How to properly hang a matchbox container

bbsmalls

I'm assuming you mean those waterproof matchstick containers, cylindrical? If so, wrap wire around the base, near where it meets the cap, leaving enough to twist into the shape of the hook of a coat hanger. Camo over the wire with camo duct tape, and there ya go! There will be better answers along soon....

Good luck with it!

Yea, that's the ones. I bought a couple. My concern of putting it on the base is it falling off. Thanks for the reply, I'll look into it some.

Wrap the wire then use some duct tape (camo-colour or maybe black depending where you're going to put it) and wrap over the wire to hold it firmly in place.

OR.... you could get green florist wire and not worry about camo tape on the wire.

I put a wire hanger on the container and then wrap the container with camo tape.

Take, say a two foot long piece of wire and put the ends together. Now take those ends and bring them together. Now at the one end you should have a loop. Put the container in that loop and put the ends in a drill. Hold the container and carefully turn the drill on, letting it twist all the wires together. Now you have a good hanger that is securely attached to the container. Put camo tape on the container and it's ready for a log sheet.

Edited by ngrrfan

I've found that you don't even need the wire inside. The duct tape is strong enough on its own. Cut a strip in half lenghtwise and then double one piece over to make a long, rope like piece. Hold it in place on each side of the cap and wrap the other piece around the edge of the cap. You've got a nice loop to push over a branch. You can also tape your loop to the side like an arrow quiver.

I've found that you don't even need the wire inside. The duct tape is strong enough on its own. Cut a strip in half lenghtwise and then double one piece over to make a long, rope like piece. Hold it in place on each side of the cap and wrap the other piece around the edge of the cap. You've got a nice loop to push over a branch. You can also tape your loop to the side like an arrow quiver.

The duct tape is strong enough at first, but have you seen how it deteriorates over time when left out in the elements?

I took wire coat hangers, cut them into 3 pieces, and bent one piece across the bottom and up opposite sides of each container, leaving one end long enough to bend over into a hook. Then wrapped camo duct tape around the container, leaving the hook free. (I painted the caps brown or green.)

The duct tape is strong enough at first, but have you seen how it deteriorates over time when left out in the elements?

I took wire coat hangers, cut them into 3 pieces, and bent one piece across the bottom and up opposite sides of each container, leaving one end long enough to bend over into a hook. Then wrapped camo duct tape around the container, leaving the hook free. (I painted the caps brown or green.)

Yep, You're right. After a couple of years the duct tape loop begins to break down. I like the coat hanger idea, and I'm working on a couple of new things.

Am I the only one who uses black zip ties instead of wire?

For my new series, I used velcro wrapped onto branches. A magnet is epoxied into the velcro, and another onto the cache tube. These are very small tubes, but I'll soon be trading up to stronger magnets, and tubes that are almost big as match tubes.

I used heavy floral wire on my first cache (a film canister) to hook over a tree branch. The wire broke after a few months. Not sure how that happened. But it's wrapped around the container and glued in place, and I added a new section when the old wire broke.

Am I the only one who uses black zip ties instead of wire?

For my new series, I used velcro wrapped onto branches. A magnet is epoxied into the velcro, and another onto the cache tube. These are very small tubes, but I'll soon be trading up to stronger magnets, and tubes that are almost big as match tubes.

I used heavy floral wire on my first cache (a film canister) to hook over a tree branch. The wire broke after a few months. Not sure how that happened. But it's wrapped around the container and glued in place, and I added a new section when the old wire broke.

My personal favorite is 14 gauge electrical wire. You can buy a 100' roll at the hardware store in various colors; I prefer black or brown. The copper wire is quite strong and maintains it's flexibility for decades without breaking. Easy to form into hooks, loops and other shapes. Zip ties, like most plastic products, tend to break down in the sunlight and get pretty brittle in the winter cold. I usually keep a 8 foot loop of this wire in my cacheing pack. It also comes in handy for forming hooks and other retrieval tools on the fly in the field for fishing out some hard to reach caches.

OR.... you could get green florist wire and not worry about camo tape on the wire.

I put a wire hanger on the container and then wrap the container with camo tape.

Take, say a two foot long piece of wire and put the ends together. Now take those ends and bring them together. Now at the one end you should have a loop. Put the container in that loop and put the ends in a drill. Hold the container and carefully turn the drill on, letting it twist all the wires together. Now you have a good hanger that is securely attached to the container. Put camo tape on the container and it's ready for a log sheet.

IMHO the florist wire is too thin and will break after being bent a few times. You can also get florist tape, which is a green crepe tape, to wrap the coathanger in. Realistic green shade.