Archiving caches to make room for "new" ones

ocklawahaboy

Only really being active at this for about 2 years now I'm just starting to see something I'm sure everyone else is used to. It seems that whenever there is a big local event, I start seeing caches I've found being archived off. Then, for the event, a new one is placed about 10' away so that cachers will have the fun of going after a new cache. I'm sure I understand the reasoning behind this; including drawing folks to the event, reducing saturation etc.

It would seem though that it goes against the idea of caches being permanent. I like finding new caches and I like going to events but it's a little big of a drag to see huge groups of caches go away just so they are fresh for an event a few months later.

I was even looking at a state park several hours away where an event is scheduled next year and they've even posted on the cache pages a date when they will be archiving off all of the caches.

I know the CO owns them and can do what they want and that we all play this game in a different way but I just wondered what everyone's thoughts were.

Only really being active at this for about 2 years now I'm just starting to see something I'm sure everyone else is used to. It seems that whenever there is a big local event, I start seeing caches I've found being archived off. Then, for the event, a new one is placed about 10' away so that cachers will have the fun of going after a new cache. I'm sure I understand the reasoning behind this; including drawing folks to the event, reducing saturation etc.

It would seem though that it goes against the idea of caches being permanent. I like finding new caches and I like going to events but it's a little big of a drag to see huge groups of caches go away just so they are fresh for an event a few months later.

I was even looking at a state park several hours away where an event is scheduled next year and they've even posted on the cache pages a date when they will be archiving off all of the caches.

I know the CO owns them and can do what they want and that we all play this game in a different way but I just wondered what everyone's thoughts were.

90 days is adequate 'permanence'.

Why attend an event if there are not AT LEAST 50 new caches around to be found? You wouldn't want to spend your time actually socializing with those people, would you? (Well, perhaps if you had found enough of the 'new' caches to be able to brag about your numbers for the day.)

/sarcasm

the idea of caches being permanent

Cache permanence as defined by the Geocaching guidelines is 3 months

and they've even posted on the cache pages a date when they will be archiving off all of the caches

I'd guess you're looking at Jonathan Dickerson State Park, where the majority of the 200+ caches are archived annually, per park management. All caches there must have park management permission and are expected to be removed each year, and shifted to a new spot. A few more remote caches can remain, and a couple of older hides (the oldest cache in that county is in JDSP, it's allowed to stay "as is").

there are some folks in our area who do that...archive their caches and then replace in a spot that is pretty close, and it seems like an event is nearby. I see the potential reasons for it, but I would rather find new caches than go the same places, especially if its just basically the same thing by same CO on purpose.

Happens here a lot. Particularly with King Boreas. Whenever we see a bunch of his caches getting archived, we know that there are a bunch of new KB caches ready to be published. Just be sure to honor the permanence guidelines by waiting at least 3 months (preferably longer).

I sure hope he tries to mix it upo a bit. If he's just revamping the same hides and giving them new pages it seems kind of silly.

it's a little big of a drag to see huge groups of caches go away just so they are fresh for an event a few months later.

I just wondered what everyone's thoughts were.

why is it a drag? Why do you care one way or the other? You can go enjoy the event without finding the new caches if you want to.

It's been done in my area a couple of times in some of the larger county parks. Some people call it

"resetting the park." It's usually been several owners agreeing to archive some or most of their caches.

If it were just one cache owner and he was really just replacing caches in the same spots, I probably wouldn't look for them, but it wouldn't bother me at all. It would be just the same as if he had done nothing at all.

it's a little big of a drag to see huge groups of caches go away just so they are fresh for an event a few months later.

why is it a drag? Why do you care one way or the other? You can go enjoy the event without finding the new caches if you want to.

It's been done in my area a couple of times in some of the larger county parks. Some people call it

"resetting the park." It's usually been several owners agreeing to archive some or most of their caches.

If it were just one cache owner and he was really just replacing caches in the same spots, I probably wouldn't look for them, but it wouldn't bother me at all. It would be just the same as if he had done nothing at all.

It sure would look silly if they were just putting them all back in the same places. Might make me laugh in their general direction. But "resetting" a park doesn't sound bad.

I really enjoy finding the older caches.

As those really old caches disappear there will not be other old caches to replace them if we are archiving so many newer ones.

I guess for some areas this would be alright. I like the idea of "resetting" parks that have a high chance of the terrain getting trashed by too many people over a long period of time. That does sound smart to me.

But I hope we leave some of the really good old ones.

Nothing like a really good old cache.

Happens here a lot. Particularly with King Boreas. Whenever we see a bunch of his caches getting archived, we know that there are a bunch of new KB caches ready to be published. Just be sure to honor the permanence guidelines by waiting at least 3 months (preferably longer).

I sure hope he tries to mix it upo a bit. If he's just revamping the same hides and giving them new pages it seems kind of silly.

Most of his hides are stuck in a stump or under a pile of sticks at the base of a tree, so it isn't that difficult for him to find a fresh hiding spot nearby. They change up enough where you certainly can't just leave the GPS at home, that's for sure!

It sure would look silly if they were just putting them all back in the same places. Might make me laugh in their general direction. But "resetting" a park doesn't sound bad.

Actually I agree - that is a great idea!

Most of his hides are stuck in a stump or under a pile of sticks at the base of a tree, so it isn't that difficult for him to find a fresh hiding spot nearby. They change up enough where you certainly can't just leave the GPS at home, that's for sure!

I like caches hidden in and around trees. Not under a pile of sticks though - unique trees with twist and turns! I guess I like trees, do not kiss or hug them though! and burn plenty! :)

I believe I know which caches you are referring to. I had a chance to be the CO a few months ago and we talked about this.

As I recall, the CO (a family really) puts on this event every year where many people come from quite a distance. Old caches are archived and new caches are placed out. It's my understanding that the hides ARE different from year to year. Based on their description of the event, it sounded like a whole lot of fun.

Presumably the caches being archived are all being okayed by the owners before they are archived - if the owner has been keeping them maintained and wants them kept, I don't think it is allowable to archive them because 'we want new caches in the area'

As for certain people archiving an area and putting out new caches? I think it has the potential to be a great idea - most of us I bet will have worked through most of the caches in our areas, so clearing and replacing them give us a new set of hides to go find which gives a new lease of life to an area. As long as the new hides are completely new and not just retreading old ground it seems a great idea.

I've seen that happen around here only with puzzles. After a puzzle has been out a few years, sometimes the CO decides that it has run its course and archives it. Often, a traditional cache at the original puzzle's final location is published shortly thereafter. Less often, another puzzle appears, with a strangely familiar final location...

and they've even posted on the cache pages a date when they will be archiving off all of the caches

I'd guess you're looking at Jonathan Dickerson State Park, where the majority of the 200+ caches are archived annually, per park management. All caches there must have park management permission and are expected to be removed each year, and shifted to a new spot. A few more remote caches can remain, and a couple of older hides (the oldest cache in that county is in JDSP, it's allowed to stay "as is").

That's good info about Jonathan Dickerson. That's not the only place I've seen it though. Again, not trying to poke at the COs because I know they're within their rights and I enjoy finding their caches either way. Personally 10 or so good caches and some good games to go along with them are enough to get me to an event that I'm interested in. For instance, I drove 2 hrs to the Durney Key BBQ and only found about 8 caches. The fun was in the uniqueness of the event.

That's good info about Jonathan Dickerson. That's not the only place I've seen it though. Again, not trying to poke at the COs because I know they're within their rights and I enjoy finding their caches either way. Personally 10 or so good caches and some good games to go along with them are enough to get me to an event that I'm interested in. For instance, I drove 2 hrs to the Durney Key BBQ and only found about 8 caches. The fun was in the uniqueness of the event.

And when I go to an event it is to talk with fellow cachers. Share stories, ideas, and information. Put faces to names. Socialize. I couldn't care less about a bunch of silly games and new caches. I never could figure out why people drive hours to an event and then spend the whole day out caching.

And when I go to an event it is to talk with fellow cachers. Share stories, ideas, and information. Put faces to names. Socialize. I couldn't care less about a bunch of silly games and new caches. I never could figure out why people drive hours to an event and then spend the whole day out caching.

Many of the events I've attended only last two or three hours, so I can understand why it might be nice to have a bunch of new caches located nearby.

Indeed, some of the events I enjoy most bookend "cache-and-release" searches. You attend a kick-off event, spend up to 24 hours finding new caches, then attend a wrap-up event. They are great opportunities to socialize AND find new caches.