Best Waterproof GPS

drdcpa20

Guys,

Not trying to start a war about who is better, but I'm needing a waterproof GPS for those times when I'm kayaking. In addition, I want to use it in deep cover woods as well.

I was looking at the Etrex 30, Garmin GPSMAP 62S, and the explorist 610. Does anyone recommend any of these? Are there any others I should be looking at instead?

Thanks!

Some units will float (I think the Garmin 76 and 78 series float). Others won't float but have greater or lesser degrees of water resistance.

I've used a 60CSx in torrential rain, frequently pausing to wipe the water off it. When it got muddy I washed it under the tap.

So far my Montana hasn't seen any particularly nasty weather although I have dripped sweat on it numerous times when I've been cycling.

There was a thread a while back (I think in the UK forums) about a cacher who recovered his GPS from Poole Harbour. I forget the details but the gist of it was that he dropped his GPS overboard and managed to recover it from the harbour a few days later, to find it still worked. I think that was an Oregon but can't be 100% sure.

My 62s has a water resistance of IEC 529-IPX-7. A little web surfing will tell you that IPX7 means "Protected against water immersion. Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter." If it floats like a 76 or 78, that should be OK kayaking, but I'm not so sure if I had to get my 62s off the bottom of a 6' deep stream.

I recall reading a thread where someone complained that his Oregon 550 was not waterproof. He damaged it using it as an underwater camera. So don't do that :)

I don't think anyone has done a test to see which one is more waterproof. If the unit you are interested in does not float, and that's a feature you need, tie something that floats to the lanyard.

I recall reading a thread where someone complained that his Oregon 550 was not waterproof. He damaged it using it as an underwater camera. So don't do that :)

I don't think anyone has done a test to see which one is more waterproof. If the unit you are interested in does not float, and that's a feature you need, tie something that floats to the lanyard.

I recall that also. That person went way beyond the IPX7 rating. I think it was a couple meters under water for several hours.