Challenges (Mystery)

jellis

I keep hearing different responses. When doing Challenges (mystery) which date do you use, the date you found the cache or the date you completed the the challenge?

(You know I am not talking about the virtual challenges)

I not sure which is appropriate. You found the cache but you can't log it til you completed the goal. Some don't log it when it was completed because it was not the day you found the cache. But others log it on the date completed.

So what do you say?

My reason because I have a lot of challenges I am trying to complete and don't remember all the dates I actually found them.

Yesterday I did another search for challenges and found one I had already signed and didn't realize it.

And yes I also complete before I find the cache. But if they are in an area I am not going to be in again for a long time (such as Utah) then yes I sign them

Edited by jellis

I keep hearing different responses. When doing Challenges (mystery) which date do you use, the date you found the cache or the date you completed the the challenge?

I not sure which is appropriate. You found the cache but you can't log it til you completed the goal. Some don't log it when it was completed because it was not the day you found the cache. But others log it on the date completed.

So what do you say?

My reason because I have a lot of challenges I am trying to complete and don't remember all the dates I actually found them.

Yesterday I did another search for challenges and found one I had already signed and didn't realize it.

Are you talking about something like a ABC challenge or county challenge?

So what do you say?

I've out thought to this as well. I would say that it would be the day you sign the logbook for the actual cache that is loggable once the challenge has been met. That's what constitutes a find on all other caches--the signing of the physical log.

So what do you say?

yes I am

IMHO the find is not valid until you complete the challenge

ie: all 366 days of the year, days in a month, etc.

In your case of having already 'found' the cache if would be acceptable to log the find on the day you completed the challenge.

An alternative would be post a note on the cache the date when you found it, then later edit (if possible) to show an actual find upon completion.

Otherwise you could the note as placemark for the found date.

I would say when you complete it or sign the log, whichever came last. In most case the challenge is not complete until both are done.

I agree with this.

If you pre-emptively signed the log, because you weren't going to be in the area again, then you would log the find as soon as you complete the challenge.

If you completed the challenge before visiting the cache, then the day you signed the log would be your find date.

if I had already completed the challenge....the date I sign the cache.

If I signed the challenge in advance as I was already in the area or on a trip (and the CO is not one of those types to throw a conniption about that, thus allows it), I will log it the day I complete the challenge.

February 29th, will have a Calendar Challenge in Oregon for example that I signed a while back. It required all 366 days.

Like most others here, I log a smiley for whichever comes last: the date I signed the physical log or the date I completed the challenge's other requirements.

I don't worry about milestones, but if I pre-signed a challenge log and later used that date for my smiley, then doing so could mess up my milestones.

I see the possibilities now.

So, some folks may go grab an "Unknown" Challenge cache and log it when they are nearby. This is only possible when the cache coordinates are as listed on the site. Some then go off to complete the challenge, and then log the official find.

However, I'm one who doesn't go find the actual cache until I have found the requirements for the "Challenge". Even if it means a trip out of my way, it just seems like the thing I should be doing.

However, I don't see any reason one couldn't put a name on the log, and then complete the challenge. But, the online log for that "Challenge" unknown cache wouldn't be logged until the challenge is complete. I just would personally not do it this way.

I had similar thoughts as the OP. I decided to avoid the whole issue by not pre-signing any challenge caches.

+1

So far I am ignoring all the challenge caches I haven't qualified for.

Once I get close to qualifying, I may make a special effort to do so.

When I do qualify, I then go after the cache. This may or may not induce me to make a special trip to sign the log...I think I have four or five challenge caches waiting for my signature right now.

what if you are on a trail that has 25 to 30 challenges, like there is in Utah and Central Oregon. You are there on a trip and will never be back there. You qualify for 22 of the 25. You would not sign the other 3? I had this happen to me recently twice, those 3 challenges am working on after all. I signed them, would seem a waste not to.

Won't log of course until I qualify. One will take a long time, I need 15 more counties.

Edited by lamoracke

what if you are on a trail that has 25 to 30 challenges, like there is in Utah and Central Oregon. You are there on a trip and will never be back there. You qualify for 22 of the 25. You would not sign the other 3? I had this happen to me recently twice, those 3 challenges am working on after all. I signed them, would seem a waste not to.

Won't log of course until I qualify. One will take a long time, I need 15 more counties.

22 out of 25 is a pretty good ratio for me, and I would take that without complaint! :)

Although this scenario hasn't happened to me, I don't think I would sign the logs for the caches I didn't qualify for, just the same as I wouldn't claim a find on a cache I needed rappelling gear (that I didn't have) to get to.

22 out of 25 is a pretty good ratio for me, and I would take that without complaint! :)

Although this scenario hasn't happened to me, I don't think I would sign the logs for the caches I didn't qualify for, just the same as I wouldn't claim a find on a cache I needed rappelling gear (that I didn't have) to get to.

I don't think signing a physical log for a challenge cache is "claiming a find" for that cache. That comes when you log an online "Found It."

I don't think signing a physical log for a challenge cache is "claiming a find" for that cache. That comes when you log an online "Found It."

I agree. You wouldn't be logging a find until the challenge is completed so it really doesn't matter if you sign the log before or after the challenge is completed. My question is whether you should log the find on the date you signed it or when you completed it?

Usually we don't go for challenge caches that we don't qualify for. In the rare cases that we do, I log a note on the date that I found the cache. Once I qualify for the challenge, I edit that note to a "found it" (leaving the date alone) and also post another note saying that I did so.

I don't get the idea of signing a logbook for a challenge-type cache before finishing up the challenge. That's just weird.

Another issue I have with that is that if you sign the logbook on July 1st, then finish up the Challenge on September 1st, and log the cache with a 'Found It' as of 9/1, you are indicating that the cache is physically where it should be on September 1st. However, if it somehow went missing at some point between 7/1 and 9/1, you are sending out bad info to the caching community and the cache owner. A needed maintenance trip may be cancelled since 'the cache is obviously still there.'

Sure, the CO and others should be able to tell that you weren't really there on 9/1 (You did make that extra clear in your log right? Not just writing something like "Updated my bookmark with all 100 finds. TFTC"), but you've just increased the likelihood that someone is going to have a wasted search, all because you didn't complete the challenge before signing.

I don't get the idea of signing a logbook for a challenge-type cache before finishing up the challenge. That's just weird.

Another issue I have with that is that if you sign the logbook on July 1st, then finish up the Challenge on September 1st, and log the cache with a 'Found It' as of 9/1, you are indicating that the cache is physically where it should be on September 1st. However, if it somehow went missing at some point between 7/1 and 9/1, you are sending out bad info to the caching community and the cache owner. A needed maintenance trip may be cancelled since 'the cache is obviously still there.'

Sure, the CO and others should be able to tell that you weren't really there on 9/1 (You did make that extra clear in your log right? Not just writing something like "Updated my bookmark with all 100 finds. TFTC"), but you've just increased the likelihood that someone is going to have a wasted search, all because you didn't complete the challenge before signing.

folks can actually imply that they are logging the cache now that they qualify and not imply they visited the cache that day.

And in my experience, folks who write logs on mystery challenge caches almost never will write TFTC. Some of the best logs I ever read are on mystery challenges. Course, will admit, when you do a mini trail of them in a row, its hard to say something original 20+ times in a row.

Most of the Challenges I have seen the COs included on the cache page you can sign the logsheet before completing the Challenge. As Lam said some of us visit areas that are too far away to go back after you completed the challenge, if you were in the area and just go ahead and sign the logs while you were there.

Most of the Challenges I have seen the COs included on the cache page you can sign the logsheet before completing the Challenge. As Lam said some of us visit areas that are too far away to go back after you completed the challenge, if you were in the area and just go ahead and sign the logs while you were there.

+1

I own the SoCal Delorme challenge and frequently give teh coordiantes to cachers who are near completion. No sense in driving back 200 miles or more. It's a waste of natural resources.

I should also add that I tend to forget the caches I pre-logged (online note) and almost always forgot to go back and change the note to the find after completing the challenge.

Not really if I said in the log found on an earlier date.

Edited by jellis

I'm going to come out on the cranky side of this one; but, I don't think one should find the physical cache of a challenge until all of the requirements are completed. Something about it seems a little tacky. The purpose of a challenge cache is to celebrate and display pride in your accomplishment.

If been in the general vicinity of a challenge cache and didn't found it because I didn't meet the requirements. Opting not to find the cache was my choice, as I know nothing would stop me from actually finding the cache, but somehow it would feel like I was "cheating" or "cooking the books" in an attempt to pad my numbers.

As a part owner in several challenge type caches, I personally wouldn't be surprise or upset if someone pre-logged a challenge, but I can tell you, the few times it has happened, the community response was not good. It was not a public display, but the whispering and nose curling was not pretty. This might have been something that was unique to my local group of cachers, but I've heard about this behavior elsewhere, so if this is a concern to you, keep this in mind.

Anyway, sorry for the personal commentary, but to answer your question directly. As someone else pointed out, the problem with a post-logging a find is that it implies that the cache is still physically there and in good shape. If I was to pre-log a challenge cache, this is how I would handle it.

Log a note on the day I find the cache stating that I found the cache in good shape (or whatever condition it is in) and then clarify that I will be completing the challenge in the near future. (2 to 6 weeks)

Once I fulfill the logging requirement, I would create a new log on the current date stating that I completed the challenge portion of the cache, but noting that I found the physical container on a previous date.

what if you are on a trail that has 25 to 30 challenges, like there is in Utah and Central Oregon. You are there on a trip and will never be back there. You qualify for 22 of the 25. You would not sign the other 3?

I think I can honestly say I wouldn't. In fact, if I hadn't met the criteria for the challenge it wouldn't even be in my GPSr. I handle unqualified challenges like unsolved puzzles.

I figure it's no big deal -- all it means is three caches I don't get a smiley on. There are hundreds of thousands of those out there, what's three more? :laughing:

I don't find that weird at all. You know where the cache is, you can find it and sign the log, so why shouldn't you?

Not really if I said in the log found on an earlier date.

Yeah, you still are to some extent. Some of the software out there may indicate what the last four or so logs were (DNF, Found It, Post Note, etc), and your 9/1 FoundIt log shows as a found log. I'll grant you that cache owners and cache seekers have a responsibility to check actual logs for cache history, but you are implying something here. Also "I found this on July 1st" on a September 1st log doesn't mean that you didn't come back, although it may imply it.

I don't find that weird at all. You know where the cache is, you can find it and sign the log, so why shouldn't you?

The same reason I don't take all the pennies from the penny jar at the checkout, although I know where it is, and I can.

I know there are COs who allow this, and that's their business. I just think its weird. Perhaps its a regional thing. Offhand, I can think of only two Challenge caches near me where the CO has specifically stated that you can sign the log prior to completing the challenge. I have a Challenge cache which was published January 3rd which has gone unsigned (unless someone did something this weekend), although many, many cachers in my area will be able to eventually qualify for it. I expect that it won't be signed until people have completed the qualifications.

The same reason I don't take all the pennies from the penny jar at the checkout, although I know where it is, and I can.

Are you implying that finding a challenge cache that you don't qualify for and signing the log does harm or damage to anybody? :unsure:

Are you implying that finding a challenge cache that you don't qualify for and signing the log does harm or damage to anybody? :unsure:

No.

How on earth do you get that idea from the comment about the penny jar?

Personally I think the penny jar example is spot on specifically because the results from either situation does not harm or damage anyone, yet both seem weird to do. And at least for the pennies it is generally considered impolite.

The only possible reason I could see someone opting not to log the find online dated the day the challenge was completed, having signed the physical log long ago, is the matter of appearance that the cache is available and in good condition - even if the find log says it wasn't physically found on the latter date but long ago. Some people may indeed go by Found logs when scanning for available caches to find. -- However, if it's a challenge cache, presumably one wouldn't simply be doing a light scan for caches to find with Found logs 'in the area' :P For one, it's listed as a mystery, which prompts reading the description, and on finding it to be a challenge, one would likely check out recent logs.

If we speak officially, challenge caches are one of the only caches types where ALR's are still allowed. No one will/should say that signing a physical log is disallowed if an ALR isn't met - it's only the logging online that's determined by completion of the ALR. So by extension, with a challenge cache, geocachers are "allowed" to sign the physical logbook at any time, but the owner is "allowed" to remove a Find log online if the ALR isn't met.

So in the end the question really is what is the date that you post your Find log online for completing a challenge cache?

I personally also opt with logging the Find online only having completed the challenge (if I found the physical log earlier). But I view the challenge itself as both finding the physical cache and completing the ALR. In which case, I log the Find online on whichever date falls last. I'll also state (or at least imply) that the physical cache was found previously, having already posted a note on that date, and that the Find log is for finally completing the challenge portion.

I only go after challenges once I have completed them. Of course SC is smaller than say California and I could see how in other places this would be okay. First I would get CO permission to physically find and sign the cache before completing the challenge. Then I would log a Found It on the day I completed it. If you complete before finding then the Found It log should be the date you found it.

Reading the thread shows many different approaches. There are no guidelines that address this so whatever you feel is best.

How on earth do you get that idea from the comment about the penny jar?

Personally I think the penny jar example is spot on specifically because the results from either situation does not harm or damage anyone, yet both seem weird to do. And at least for the pennies it is generally considered impolite.

Huh? Taking something that's not yours doesn't do any harm? I'd say that's a bit more than just weird or impolite. I'd also say that finding a challenge cache that you don't qualify for isn't impolite in the least.

Reading the thread shows many different approaches. There are no guidelines that address this so whatever you feel is best.

Well, as per my comment, the only guideline is the ALR guidelines. Which means you can't log online until you've completed the ALR, which in this case is the challenge. But there are no guidelines as to the required date of your online Find log; only that you've found the physical cache and completed the challenge before you log it online (with whatever date) - else the CO can remove the online Found log. Beyond that, it's up to you :)

Huh? Taking something that's not yours doesn't do any harm? I'd say that's a bit more than just weird or impolite. I'd also say that finding a challenge cache that you don't qualify for isn't impolite in the least.

Do you not know what a 'penny jar' is?

In case you don't here is an example;

I purchase some items at the store. The total comes to $9.97. Since I don't like having a bunch of pennies in my pocket I drop the 3 cents into the penny jar. You are the next person in line. You total is $10.02. You take two of the pennies out of the jar to cover the 2 cents so you don't end up with 98 cents in change.

The pennies in the jar do not belong to anyone, they are there for everyone who might need a penny or two to not have to deal with loose change. There is no 'taking something that is not yours' involved. The pennies are there specifically for the next person who might need them to take and use them. But it is considered both 'weird' and 'impolite' to most people to use more then a few cents from the jar at any single transaction. But some people do. Some people will take all the pennies from the jar and put them in their pocket. Some people will count out every coin from the jar and then add their own to make out the difference in cost for what they are trying to buy. But since the pennies are there for people to take and use taking the pennies does not break any laws.

I look at a challenge cache as a reward for completing a challenge. If I don't complete the challenge then I have no business seeking or logging the cache. The logbook in the cache should only have the names of those who have completed the challenge, not those who might get around to completing the challenge someday. People can make excuses for why they should go ahead and find the cache and sign the logbook for a challenge cache they did not complete the same way a person can make excuses for why they should go ahead and take pennies from the penny jar when they don't need the pennies.

Do you not know what a 'penny jar' is?

In case you don't here is an example;

I purchase some items at the store. The total comes to $9.97. Since I don't like having a bunch of pennies in my pocket I drop the 3 cents into the penny jar. You are the next person in line. You total is $10.02. You take two of the pennies out of the jar to cover the 2 cents so you don't end up with 98 cents in change.

The pennies in the jar do not belong to anyone, they are there for everyone who might need a penny or two to not have to deal with loose change. There is no 'taking something that is not yours' involved. The pennies are there specifically for the next person who might need them to take and use them. But it is considered both 'weird' and 'impolite' to most people to use more then a few cents from the jar at any single transaction. But some people do. Some people will take all the pennies from the jar and put them in their pocket. Some people will count out every coin from the jar and then add their own to make out the difference in cost for what they are trying to buy. But since the pennies are there for people to take and use taking the pennies does not break any laws.

You're right, I did in fact not know what a penny jar is. I was thinking of a tip jar. However, the point remains: assuming that those pennies do in fact not belong to anybody (which I don't think is correct, but whatever), if you use up all the pennies from the jar, then the next person doesn't have any more available, thus the action of taking them all still does harm. It's not just a matter of being impolite.

I look at a challenge cache as a reward for completing a challenge. If I don't complete the challenge then I have no business seeking or logging the cache. The logbook in the cache should only have the names of those who have completed the challenge, not those who might get around to completing the challenge someday. People can make excuses for why they should go ahead and find the cache and sign the logbook for a challenge cache they did not complete the same way a person can make excuses for why they should go ahead and take pennies from the penny jar when they don't need the pennies.

The "reward" for completing the challenge is the smiley. You can't log the cache with a smiley. But the cache is still there nonetheless. You may even have no intentions of completing the challenge, at all, ever, and you can still go and find the cache. If the Groundspeak rules wanted to keep challenge caches exclusive to those who completed the challenge, they'd have a system in place to keep the coordinates secret. I believe some of the original Delorme challenge caches worked this way. Kinda like PMO caches, you can't physically find them until you're part of the - ahem - elite. :ph34r: (Save the known methods of battleshipping the coordinates of course...) But they've abandoned that and instead chose to make the physical caches publicly available and only leave the smiley up to the ALR. It's the same as with all other previous ALR caches, it's an essential part of the core concept: you can go if you want to, but unless you comply, you can't get a smiley.

The logbook in the cache should only have the names of those who have completed the challenge, not those who might get around to completing the challenge someday.

And see, many see geocaching as finding geocaches. ALRs are for online logs. If I sign a physical logbook, I see that as evidence that I've found the physical logbook. If I log the find online, I see that as evidence that I've done all that's required to log the find online. Given the official guidelines of ALRs, I'll go by that :)

But to each his own! Your conviction about how you sign challenge caches is just as legitimate, because there's no "right" or "wrong" way at that point... everyone may play the game in different ways - as long as no one breaks the rules :)

I'd also say that finding a challenge cache that you don't qualify for isn't impolite in the least.

If by "finding a challenge cache" you mean just finding the physical cache and signing the log, then I would agree, I don't think that's impolite. I'd probably include something in the log about not being qualified for it yet, and I'd probably post a note to the cache page indicating I'd signed the log but wasn't going to log the cache as found until I qualified for the cache.

If you include posting a "found it" log knowing that you haven't complied with the challenge, then I disagree, that would be impolite to the cache owner because it's basically sticking your tongue out and daring the cache owner to delete your found it log. edit: from your last post, I don't think that's what you meant.

Edited by hzoi

I'd also say that finding a challenge cache that you don't qualify for isn't impolite in the least.

If by "finding a challenge cache" you mean just finding the physical cache and signing the log, then I would agree, I don't think that's impolite. I'd probably include something in the log about not being qualified for it yet, and I'd probably post a note to the cache page indicating I'd signed the log but wasn't going to log the cache as found until I qualified for the cache.

If you include posting a "found it" log knowing that you haven't complied with the challenge, then I disagree, that would be impolite to the cache owner because it's basically sticking your tongue out and daring the cache owner to delete your found it log.

Agreed to both points. I did mean finding the actual cache, not posting a found log.

Now, there could be a debate about what constitutes a FTF on a challenge cache. I've seen people be the first to find the physical cache who haven't qualified for the challenge. But what if you qualify for the challenge, go to find the cache, and find someone else signed the physical log (whether logged online or not). Who's the FTF?

I suppose it would be up to the CO to decide who would get what label (if it's a point of contention of course) - FTF on the cache as a whole, vs FTF on the physical hide? *shrug*

The cachers could still do whatever they want anyway since "FTF" itself is an entirely arbitrary stat.