[FEATURE] Automatically open forum member profiles in new window

Ambient_Skater

Better yet, my browser opens Command-Click links in a new tab behind the current tab (which is what I usually want), and Shift-Command-Click links in a new tab in front of the current tab.

Sites that try to "help" me by automatically opening links in new tabs/windows often break this behavior, which I find rather annoying, and not at all helpful.

i guess you never heard of "middle" click

I've tried clicking both mouse buttons simultaneously, but that only works half the time and the other half it either doesn't do anything at all or loads the page in the same window.

that is not what middle click is....middle click is clicking the scroll button

Try holding shift button when you click the mouse button - it would open a new window.

Try holding ctrl button when you click the mouse button - it would open a new tab.

why bother with "ctrl"? see above

I completely agree with niraD. I don't like web sites that force me to open a page in a new tab (or window).

why, you really like navigating away from the original page and keep going back?

i find that extremely annoying and poor webdesign

if i had a website i wouldn't want my visitors going away from my page, its fine that they get to explore other stuff but i wouldn't want them drifting away, which is very easy when you follow link after link

Edited by t4e

Try holding shift button when you click the mouse button - it would open a new window.

Try holding ctrl button when you click the mouse button - it would open a new tab.

As the OP referred "clicking both mouse buttons simultaneously", maybe his mouse has no scroll button.

I completely agree with niraD. I don't like web sites that force me to open a page in a new tab (or window).

why, you really like navigating away from the original page and keep going back?

i find that extremely annoying and poor webdesign

if i had a website i wouldn't want my visitors going away from my page, its fine that they get to explore other stuff but i wouldn't want them drifting away, which is very easy when you follow link after link

What I'm saying is that it should be left up to the visitors (not the site owner) whether to open a new page in a same/separate window/tab. I sometimes want it opened as a new tab *in the background* (Ctrl + Click), while within the same tab (Click) other times.

I've tried clicking both mouse buttons simultaneously, but that only works half the time and the other half it either doesn't do anything at all or loads the page in the same window.

Now where do I find one of those?

dell_latitude_e6400_touchpad_07.jpg

Digging around in one of my boxes of wires I found something resembling this, but it has a connector I've never seen before (not a serial connector)

Sun_three_button_mouse.jpg

Not all mice have a scroll wheel. Ctrl-click and Shift-click work regardless.

/snip useless image

Digging around in one of my boxes of wires I found something resembling this, but it has a connector I've never seen before (not a serial connector)

/snip useless image

seriously, what century you live in? :blink:

wmo440.jpg

or you're a MAC person still waiting for the two button mouse to be invented? :lol:

$5 for the above will get you one :lol:

Edited by t4e

/snip useless image

/snip useless image

wmo440.jpg

or you're a MAC person still waiting for the two button mouse to be invented? :lol:

Some people are perfectly happy with the touchpad that comes with their laptop.

/snip useless image

I didn't suggest this because I don't know what a mouse it, or because I'm too cheap to buy one. In fact, this is the mouse I have for my desktop. Not only are there enough programmable buttons for me to open links in a new tab, but also to to open the link in a new window, a different browser, a different browser with add ons disabled, bookmark it without adding it to the Bookmarks Bar, bookmark it and add it to the Bookmarks Bar, create a shortcut to the link on the desktop, create a shortcut to the link on the quick launch bar, save the link for offline viewing, or share it on Facebook.

That wheel near the side allows scrolling sideways, but someone's been spreading a rumor that it's a bad idea to require the viewer to scroll horizontally and web designers are actually believing them :yikes:, so I don't get to use it much outside of games :sad:

My laptop however lacks a scroll wheel among other buttons, which is why I posted the first image.

The reason I suggested this was as a way of fixing this bug without causing people to get the "Resubmit entered data?" dialog that usually comes up when you click back after logging in.

First, as has been stated there's more than one way to skin a cat (about 1/2 dozen ways to achieve the open in new tabs and many of them automated to a single click.) Second, isn't that a middle button on the laptop you're displaying? It's becoming more and more common for laptops to have middle buttons. I know mine does. The simplest solution of the one extra step isn't a big deal. I'd much rather have this than being forced to a new tab all the time. It's simple to just assume it will not open a new tab/window if you know you want to come back to the same window. I'd rather not be forced into opening a new tab when I know I'll not be coming back to it because that means one more tab I'll have to close as I'll quickly grow to over the 15ish tabs that get displayed at a time and then I'm side scrolling my tabs.

We all know that it's often necessary to examine a forum member's profile to tailor a response that's directly relevant to them. This would be a lot easier if the links to their profiles next to their posts automatically opened in a new window instead of us having to right click and then select the appropriate option.

I like this feature suggestion!