wouldn't be carrying, so I wouldn't swap for it. I prefer creative inexpensive swag - sig items, handmade items, cute items, funny items, practical items. See my signature for some of my favorite swag items that I've collected. For me, it doesn't have to be expensive to be fun.

I know this is possibly all part of Geocaching...

Actually, no it is not. It is part of humanity, though.

That said, one must realize that without humanity, there would be no geocaching.

Many geocachers like and adhere to the trade principles long ago established as trade even or trade up.

Some geocachers, sadly, are in it to get what they can. Principles? What are those?

It takes but a few of the latter to make it seem or appear that all geocachers work that way. Once a new cache is listed, those few raid and plunder to their hearts' content. Soon, just what is left to trade besides junk?

In reality, we cannot blame it all on (true) geocachers. Once a cache is discovered by muggles, especially local kids, it is doomed. Not all muggles steal the cache itself or completely empty it. They see it as their own little "treasure trove" and return time and time again taking out the "good" stuff.

Stay with it longer and you will find geocachers that carry lots of SWAG, solely with the intent of putting things into a cache that either has nothing or has degraded to the likes of a trash receptacle. Mostly however, a greater number of cachers do not trade at all, I would guess because they have noticed exactly what you have posted about. They simply geocache to sign the log, get the smiley, and move on. This isn't bad, it just doesn't help to keep the cache loaded "up to snuff".

Most geocachers I know of that have gone to the extent of having (unmentionable)-tags made as signature items, don't use them as SWAG trade items. They use them as "signature trade" items -- a little different than trading them for SWAG. In my view, properly so.

The only thing that you can do about it is to lead by example. If you want to trade, trade with principles in mind. Perhaps, just maybe, others will notice and will follow suit. If this is too bothersome of an approach, then don't trade at all. Simply enjoy geocaching as a hunt or an adventure out and about. Hopefully you will find some spots or locations that are really nice, aware that you would have never ever found it without geocaching.

Wishing you happy trails...

This is the very reason I don't trade items anymore. I used to carry a nice selection of trade items in my geopack but the quality of cache items deteriorated so badly in my area that I just quit carrying them. Less weight to deal with. :laughing: I also suspect we have a group of "cache raiders" operating in the area.

I feel the same about geocoins and TB's. I rarely see either anymore. They are placed in a cache and disappear very soon after and end up in a black hole somewhere. When I am fortunate to help travelers move on, however, I do my best to place them in caches I consider to be muggle resistant.

I guess we are experiencing the evolution of geocaching without trade items or travelers. This may have something to do with the fact that the greatest majority of caches in my area are now micros.

there are often neat bits of swag one can get for a buck. We have this comedy gag store which has lots of lots of little animals and trinkets called Archie McPhee's. Just because a piece of swag is only 50 cents or a buck does not mean its not liked. My 3 year old likes those little animals and was amused for a good few hours yesterday over probably a little mini plastic telescope which probably only cost $2.

See my signature for some of my favorite swag items that I've collected. For me, it doesn't have to be expensive to be fun.

Now that's what I call swag.

I wish more swag were as worth finding as these items... and that more caches were worthy of holding them. I enjoy trading and sometimes when I find a cache that lacks anything I want to trade for I'll just leave something, take nothing... but only if it's a clean, dry, well maintained cache.

Generally I leave inexpensive, non handmade, but (in my mind) fun or practical things, but I might work up some handmade swag one of these days. I like the "lead by example" advice. The "I don't even bother any more" response is, I humbly suggest, more a part of the problem than the solution.

This has generally been the case since some time in 2000. :lol:

Except in the more off-the-beaten-path caches, cache content quality tends to go downhill rather rapidly.

I agree. I quit caching 6 years ago, and only restarted late last year. This exact same thread could easily have been had when I started in 2003, when I quit in 2005, or obviously today.

It would help if cache owners periodically cleaned out the rubbish and wiped down the boxes. I like leaving my signature items but will not leave them in caches that haven't been maintained and look like they never will be. I will not leave them in leaky caches. If I find a cache that generally looks cared for I will help by clearing the cache of the few bits of trash. But if it's degenerated to the point that I don't want to touch the dirty, moldy, rusty stuff (often including the messy, falling-apart logbook), that's a job for the CO.

Regarding expensive swag, $5+. I would not trade for expensive swag. Let's say someone leaves a Silva Polaris Compass valued at $12 (new). I'd rather go out and buy a new one then swap the one in the cache for another $12 item - which I wouldn't be carrying, so I wouldn't swap for it. I prefer creative inexpensive swag - sig items, handmade items, cute items, funny items, practical items. See my signature for some of my favorite swag items that I've collected. For me, it doesn't have to be expensive to be fun.

I've come across a few of your items and I have to say they are really nice. I really loved the Mickey Mouse matchstick notepad! It's nice to see that some people put some thought into the swag they leave. I usually leave a hand-painted butterfly suncather.

I'm a swag addict. I love filling caches up with swag.

To me, swag is an integeral part of geocaching. At least for the larger type caches. I consider filling up caches with swag as my way to give back to the geocaching community. Instead of getting upset with finding empty caches I decided to do something about. I now have 2 big plastic storage bins full of swag that I use to fill up caches. The things is that it doesn't have to be expensive to be decent swag. Dollar store stuff......pfft. I hardly ever pay more than 50 cents for anything and most stuff I get is around 25 cents. (The clearance aisle at any store is your friend). When stuff is bought this cheap it only cost about 6 or 7 dollars to fill a cache. And is somebody doesn't trade for anything then it's no big loss.

Here are a few examples of trades that only cost a few dollars despite how much was traded.

T-Regional Jet Pin.

L-200 Feet of Twine, 2 Packs of Colored Paper Clips, Protractor, LOVE Metal Candle Holder, 10 Pak of Pencils, 4 Create a Necklace Kits, 2 Green Bracelets, Heart Shaped Earrings, Big Smiley Face, Turquoise/Wood Bracelet, Praying Mantis Figure, Glass Votive Candle Holder. TB.

T-One Used Sock, No Wing Airplane.

L-Magnetic Push Pins, 5 10-paks Pencils, Christmas Bandana, Fancy Thumbtacks, Girls Pliers, Santa Claus Hat, 2 Paks Decorative Paper Clips, 2 Plastic Shot Glasses, Tennessee Titans Mini Helmet, Pink Glow Stick, Guitar Shaped Luggage Tag, Magnetic Picture Frame, New York Giants Sticker, Indianapolis Colts Sticker,2 Nascar Stickers, Bag of Stretchy Mice, 3-pak LED Keychains, New Black Flip Flops, Small Hammer, Fancy Thumbtacks, 2lb Bag of Decorative Stones, South of The Border Pedro Sticker, $1.00.

I've come across a few of your items and I have to say they are really nice. I really loved the Mickey Mouse matchstick notepad! It's nice to see that some people put some thought into the swag they leave. I usually leave a hand-painted butterfly suncather.

Thank you. Nice to know my little handmade notepads are appreciated. I think I'm going to make a few more. :) I have some Harley Davidson cardstock that might be fun to turn into small notebooks.

As others have suggested we have a large supply of cheap swag for the kiddies to enjoy and we often leave swag in caches and take nothing in hope of improving the situaton.

We have 3 geo kids and they are certainly learning the art of giving without recieving.

It is a tad frustrating when you hide several caches in 1 day and the same person is FTF all of them and they take the best item from every cache and leave an item of much less value in its place.... especially when they dont have any geo kids to enjoy the item they took, (disadvantage of knowing everyone in your rural area).

We will continue to leave only good quality swag so children continue to enjoy caching, but might have to focus on leaving items that the mature cachers arent interested in.

It is all a learning experience I guess :)

It is a tad frustrating when you hide several caches in 1 day and the same person is FTF all of them and they take the best item from every cache and leave an item of much less value in its place.... especially when they dont have any geo kids to enjoy the item they took, (disadvantage of knowing everyone in your rural area).

It is not an uncommon practice for there to be an especially nice item in a cache as a token for the FTF. That finder may assume that's the case with your caches. They could also just be cheap and selfish.

I know this is possibly all part of Geocaching...

Actually, no it is not. It is part of humanity, though.

+1

It's just how people are. It's amazing how many people want you to do something for them for free and it's like "Do you go to the grocery store and pull this on the cashier?" :huh:

You have to realize there's not a lot you can do about what other people do and move on. You can't control what other people do.

What you can do is either play fair (trade up or even) or throw out obvious junk items and replace them and/or restock empty or junky caches :)

It is also worth considering that maybe the swag wasn't rubbish when it was left in the cache. Maybe someone would have welcomed that coupon four years ago, or that ornament was clean and pretty, or that keyring was brand new. But there was some condensation in the cache and someone set a heavy rock on top of the container, and now the keyring is rusty and the ornament is broken.

I suspect children when I find a bedraggled feather or an unpolished rock in the cache. As for dirty golf balls, I used to throw them away, but I have learned that they can be good finds for golfers.

I'm a swag addict. I love filling caches up with swag.

To me, swag is an integeral part of geocaching. At least for the larger type caches. I consider filling up caches with swag as my way to give back to the geocaching community. Instead of getting upset with finding empty caches I decided to do something about. I now have 2 big plastic storage bins full of swag that I use to fill up caches. The things is that it doesn't have to be expensive to be decent swag. Dollar store stuff......pfft. I hardly ever pay more than 50 cents for anything and most stuff I get is around 25 cents. (The clearance aisle at any store is your friend). When stuff is bought this cheap it only cost about 6 or 7 dollars to fill a cache. And is somebody doesn't trade for anything then it's no big loss.

You can get a pretty big bag of "jeweled" rings or other shiny objects or various party favors, at a dollar store. It can really perk up the swag, pretty cheaply. I like to add lots of stuff to the sad caches, but only if they seem to be deteriorated by time. If they appear to be regularly raided (found by neighbor kids long ago), I'll usually leave those as is.