paperless caching

Rambler74

I am looking to buy a new GPS, one that allows me to go paperless. Any suggestions on which one, if there is one, that is the best? My current Garmin 60CSx which only downloads the GC code, the coordinates and that is about it, well all that is helpful anyways. I am looking for something that will download gc codes, coorinates, size of cache, D/T and hint.

Thanks in advance for the help on this one.

Best ? I can NOT answer. I can tell you that I just upgraded to an eTrex 20 from the Venture HC (broke it). I does do paper-less caching and does it well. There is a know issue with the current firmware and loading a PQ OVER 2mb's in size. Though you can load several PQ's all under 2 MB and achieve the same thing. I would suggest that you go to your local sporting goods store and try a few in your hands and see how they feel in your hand.

A friend of mine has a Magellan Explorist gc and it does support that feature. Thought I can NOT get the software to load on MY pc but he has it installed on his.

I am looking to buy a new GPS, one that allows me to go paperless. Any suggestions on which one, if there is one, that is the best? My current Garmin 60CSx which only downloads the GC code, the coordinates and that is about it, well all that is helpful anyways. I am looking for something that will download gc codes, coorinates, size of cache, D/T and hint.

Best is a matter of preference and dollars, however Garmin seems to set the standard and right now their top of the line as far as geocaching goes is the 62s, however any of there caches since about the Colorado series, meaning the Colorado, Oregon and 62S series will give you everything you will need and then some.

Your 60 will do all that you are looking for ( plus/minus more if you want) by using GSAK ($30 to get rid of nag screen), this macro (free),a few macro`s, and Garmins POI loader (free). A little learning curve involved. There are a couple of videos online that show how to set GSAK up but of course I dont have those links for you.

"Best" is hard to get a general consensus on. Depends on your needs. Also depends on which method of interface you like best also. Are you a touch screen person or a button person. Is overall size a concern? Garmin makea a lt of different models for a reason. Maybe a Nuvi take supports Geocaching direct out of the box (Nuvi 500/550)or a handbheld that can act like a nuvi out of the box (Montana).

Lots of choice and a lot of different opinions.

Can't go wrong with a Garmin Oregon, really accurate, simple to use. We have used an Oregon for years and just "upgraded" to a Montana, big screen, plug in CN card and it works great in the car and great for finding the cache. The bigger screen is nice for getting more information, but the size of the Oregon is nice too, easier to be stealthy when in an Urban setting.

I can't tell you what the best is but I use a Magellan eXplorest GC and I love it. The price is right aroun $150 so you can't beat that. The one thing that I really dislike about it is that it will not give driving directions also. Good luck on your hunt and I hope you find a unit that you like.