New Cache Size Option...Small?

targetdrone

I'll second that. I just placed one that was made from a vitamin bottle, about 2.5" in diameter and about 4" tall. The place I put it, I feel, would be deceptive if I called it a "regular" as even a small tupperware wouldn't fit. So I had to called it a micro, even though it's pretty large for a micro.

I also think the category for large should be changed from 5 gallons to 3 gallons. A 3 gallon container is much larger than a tupperware container. Anything above that will be fairly obvious where it's at and what you can put in there. Just a thought.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I placed a cache this past Friday that has a micro with coordinates in it and then a mini-cache. I made sure to list the size on the cache page. Take a look at it:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=50573

Is this how you guys are listing them, by including the container size?

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

quote:
Originally posted by jeff35080:

Is this how you guys are listing them, by including the container size?

When you report a cache, there is an option to report what size the cache is. Most of us use that. I like to use that because some people like micros and this will let them know about it.

CR

72057_2000.gif

There are a bunch of 35mm micro caches in the area, but as far as I can tell, there is no special icon for micro vs. normal cache. It sure would be helpful when web searching before caching if it were obvious which cahces were micros. (Nothing more frustrating than trying to stuff a big travel bug into a 35mm can. =)

I bought a package of containers from Zellers and was surprised with all the tiny containers it held, I had no clue what to do with them untill I started Cacheing, I'm making two small caches and have enough boxes for several more.

the biggest thing that could fit into one of these boxes is a hotweels car and a few other nicnacks I'm also thinking of a themed cache for pins I'll have to gather enough pins to start it.

So I thinks size small would be a great option

More to see, More to do

I've been placing caches in a container about two inches in diameter by about six inches tall, and I too have been torn between calling it "regular" or a "micro." My solution has been to describe the container in the text portion of the cache page, but I would much rather have the option of a check-off small size; the less description I have to do on the cache page the better.

We're new to geocaching, but are discovering LOTS of micros listed. The kids don't want to search for micros...they like doing the trades. It would be MUCH EASIER for us parents searching for caches if the search results indicated micros with "micro cache" instead of "regular cache" when the cursor passes over the container icon (similar to the virtual caches indicated by "virtual cache"). A picture of a very small container instead of the standard one would also be a BIG help. Then, we wouldn't have to go to the cache description page to see if a cache is a micro one or not. Hope you consider this modification because more micros seem to be placed in our area lately than regular caches.

quote:
Originally posted by noise:

There are a bunch of 35mm micro caches in the area, but as far as I can tell, there is no special icon for micro vs. normal cache. It sure would be helpful when web searching before caching if it were obvious which cahces were micros. (Nothing more frustrating than trying to stuff a big travel bug into a 35mm can. =)

By definition a regular cache can include anything between a 35mm film canister and a 5 gallon bucket. That's a pretty wide range. From my experience, any cache that is larger than a 1 qt tupperware container should be considered large. Outside ammo boxes, it's rare to find a cache any larger than 1 qt (and I doubt there are many 5 gallon+ caches at all).

The only problem is that with some 50,000 caches out there, implementing a new size now will only cause confusion. I doubt enough cache owners will take the trouble to adjust the size rating of their caches.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
Originally posted by targetdrone:

I would like to have a new size option when placing a cache, small. It doesn't seem right for a small butter dish or a decon container to be normal or micro. What do you say, Jeremy?

"It's free advice and worth every cent."

I strongly agree. I don't plant 33mm 'micro' caches. I tend to plant small caches not big enough for me to label them at normal size and big enough to house a few goodies. "small" would be a wonderful addition. I've thought this many times myself.

-Let's play Global Thermonuclear War-

My signature Cache In, Trash Out Tote is a tube with a screw off top with a o-ring and measures 4.75 in long and 1.75in. wide with a trash bag inside. If it will not fit in the cache that the owner called traditional it’s a micro to me but I would like to see one called small, it would sure help to know what size cache you are looking for……..JOE

I'll toss in my vote for an option for small too. Something the 16oz containers I have used are too small to be normal caches, but they are still large enough to hold a handful of 35mm microx.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.