Geocaches that never get found?

CACAHUETES

Hi everybody

Just wondering if anyone else has put out a cache that never seems to get found. I'm not trying to say anything about mine, as they have only been out a few days, but if they don't get a few more finds over the next couple of weeks it will dishearten me a lot.

Anyways, I've stuck another one out today, and if it passes through review smoothly then get out there and find it - but it is a tricky one!

'Huetes :ph34r:

I read of one cache took 6 years for a FTF, and I've got two caches that cannot get a FTF until almost a year after publication. Can you imagine that cache owner's patience to wait 6 years until someone found his cache?

Some caches just don't get found very often. Park and grabs in urban areas will have a lot more logs than those in rural areas.

Today I archived my puzzle cache 'slope distance'. It was found about 40' downhill from where I placed it 4 years ago. It had been destroyed by a bear. It was found in September 2007 and last week. In the spring I will place a new better slope distance cache that I hope more than 4 cachers will find in the next 4 years.

Here in Oregon, we have a challenge going to log caches that have not been logged in more than 12 months.

This summer I got credit for one that had not been found in 33 months.

Hidden 2001, not yet found... GC14C3

This is only one of many where it would be helpful if there was a periodic mandatory maintenance check done by the CO.

There are many that have been left out there and are still active but no one, not even the CO, knows if the cache is still viable.

Yes, I know, Some may fudge and say they have done maintenance and have not, I think they would be in the minority and in the long run, would be found out.

Most of the Geocaching community is above that and I could live with it.

i would be proud to have one not found or found very little. Says something about the person that hid the cache and a little about the those that go to find it.

I agree that a truly clever and deceptive cache with a comparable difficulty and/or terrain rating is deserving of being a challenge and DNF's can be expected. I dislike NIAH type caches where a micro nano is hidden in a forest yet difficulty/terrain ratings are 1-2 stars. Some of those CO's get great pleasure out of never getting a "find" logged. Trust me, I can hide a cache that no one will ever find...but what's the point?

yup... I know that I am not expecting a huge run of finds and that the FTF may take a while on the 1st cache I am gonna hide just due to the area I am looking to hide it in. The longer it goes, the better just means I did a good job hiding and picking the location. Though I am not sure if I want to make it a multi or regular just yet. Though I do have the container picked out and it is a place I go enough times to make maintance easy. I am gonna work on it over the winter and try to get it placed come spring. Just have a few loose ends to tie up on the area first.