Things Newbies Should Know

6NoisyHikers

So I took a friend out for her first day of geocaching yesterday - I see she hasn't logged her finds yet so I expect I'll be getting a call about how to do that soon - and these were some of the tips and tricks I shared with her (in no particular order):

1. MARK YOUR CAR - get the co-ordinates of your car or the trailhead where you started so you can find your way back home.

2. ALWAYS CARRY EXTRA BATTERIES - for your flashlight and your GPS.

3. CLEAN UP A CACHE - don't be afraid to take out swag that is damaged or inappropriate (wet stickers, tattoos, burst batteries or any unmentionables). Dry out a container if it needs it.

4. MINIMUM 25 FINDS - before you even think about hiding your own cache. When you do hide one, make sure the location means something to you and that you will be able to take care of the container.

5. WRITE A GOOD LOG - be friendly, share your experience and also let the cache owner know the status of the container: in good shape or needs some TLC.

It's a wet winter in suburban BC so we haven't discussed ticks or tree-climbing safety yet. If she's still hooked in the spring we'll continue the conversation. Meanwhile, what else can we tell curious newcomers?

So I took a friend out for her first day of geocaching yesterday - I see she hasn't logged her finds yet so I expect I'll be getting a call about how to do that soon - and these were some of the tips and tricks I shared with her (in no particular order):

1. MARK YOUR CAR - get the co-ordinates of your car or the trailhead where you started so you can find your way back home.

3. CLEAN UP A CACHE - don't be afraid to take out swag that is damaged or inappropriate (wet stickers, tattoos, burst batteries or any unmentionables). Dry out a container if it needs it.

4. MINIMUM 25 FINDS - before you even think about hiding your own cache. When you do hide one, make sure the location means something to you and that you will be able to take care of the container.

5. WRITE A GOOD LOG - be friendly, share your experience and also let the cache owner know the status of the container: in good shape or needs some TLC.

It's a wet winter in suburban BC so we haven't discussed ticks or tree-climbing safety yet. If she's still hooked in the spring we'll continue the conversation. Meanwhile, what else can we tell curious newcomers?

Excellent advice. Short too so it"s not overwhelming.

All good advice... but I would probably say at lest 50-100 finds before even thinking of hiding your own... That isn't a whole lot, and you really do need the experience before placing one.

I think it is very good advice. The only one that I would say is not set in stone is the one about not hiding until you find at least 25. While I see the logic, everyone is different. Some people say 100. I think some people might come up with good hides after even 5 or 10. While I agree with it, I have also found some very good caches hidden by people that were super new to the game. I have also found hides that weren't as good that were placed by "veterans".

You really can't set an exact number for this. Basically, new cachers should find a variety of different types of hides and gain a good understanding of how caches are hidden and maintained. In some places, a new cacher's first 25 finds might all be magnetic key-hides or film canisters, and it might take hundreds before they really understand the process. In other places, a cacher might understand after only a couple of finds.

I'd like to add another couple of points:

6. READ THE DESCRIPTION - It could contain critical information that can help you avoid illegal, dangerous, or just unintended situations.

7. HAVE FUN! - Go for caches you think you'll enjoy! If you approach GZ, and don't like what you see, turn around and move on to the next one.

You really can't set an exact number for this. Basically, new cachers should find a variety of different types of hides and gain a good understanding of how caches are hidden and maintained. In some places, a new cacher's first 25 finds might all be magnetic key-hides or film canisters, and it might take hundreds before they really understand the process. In other places, a cacher might understand after only a couple of finds.

Exactly.

Finding 25 single-stage, park & grab micros will lead the new cacher to believe that all caches are the same.

Expand your horizons...find a variety of sizes, cache types, and locations.

As a new cacher (99 finds) I think those are excellent "should knows"

I agree with adding the ones that The A-Team posted.

I have also found that especially if we have "problems" finding a cache if we read the comments a lot of times we find "hints"

Edited to add:

I also agree with learning more & expanding knowledge before actually planting a cache. We have some across many that we feel were just thrown out there for no other reason than to add to their "cache hide" number. Then too many times those are the ones that receive little or no maintenance.

We are planning to plant our first cache. But just in the planning stage because we want it to be a good one in a meaningful place. We know a place we'd love, but there is another that although it's across a small hwy, we think it'd be considered too close. Oh well, will think of something better :laughing:

Edited by Dancing_Duo

All good advice... but I would probably say at lest 50-100 finds before even thinking of hiding your own... That isn't a whole lot, and you really do need the experience before placing one.

I do agree with you - the more caching experience the better.

I picked 25 as a number partly because I know my friend. It seemed like a number she could be convinced to achieve. She tends to be impulsive, (I told her not to buy a GPS until she had come along with me a few times, but she went out and spent $200 on an explorist anyway) and I think she would be more likely to ignore a suggestion of 50-100 finds.

Fortunately, it looks as though I will have some "control" over her caching experiences so I promise to make sure she gets the full gamut of hide size/terrain/difficulty/cleverness :D

Oh! And:

8. STOP AND LOOK AROUND - When your GPS says you are within 10 metres (30 feet), stop looking at the screen and start searching. The point where your GPS says "zero" is rarely where you'll find the cache. Read the description, the hint if you are really stuck, and explore the area.

Good one!

At the risk of getting boring, because I try and plug this idea as often as possible...

When you take a trackable travel bug or geocoin from a cache make a note of its tracking number ASAP - in a notebook, or take a photo of it.

Logging trackables correctly can be tricky the first few times you do it but mistakes can always be corrected... as long as you have the magic tracking number! :)

MrsB

At the risk of getting boring, because I try and plug this idea as often as possible...

When you take a trackable travel bug or geocoin from a cache make a note of its tracking number ASAP - in a notebook, or take a photo of it.

Logging trackables correctly can be tricky the first few times you do it but mistakes can always be corrected... as long as you have the magic tracking number! :)

MrsB

I learned that one the hard way with a Peanut Coin that I dropped while on a roadtrip. I emailed the guy who picked it up, hoping he might give me the TB# so I could log it properly, but I got no reply. I left a note on the TB page saying where I had dropped it just so the owner would know it had been there.

12. NO MUST-STAY-DRY SWAG

This was encountered in a humorous way with a local cache:

We had a good laugh at the cache....it has taken on a bit of water apparently, but someone had left one of those little 'grow' creatures for trade at some point...the ones that absorb tons of water and expand. Well, he is being very helpful keeping the water tied up! We took a picture because it was just too funny.

12. NO MUST-STAY-DRY SWAG

This was encountered in a humorous way with a local cache:

We had a good laugh at the cache....it has taken on a bit of water apparently, but someone had left one of those little 'grow' creatures for trade at some point...the ones that absorb tons of water and expand. Well, he is being very helpful keeping the water tied up! We took a picture because it was just too funny.

So we now have a more efficient alternative than silica packets? :blink: Actually, those grow-thingys get very slimy so please don't put those in caches to help keep them dry!

10. OPEN AND CLOSE THE CACHE CAREFULLY - make sure the ziplock is sealed, the lid is on right, the lock tabs locked without any of the contents sticking out. Try not to let rain or dirt into the cache.

Great thought for all of us to remember. This winter, I've seen three ammo cans, (one of them on one of my caches.)that had to have a lot of water poured out and the contents dried out because someone didn't close them right.

How hard can it be to take a second and be sure the container is closed correctly?

As another newbie I'd add the following:

• Remember that the fastest way to the cache is not always in a straight line. I did far too much bushwacking on my earliest easy terrain caches. Most of the time there is a path of some sort that may look like isn't going where you want it to but, eventually, gets you pretty close. If the CO marked it a 1star you can be reasonably sure they weren't diving through ticks and thorns so why should you?
  • Terrain ratings are just a guideline. They can be off by a full rating or more because the CO didn't follow/agree with the guidelines, because weather has an impact on a particular day, or because the conditions around the cache vary significantly by season.

Good advice, but warning on the 25 finds prior to hiding. I have seen some very good caches come from folks with 5 hides, while (even more predominant) I have seen some poor quality caches and guideline errors from folks that have 100's or even 1000's of finds. Experience helps with judgement, but you can still easiy get there with imagination and research.

About a year ago we had a discussion on a Dutch geocaching site about 'basis values'. The result is a list of basic values that every cacher should know. I'll try to translate them, maybe it is a valuable contribution to this topic.

1 SECRET

Geocaching is a sneaky hobby. Don't show muggles (not-geocachers) what you are doing. This prevents geocaches to be ripped.

2 WHO

Everybody has the right to play the hobby on his own way. Show respect for other cachers. Geocaching is for everybody. Remind that when logging, exchanging goodies or placing geocaching. Don't bring other people in danger and don't hurt other players.

3 SEARCHING

Respect your environment and the rules of the area, take care of it. Stay on paths, take trash with you (CiTo). You don't have to dig. It's not necessary to pass prohibition signs. There's often been consultation about permission to place a geocache. Don't bring this permission in danger.

4 FINDING

Take care of the cache. Open and close it carefully, if necessary clean it. Place the geocache at the same place where you found it. Exchange goodies if you like that, but trade up, not trade down. Trackable items are supposed to travel. Take them only if you can drop then in a reasonable periode (two weeks). Retrieve trackables. Wait a week before you grab a trackable, the cacher that dropped the trackable may not have access to internet.

5 LOGGING on the internet

Cache owners and other geocachers likes a log that describes your adventures. Log if you used the hint. It's offcourse not the intention that you give away information in text or in photo's about the place where the cache is hidden. Be honest in your opinion about the cache, but write a critical opinion in a constructive way: it's your hobby, but also the hobby of the cache-owner.

Post a not-found log if you didn't find the cache, even if you expect that it is still there. Cache-owners can use this information to see how difficult their caches are. Post a note if you want to notice something. Be careful with "needs maintenance" and "needs archived" logs.

6 PLACING A CACHE

Don't feel obliged to place a cache. There a enough caches in the Netherlands. Some cachers like placing caches, others like to find them. Ask yourself, if you want to place a cache, if you would appreciate it when you find it. Find all caches in the area where you want to place the cache, to prevent that your caches comes to close to another cache. Use the checklist.

7 ENJOY

Don't forget to enjoy. It's a hobby.

#15.2: TRACKABLES ARE NOT SWAG. You don't have to trade for them, but you also don't get to keep them. If you find an item with any sort of code number on it, its purpose is to move from cache to cache. Trackables may look like a lot of different things; dog tags with toys attached to them, fancy coins in a variety of sizes, metal tags in various shapes. They must be logged on the geocaching website (see: Find Trackables).

If you aren't sure what to do with a trackable - PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT! Learn first, play later.