oregon 450

shank's pony

Hello Friends--I am currently using a Garmin Oregon 450 and can't find a way to delete "found caches"

The memory space seems to be blocked because of nearly 600"found" caches and has stopped taking any more new caches on board. New caches will record and say they are registered but the machine is not able to display them.

Any help please.

Plug your 450 into your computer. It should go into "mass storage mode". Go to "my computer", open up "garmin", then "GPX". Delete the gpx files you have, then reload new ones. "found" will be gone. Also if you have logged all your finds, delete your "visits" file also. Do a search on this forum, this has been talked about 10 times at least.

Plug your 450 into your computer. It should go into "mass storage mode". Go to "my computer", open up "garmin", then "GPX". Delete the gpx files you have, then reload new ones. "found" will be gone. Also if you have logged all your finds, delete your "visits" file also. Do a search on this forum, this has been talked about 10 times at least.

What if you don't want to update your PQ's and just want to delete your found caches? U know, like we used to be able to do on the "old" Garmin's!! It's obviously an issue to a lot of people or it would not be a constant question on the forums. Like I said, "get with it Garmin".

There are geocaches published, disabled and archived every day, why wouldn’t you want to update your Pocket Queries? Why would you want to look for a cache that’s not there or miss one you just walked by? If you want it to work like the old Garmins then load your geocaches as waypoints like you did with your old Garmin and you can delete them from the GPS just like you want. The biggest reason this suggestion comes up is because people don’t use Pocket Queries. They are accustomed to the old system. Many use the “send to” button and 200 caches later they’re out of memory because they didn’t know about the 200 gpx file limit. Then they can’t figure out how to fix it because of Garmin’s worthless User Manual.

There are geocaches published, disabled and archived every day, why wouldn’t you want to update your Pocket Queries? Why would you want to look for a cache that’s not there or miss one you just walked by? If you want it to work like the old Garmins then load your geocaches as waypoints like you did with your old Garmin and you can delete them from the GPS just like you want. The biggest reason this suggestion comes up is because people don’t use Pocket Queries. They are accustomed to the old system. Many use the “send to” button and 200 caches later they’re out of memory because they didn’t know about the 200 gpx file limit. Then they can’t figure out how to fix it because of Garmin’s worthless User Manual.

Wow. But yeah, you've got a point. I'm now used to deleting the GPX files and the "founds" are no more.

Because I don't want to, that's why. I would like to delete ONE found cache if that is what I want to do. I guess some people just take what the big manufacturers give them and let it go. Not me, I pay for it and I would like it the way I want it, not how they want it. Again, like I said, it shouldn't be so hard to do with a little software work.

At the risk of getting a load of abuse from some of those who know more about this than I am going to I do I need to ask - I am considering purchasing an Oregon 450 - Once I have purchased the unit is there anything else I will need to buy/download before I can start Geocaching.

Edited by THOMASONES

At the risk of getting a load of abuse from some of those who know more about this than I am going to I do I need to ask - I am considering purchasing an Oregon 450 - Once I have purchased the unit is there anything else I will need to buy/download before I can start Geocaching.

Not a good idea to ask the same question in several different places...

It splits responses.

I've responded in the new thread that you opened. :)

The unit only comes with a base map which does not show streets and POI's. If you want to navigate "on road" via city streets you'll need to either purchase a map or use this forum to ask how to download a freebie. I bought the soft case for it, too.

Because I don't want to, that's why. I would like to delete ONE found cache if that is what I want to do. I guess some people just take what the big manufacturers give them and let it go. Not me, I pay for it and I would like it the way I want it, not how they want it.

Ah. The thing is, you paid for the unit as it is, and not as you'd like it to be.

Again, like I said, it shouldn't be so hard to do with a little software work.

Maybe, maybe not. I can imagine that rewriting a PQ-sized GPX file just to remove one entry can take quite a bit of work. How do you know?

What if you don't want to update your PQ's and just want to delete your found caches? U know, like we used to be able to do on the "old" Garmin's!! It's obviously an issue to a lot of people or it would not be a constant question on the forums. Like I said, "get with it Garmin".

why are you bored and want something to do, why do you want to delete them?

if you are not putting new PQ's on what is the point of deleting your finds?

not an issue as far as i'm concerned, and except for the odd handful of people that think it is an issue, obviously not an issue for the thousands of garmin gps owners

you have an automated process and you are asking for a manual one like you had on the old garmins, that makes no sense whatsoever

Edited by t4e

Dunno. I never used to bother deleting my founds on my old eTrex units. Until I had another PQ ready, it wasn't like I had to worry about finding space for anything.

That is exactly what I do. I update GSAK with each PQ I get to keep the caches up-to-date. I did not used to do this and ended up searching for disabled or archived caches a few time.

In my opinion there is no need to delete geocaches. Once you log them as found you don't see them unless you change to SHOW FOUND.

At least once a week I delete the GPX file and the geocaches found file and reload the GPX with GSAK.

If I am going someplace outside my area then I will just drag and drop a PQ for that area and then delete when I am done with that area. I don't put these area PQs in GSAK.