Hoggin trackables

Private Tucker

I have noticed a few of the more seasoned local cachers (4000+ finds) go around and grab all the trackables that are dropped in this area. Then they relocate them all to one of their own caches.....one that is a 5 out of 5 on terrain and difficulty, or one that has a requirement that makes them impossible to log for 99% of cachers.

To me, that kinda seems crappy to the folks who own the bugs or coins. To drop 20+ trackables in your own cache that probably won't be visited for 12 months seems rather rude. Or is it just me?

I'm from Alabama. Been caching with friends on and off for a few years. Decided to make my own username finally .

I was just wondering if it was normal for folks to make weekly runs all around the area grabbing every TB or coin they see, and then drop them in their own cache week after week to join all the previous ones that still haven't been grabbed by anyone.

To me, it just seems rather rude. Every time we find a bug, we read its goal and see if we can help it. To just grab them all regardless of goal and put them in your own cache seems a bit lame. And then to top it off, it's a cache that 3 people have logged a FIND on in the last year. So those trackables are basically stuck there. Some are in a race. I picture the kids that released it being very sad that their little Matchbox car is sitting in a cache for months and months with little hope of being grabbed any time soon.

The attitude of some of the other cachers around here is "well they've got thousands of finds, so i guess they can do that". I think it sucks, regardless if you're a pro cacher or a noob. I was curious to get the opinions of some of the forum users here.

Edited by toolson

That's unusual.

But Trackables can end up in any cache, even a 5/5. You can't require a timeframe in which a Trackable must be found again. It's all part of the game. If people need it to keep moving, they MUST request that on the Travelers page. "Only place me in 1/1 caches that are frequently found" or whatever.

I would like to see Trackables NOT all placed into one container, unless there's some special plan -- where maybe a cacher's intending to soon retrieve them all for a long trip. Otherwise, it's bad when you have all the eggs in one basket, when the basket disappears.

Edited by kunarion

Picking up and assisting every trackable you find is perfectly acceptable. That's what they are there for. Saying that people shouldn't pick up a bug so that someone else has a chance to get it is going directly against the bug owners intent.

Harvesting however, that is collecting bugs to place in your own cache is likely not assisting the bug towards the goal.

Send me an email off line and I'll take a look. Respected cachers always interest me.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Here's one.

TB Hogger

Thanks, Let me do some digging on a possible resolution.

I think he's up to 18 or so in that one. Seems like he has a rather difficult requirement for a logging that cache that will not bring many visitors. I'm not wanting to anger anyone, or get anyone in trouble. Just trying to point out to him that some of those bugs/coins have goals that don't get achieved if they sit in a giant pile in his cache.

It is perfectly legal based on Groundspeaks rules, anyone can collect travel bugs, and they can distribute them wherever they like.

At the same time it does seem slightly odd and counterproductive to do something like this - travel bugs are meant to travel, which they won't in a tricky cache - a paid members only cache, a puzzle cache and one with a high difficulty all separately make for a lesser travelled cache compared to most, together make it what I would expect a rarely found cache.

I would wander if the cache owner has an ulterior motive here in doing something like this - trying to collect bugs as a draw for potential visitors or something else, what the exact reasons for this only the person in question will know.

I love moving travelerss and boy would this every tick me off. I would HATE one of my TB's to be in that cache. I can't believe he was arrogant enough to make the comments in the logs about placing tb's in toolson's name after they made a legitimate comment. Sure hope that cache doesn't get muggled. And I hope the first person to that cache will remove all of the TB's and get them moving again. Lots of caches or not that is just down right rude and inconsiderate of the TB owners.

I'm not wanting to anger anyone

That may be unavoidable, unless you just let it go, to wait for TB Hogger to tire of hogging. I thought maybe he at least rotates the inventory, but no. If I were that previous finder of that cache, I'd remove my "find" pronto, and replace it with a special Note. You would not have me on record approving of this practice of hogging.

What do the various TB owners think of having their TBs stuck? You might contact them, and they can edit their TB pages to reflect their desires. At least they all know where their TBs are, maybe a little consolation. I take back what I previously replied. This situation feels a lot like when the folks take a coin, add it to their personal collection to keep, then "track" it through caches.

From now on, when there are questions about what kind of mindset plays this game in a way to deliberately make others miserable, I shall reply that I still don’t understand, but I’ll tell them who to ask.

Now he us doing it just to make you mad, because you posted a note. I suggest that you delete the note. We can only worry about our own TBs. Write to the reviewer, ask them to look into it, or write to contact @ geocaching.com. But it is better not to play the TB police with personalities like this one.

Wow did a little more checking on those bugs and it appears he has been hoarding a few for a long time. Retrieved them from an archived event cache which is where he placed them originally. So he kinda saved them from the graveyard in a way. Graveyard in his possession that is. What a jerk. Boy I wish I lived close to there. Too far tho. This has my blood boiling LOL

what a [many words come to mind insert here your own choice] to do, what is the point?

i also never quite understood why people leave trackables in hard to get to caches? although this is at the posted coordinates so anyone can go

i suggest, if you can, go an "rescue" all this poor bugs

and i'm sorry Eartha, i know there is not a lot that can be done, but simply suggesting that such personalities are better let be is not acceptable, at least someone from GC could contact this person

he/she caches almost every day what's their excuse for not moving those TB's?

we came across a cache where the owner had a requirement that if you take one you MUST leave one if not he will delete the log, the cache was literally stuffed with TB's so we took most of them and pointed out in our log that such requirement is not acceptable, he went on to delete our logs and a cat and mouse game ensued i reloged, he deleted, i reloged he deleted...eventually he archived it

Edited by t4e

i suggest, if you can, go an "rescue" all this poor bugs

and i'm sorry Eartha, i know there is not a lot that can be done, but simply suggesting that such personalities are better let be is not acceptable

A "rescue" will compound the problem, since the CO has proven ready to escalate at the slightest provocation. I agree with Eartha (as usual :P). Let it go, and trust that others closer to the CO can help him work through his issues. His actions are a serious cry for help, and I hope he gets it.

we came across a cache where the owner had a requirement that if you take one you MUST leave one if not he will delete the log, the cache was literally stuffed with TB's so we took most of them and pointed out in our log that such requirement is not acceptable, he went on to delete our logs and a cat and mouse game ensued i reloged, he deleted, i reloged he deleted...eventually he archived it

If you had simply reported him to Groundspeak to begin with, they could have reinstated your log, locked it so that he could not delete it and reminded him that ALR's especially those that are designed to keep TB's in his prison are against the guidelines. the result probably would have been the same (the archiving of his cache) and would have saved you much grief and allowed you to keep the smiley...

If you had simply reported him to Groundspeak to begin with, they could have reinstated your log, locked it so that he could not delete it and reminded him that ALR's especially those that are designed to keep TB's in his prison are against the guidelines. the result probably would have been the same (the archiving of his cache) and would have saved you much grief and allowed you to keep the smiley...

i did report it to GC and i suffered no grief all, i actually quite enjoyed finding out who can hold the stare longer :lol:

and i did keep my smilie :anibad:

If there is an issue with this type of person, it's best not to handle it yourself. Contact Groundspeak and explain the story. Let them handle it from there. A word from the top would have more weight than a word from someone who is merely a concerned citizen looking out for others. They obviously do not know the meaning of the word respect. And they are now doing it to taunt the OP. Two logs with two more trackables dropped off, both saying they were dropped just for the OP. An obvious disregard for someone who's only fault was that they cared. No amount of talking to them will help. Best to take it to the top, but they really aren't doing anything against any guidelines, except for not looking into the goals of these trackables. There are some weird people in this world. You never know when a simple communication is going to end up antagonizing someone into becoming a problem.

OMG this guy added two more travelers still taunting other cacher. Sure wish I lived close, I would rescue all those travelers and get them moving again. I don't even live there and this has really gotten me ired. This guy is an absolute jerk. Hope Groundspeak steps in and gets this taken care of.

I live too far away also, but I agree that this is just wrong to do to the owners of those trackables. I have only put out a couple of trackables and they both went missing quickly. One after only 2 moves and 1 after the initial placement. But I love to move trackables, my husband and I moved probably 5 or 6 last weekend. We also were able to pick up 4 or 5 new ones and we'll be moving them this weekend. I love to watch where trackables I've had in my possession for a little while were moved. We've even picked one trackable up twice in different areas and many months apart. I so badly want to make a rescue mission and get these little guys moving again, but Pa to Mississippi is just not a weekend trip.

I live too far away also, but I agree that this is just wrong to do to the owners of those trackables. I have only put out a couple of trackables and they both went missing quickly. One after only 2 moves and 1 after the initial placement. But I love to move trackables, my husband and I moved probably 5 or 6 last weekend. We also were able to pick up 4 or 5 new ones and we'll be moving them this weekend. I love to watch where trackables I've had in my possession for a little while were moved. We've even picked one trackable up twice in different areas and many months apart. I so badly want to make a rescue mission and get these little guys moving again, but Pa to Mississippi is just not a weekend trip.

Hey, Ohio here, meet you somewhere and we can make a weekend trip out of this. LOL Could be the longest distance driven for ONE cache. LOL

Gee, I'm going to Florida in Nov, but I'm flying. Do you think they could land somewhere close so I can do a quick rescue? :lol: Is there anyone from the area that could do the rescue and then place the TBs in other caches without logging them in. Then someone can grab them. At least then this guy can't track it back to whoever was the rescuer? Would this work?

Hey that sounds like a good idea to me. I just wonder if he is holding these inside the house tho, since in order to log this cache you have to wait for a notification from him as to your logging is sufficient. I would imagine this kind of guy would do that too. What a jerk he is.

What this child by the name of Toolson has failed to inform you of is that first off he is a sockpuppet. He was too cowardly to contact me with his true caching name. Second off, his first posting my cache page was extremely rude and foul mouthed. Apparently he got very upset that I deleted his note on the cache page and told him to man up and contact me with his real account. Also that he could have emailed me instead of that rude and foul mouthed note on the cache page. Third he was informed that I am planning on a long trip and will me rotating all of these bugs and tb's to various caches along my route. This child didn't inform any of you of that plan either. Yes I have dipped them into my challenge to give them more milage, but they will indeed be dropped elsewhere. In the old days we called someone like him a troll. He delights in making trouble without telling the whole truth. He especially loves it when he can get other people to believe him with lies and half truths. I suspect that in reality he is someone here in Miss. who has caused trouble for other cachers here. This person believes that he is the cacher police in Miss. What he needs to do is grow up and worry about his own problems and let the real cachers enjoy this wonderful sport.

I am glad to see your response wareagle59. I for one, am happy to hear that you will be re-distributing all of the TBs in the near future. I think what upset me the most was when you seemed to be taunting Toolson with the postings on the cache page. I do not know him/her nor do I know you, but he did seem to have a legitimate complaint and the taunting type notes just seemed to add more crecedence to his story.

I am glad to see your response wareagle59. I for one, am happy to hear that you will be re-distributing all of the TBs in the near future. I think what upset me the most was when you seemed to be taunting Toolson with the postings on the cache page. I do not know him/her nor do I know you, but he did seem to have a legitimate complaint and the taunting type notes just seemed to add more crecedence to his story.

That was simply an attempt to try and get him to contact me with his real caching name instead of his sockpuppet account. I see that he is still hiding behind it though.

I'm not sure what you meant about "foul mouthed"...but I'm sure posting taunting messages back made you feel like a real man. And then you deleted them all to cover up your arrogance. Nice.

I do not claim to be the cache police. Nor am I am sock puppet. I usually cache as a group with others. We use one account to log our finds. I didn't want my opinion of your TB hogging to be reflected on the group so I made my own user name. Sue me.

Edited by toolson

I'm not sure what you meant about "foul mouthed"...but I'm sure posting taunting messages back made you feel like a real man. And then you deleted them all to cover up your arrogance. Nice.

I do not claim to be the cache police. Nor am I am sock puppet. I usually cache as a group with others. We use one account to log our finds. I didn't want my opinion of your TB hogging to be reflected on the group so I made my own user name. Sue me.

Your response to my so-called taunting shows you to be the troll you are. Your claim about my reason for deleting logs shows your intent to cause trouble in an open forum. Just like your original post on my cache's web page. You knew, due to my email to you what I intended to do with those tb's. Yet you started this forum discussion anyway. Trying to tell someone how to move tb's the MANNER you did shows your intent to try to be a cache policeman. As for being a sockpuppet, you know it, I know, and a good number of people that I have already talked to know it. Several of the people are tempted to expose your true identity in an open forum. I however have told them not to lower themselves to your level.

As for my so-called arrogance.....I have nothing to prove to the likes of you. I don't care one whit what you think of me. The only cachers that I care about, and care what they think of me, are my local friends, The Six Pack Attack Crew(of which I am one of the Six), There are some in Louisiana, Alabama, and a few in both Arkansas, and Tennessee. I have been in this sport long enough to have run into several children like you. You can't be happy until you throw out that Trolling line and reel some unsuspecting people in. It is people like you that run off new cachers. However don't even for a moment think you can hurt me, run me off, or turn some of my friends against me. They laugh at people like you.

I have over 7200 finds, have cached in 9 states, have done 3 Delorme Challenges, 3 State County Challenges, numerous other challenges,have over 350 FTF's, and have 123 hides. Do you honestly think that I am going to change anything I do, because of something you claim? My cache hides are just that, mine. As long as I follow the rules of hides set forth by gc.com, I can run them how I want to run them. And if I want to drop tb's and coins in one of my hides before I move them on, then that is my business, not yours.

You left a nasty note on my cache page, you know that I know that. I deleted it, then you posted another note that you post dated to match the same date as the original note. This was something that I would have responded to much better had you emailed me instead. Again since you didn't like my response, you started this thread to get some childish satisfaction. You seriously need to grow up. It is that simple.

I have never met you, yet you seem to know all about me. Or at least you think you do. Expose my "true identity", even though this is it. Congrats on all your finds and accomplishments. But no number of challenges completed, cache finds, or travel bugs you log will make you any less of a jerk. You know it, I know it, and anyone who read the posts on your cache page knows it (too bad you deleted them all). The truth points to itself.

Just something to think about.

My original note asked if it was really necessary to put all of those bugs in one cache, a cache that won't get that many visitors due to its requirement. It asked you to consider the goals for those bugs, since it appeared that you were just sticking bugs in the same cache every day. I guess that was rude by you?

I posted the topic not just about you. There are others who roll like you do. I just asked if it was common. (see above) They wanted an example, you were kind enough to provide a great one.

I have not received any emails from you. All I know of you is from your posts on your cache page where you were quite rude. Others agreed that you were rude. Then you got caught. And then you deleted them so you look like a nice guy. It doesn't work.

24 bugs in one cache, some of which have been in your possession for 2 months with no movement. And you kept collecting and dropping "in my name" . Seems like a cruddy thing to do. Others agreed. Then when other got involved THEN you started pulling some out. And them you deleted all the "drops in Toolson's name" posts that you made. Classy for sure.

I am tired of talking about this. So go on back to collecting all trackables in the area. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Toolson out.

Edited by toolson

As for my so-called arrogance.....I have nothing to prove to the likes of you.

I have over 7200 finds, have cached in 9 states, have done 3 Delorme Challenges, 3 State County Challenges, numerous other challenges,have over 350 FTF's, and have 123 hides.

OK.....

And your point is?

As for my so-called arrogance.....I have nothing to prove to the likes of you.

I have over 7200 finds, have cached in 9 states, have done 3 Delorme Challenges, 3 State County Challenges, numerous other challenges,have over 350 FTF's, and have 123 hides.

OK.....

And your point is?

That I have nothing to prove to someone who hides behind a sockpuppet account.

Well, sock puppet or not, I understand this person being upsset about all the TB's in this particular cache. I love to move travelers and would be upset if you were doing this in my area. Other people like to move travelers too and putting this many in the same cache that won't be visited very often would make me a little irritated too. I check caches around my area all the time and if there is a traveler that has been in the same cache for a couple of months I go and grab it to move it to get it going again. I have several in my possession right now and have been moving them and plan a trip to Kentucky next week where I will be placing them along the way and in and around Louisville area. I also would not want one of my own travelers in this cache where there wasn't much of a chance for it to move around. Just a thought.

Well, sock puppet or not, I understand this person being upsset about all the TB's in this particular cache. I love to move travelers and would be upset if you were doing this in my area. Other people like to move travelers too and putting this many in the same cache that won't be visited very often would make me a little irritated too. I check caches around my area all the time and if there is a traveler that has been in the same cache for a couple of months I go and grab it to move it to get it going again. I have several in my possession right now and have been moving them and plan a trip to Kentucky next week where I will be placing them along the way and in and around Louisville area. I also would not want one of my own travelers in this cache where there wasn't much of a chance for it to move around. Just a thought. I think this matter has perhaps gotten out of hand with the "in Toolson's name" etc. You gotta admit if you were reading this you might think it was over the top reponse too.

I think this matter has perhaps gotten out of hand with the "in Toolson's name" etc. You gotta admit if you were reading this you might think it was over the top reponse too.

It certainly was. The hogger made it a point to attack everyone, in truly underhanded ways (GS could maybe do a little double-checking in this regard, please). From the beginning, he should have put something on the cache page or the trackables, "I'm filling the cache with trackables for the purpose of [wonderful reason you're all gonna love goes here]. Sorry for the confusion." And that would have completely dispelled the issue (at least for a few months).

Or the OP could have just gone and grabbed the Trackables, and not needed to bring it up here at all. Either/or.

Edited by kunarion
I think this matter has perhaps gotten out of hand with the "in Toolson's name" etc. You gotta admit if you were reading this you might think it was over the top reponse too.

It certainly was. The hogger made it a point to attack everyone, in truly underhanded ways (GS could maybe do a little double-checking in this regard, please). From the beginning, he should have put something on the cache page or the trackables, "I'm filling the cache with trackables for the purpose of [wonderful reason you're all gonna love goes here]. Sorry for the confusion." And that would have completely dispelled the issue (at least for a few months).

Or the OP could have just gone and grabbed the Trackables, and not needed to bring it up here at all. Either/or.

Once more. The TB's were never meant to be left in my cache.(except for the bigfoot coin, the owner said to leave it there). They were planned to be moved on an upcoming(this Wednesday) long caching trip. toolson was informed of this in 2 emails.(emails that he convenently claims he didn't get but are in my "sent" box) Yet he was upset that I deleted his foul post(under his sockpuppet account), on the cache page and informed his not to post a message like that on my cache page. That if he had a problem to contact me by email. So he started this thread under his sockpuppet account. Claiming something he knew wasn't true. As for the taunting of toolson, yes that may have been overboard. I was only trying to get him angry enough to drop the sockpuppet and use his real user name.

I am sorry that all of you were taken in on his deseption.

However my plans for Wednesday have changed. I am now going to be working a power trail. And those of you who have done one know that most of the containers are micros. So today, I have already distributed several of the TB's to local caches. The others will be sent elsewhere soon, as was the original intent. An intent that toolson knew before he started this thread. There is nothing else I can do about this. There is nothing I intend to do about this, other than what I originally intended to do.