Best of Geocaching

BasenjiLuv

I was wondering the following questions:

1) What's the best time of day to go Geocaching?

2) What's the best weather to go Geocaching?

3) What's the best trade item to bring while Geocaching?

4) Is it best to bring a pen or a pencil? (I've heard that some people have "stickers" for Geocaching. Where do I get one of those?)

5) Should I bring my 11 month old puppy with me? (Maybe he can sniff out the cache... LOL)

Please and thank you!

Edited by briansnat
oops, hit edit rather than reply to.

4) Is it best to bring a pen or a pencil? (I've heard that some people have "stickers" for Geocaching. Where do I get one of those?)

5) Should I bring my 11 month old puppy with me? (Maybe he can sniff out the cache... LOL)

Please and thank you!

1. Any time. I'd say at least 1/4 of our finds have been in the dark.

2. Any weather. If it's raining, be careful with the log. Otherwise, if you can tolerate it, it's good weather to cache in.

3. When our cache kit is getting low on swag, we go to a dollar store, and drop about $30 or so on $1.00 items to restock it. Mrs. DazD has also made a lot of handmade clay coins we use as our signature item, when a cache is big enough to hold them.

4. We carry ultra fine point Sharpie markers to mark the logs with. Some people have stickers, which I think are roughly akin to address labels. (You can prolly find them with Google.) You want them fairly small, though for widest applicability. We've seen a fair number of people that use self inking stamps as well, and they will custom make you one at Staples for around $20. Again, smallest size is best.

5. Assuming you're in an area where he'll be safe, and you can keep an eye on him fairly well, yes. We've taken our American Bulldog out caching often. She has, in fact, found a couple for us.

Hope this helps!

Later!

Please and thank you!

2. Any weather. If it's raining, be careful with the log. Otherwise, if you can tolerate it, it's good weather to cache in.

3. When our cache kit is getting low on swag, we go to a dollar store, and drop about $30 or so on $1.00 items to restock it. Mrs. DazD has also made a lot of handmade clay coins we use as our signature item, when a cache is big enough to hold them.

4. We carry ultra fine point Sharpie markers to mark the logs with. Some people have stickers, which I think are roughly akin to address labels. (You can prolly find them with Google.) You want them fairly small, though for widest applicability. We've seen a fair number of people that use self inking stamps as well, and they will custom make you one at Staples for around $20. Again, smallest size is best.

5. Assuming you're in an area where he'll be safe, and you can keep an eye on him fairly well, yes. We've taken our American Bulldog out caching often. She has, in fact, found a couple for us.

Hope this helps!

Later!

Thanks for the help! I have another question: Are there any books about Geocaching you'd reccomend?

Please and thank you!

Hope this helps!

Later!

Thanks for the help! I have another question: Are there any books about Geocaching you'd reccomend?

This is a good book.

Please and thank you!

Go anytime you want. When you feel you'd like to build your numbers up a bit you'll want to go more often. You may fall victim to the FTF bug and leave your home early Sunday morning to go after a cache. Swag? I don't bother with it. You don't have to take anything, hence you don't have to leave anything. Always, always, always have a pen or pencil. Of course you should bring your puppy! You love your puppy, bring him with you! S/he'll be a great geopup!

How do you define "best"? To avoid muggles, early morning is often a good time. Sunrise and sunset can be beautiful times to walk through the baylands, through the redwood forests, etc.

Again, how do you define "best"? To avoid muggles, cloudy weather where it's threatening to rain (but not quite raining) is great. In foggy weather, the baylands and redwood forests are beautiful. Of course, they're beautiful in a different way when it's clear. The only kind of weather I dislike is summer heat.

The only things I trade for are personal signature items left by other geocachers. I leave my own trackable signature tokens, and when trading for others' signature items, I leave foreign coins, small ceramic figurines, and other small trinkets.

There are some log materials that are easier to write on with normal ballpoint pens than with pencils, and vice versa. I've heard of folks carrying both. However, I always carry a Fisher Space Pen and an Ultra-Fine Sharpie Marker. I've always been able to sign the log with one of them.

Small signature stickers can be convenient, especially if you have difficulty writing or if your handwriting is illegible. However, the adhesive on stickers often fails, and stickers don't work well on small micro-cache log sheets. Self-inking stamps generally work better, especially if the image is small enough to fit on small log sheets. There are lots of places that sell them. Try Google, or look through the ads in your junk mail. (Postal junk mail, not electronic junk mail.)

As long as dogs are allowed in the areas where you're geocaching, go for it!

1) What's the best time of day to go Geocaching? Any time you have the time

2) What's the best weather to go Geocaching? In your favorite kind of weather.

3) What's the best trade item to bring while Geocaching?I often leave individual packets of Off! insect repellent wipes and numerous people have thanked me for doing so, but anything that is cheap and potentially useful is a good trade item

4) Is it best to bring a pen or a pencil? (I've heard that some people have "stickers" for Geocaching. Where do I get one of those?) I like a gel pen because it works on wet logbooks

5) Should I bring my 11 month old puppy with me? I'm not a dog owner, but many people enjoy geocaching with their dog. Just be aware that some places that have geocaches don't allow pets.

1- any time is a good time

2- I hate rain

3 any thing of equal or better valu IE: dont leave a business card old hotel room key card or a rock for new toys or a flash light

4- I keep both pen and pencil with me pens most always work . People use stickers or stamps and you can get them on line just do a simple Google search

5- Heck yeah a lot of cachers have Geodogs I put dog balls in all my caches as swag.

6-Have fun! :grin:

1) I like to start first thing in the morning - as early after dawn as I am willing to get out of bed. This avoids the heat of the day as much as possible while allowing me maximum hours of daylight to find caches (I like to make a long day of caching).

2) Cool, breezy, and partly cloudly. Keeps me from getting hot without needing a jacket.

3) Probably something inexpensive, lightweight, but appealing to children. Kids are the ones most often interested in swag.

4) Pen - unless you want to carry around a pencil sharper and something to cover the writing end of the pencil so you don't poke yourself accidently.

Some cachers make stickers with their geo-name on them. I've also seen some cachers use an ink stamp with their name.

5) Don't own a dog and never cached with one, but I know people who have. Really depends on where you are going and local laws about pets (they are no allowed in some parks).

Please and thank you!

1) YES!

2) YES!

3) YES!

4) YES!

5) YES!

Please and thank you!

1) YES!

2) YES!

3) YES!

4) YES!

5) YES!

Your answers for 1-3 don't make make sense, but 4-5 do...

I have enjoyed Geocaching in 112 heat in the deserts of Arizona. I have cached in -22F with strong winds and snow in South Dakota. I have cached in the rain. I have cached near planes and trains. Once I even cached while I saw a goat in a boat. I have cached at 3am and noon and at sunset and sunrise. All fun.

I have traded with coins and ducktape and matchbox cars and even mini dutch wooden shoes. All fun.

I carry a Uniball Powertank RT pen (red) because it will write on just about anything and in any weather.

Dog people love to cache with thier dogs!

1. Best time of day to go caching? I recently learned that 3 pm is not a good time of day to head out on a hike. You'll get to see a gorgeous sunset over the ocean, but then you'll realize your flashlight is still in the car, it's pitch dark several miles before you get back to the car, and the GPS makes for a downright lousy flashlight.

2. Best weather? Sideways rain is not good.

3. Best trade item? Foreign coins.

4. Pen/pencil? Pen. Lipstick also works in a pinch.

5. Dog? I sometimes bring a couple of dogs with me geocaching (not mine). They aren't off-leash trained. As long as we're on a trail, they're great. When we head off trail to find the cache, though, they make a hopeless tangle with their leashes around every bush and small tree within reach. I usually tie them up at a tree near GZ and do my search, they whine loudly the whole time (I translate this to "hurry up, hurry, HURRY - places to go! stuff to sniff!") and then I spend several minutes untangling the giant leash knot. An off-leash dog would make a great geo-companion.

1. Best time of day to go caching? I recently learned that 3 pm is not a good time of day to head out on a hike. You'll get to see a gorgeous sunset over the ocean, but then you'll realize your flashlight is still in the car, it's pitch dark several miles before you get back to the car, and the GPS makes for a downright lousy flashlight.

2. Best weather? Sideways rain is not good.

3. Best trade item? Foreign coins.

4. Pen/pencil? Pen. Lipstick also works in a pinch.

5. Dog? I sometimes bring a couple of dogs with me geocaching (not mine). They aren't off-leash trained. As long as we're on a trail, they're great. When we head off trail to find the cache, though, they make a hopeless tangle with their leashes around every bush and small tree within reach. I usually tie them up at a tree near GZ and do my search, they whine loudly the whole time (I translate this to "hurry up, hurry, HURRY - places to go! stuff to sniff!") and then I spend several minutes untangling the giant leash knot. An off-leash dog would make a great geo-companion.

Thanks!

1) What's the best time of day to go Geocaching? Any time you have some spare time on your hands.

2) What's the best weather to go Geocaching? I prefer to go when it's not raining just because I don't like to get the inside of caches wet when I open them.

3) What's the best trade item to bring while Geocaching? I like to take ponchos, little flashlights, carabiners, etc...

4) Is it best to bring a pen or a pencil? (I've heard that some people have "stickers" for Geocaching. Where do I get one of those?) I prefer a gel pen. They write on just about anything, even damp paper. I don't like stickers because they take up more room in the log and can come off.

5) Should I bring my 11 month old puppy with me? (Maybe he can sniff out the cache... LOL) Yes! Just be sure that the area you are going to allows dogs first. Not all trails are dog friendly. A couple of years back we were out with a group finding caches and noticed that the dog that belonged to one of the group members kept going to the caches first and patiently waiting there until someone came over to find the cache he was sitting next to. Later in the day we discovered that they had been present when the caches were hidden so he knew where they all were. No wonder he kept sitting there looking at all the humans stumbling around in the bushes like they were nuts! :laughing:

Have fun!

Please and thank you!

1) YES!

2) YES!

3) YES!

4) YES!

5) YES!

Your answers for 1-3 don't make make sense, but 4-5 do...

I heard they sell some humor at Walmart now... :P

Whenever you can. But watch out for park hours if the cache is in a park.

Whatever makes you feel comfortable. Usually that's fairly dry, and not too hot or cold.

I like to carry stickers that my family picks up at trade shows. Kinder Surprise toys work well too. But not the chocolate though.

I use a pen since they're more comfortable to write with. If you want stickers, you can purchase some labels from an office supply store and print your own. If you need more than what you could practically print at home, contact your local print shop and ask them about their rates.

It depends on the breed and temperament of your dog. 11 months could be a bit late to begin training your puppy to detect smells, but I'm not sure so you may want to talk to a canine expert.

The dog issue: if offleash make sure he is under control.

When coming to other people call him to heel. Some people are terrified of dogs.

Always have a pen with you.

I found summer caching very nice; the fall leaves were difficult to detect caches through. I'm not much of one for the cold wind and snow. Not sure if I will continue for the winter or not!