Caches with logs that are good to read?

tvchick

Well, since today here at the job, our network = NOTwork, I am goofing off instead of mowing the lawn of paperwork growing on my desk.

I know some cachers lament the loss of well-written log entries out there. I'm barely over a year on the scene, so I don't know if I have a worthy opinion on it, but as you can guess by this post so far, I'm not exactly a TFTC-only logger.

And so I wondered: are there any logs or caches that cachers consider good/entertaining reads? I found one by a SoCal cacher about his rattlesnake bite adventure. It almost makes me wish there were "favorite" points for logs, though I imagine that could go a little nuts.

I found this puzzle cache that is chock full of good reads, particularly because of the cacher it honored:

http://coord.info/GC1444P

Happy Wednesday! :grin:

The well-written log (much like the well-placed cache) is becoming something of a rarity.

Neither is entirely dead quite yet, so there is still hope.

I like to think I do my part when possible, but there are SO MANY new caches that only warrant my minimal Found, log signed. Thanks for the [:)] !

Even so, I am ever hopeful that the next one will be at a location that I would enjoy visiting even if there were no cache there.

After I started Geocaching I would write what I thought was a nice log thanking the cacher for placing it and commenting on the hide or container if appropriate. Then I noticed an influx of abbreviated logs being posted. being new to the sport I followed suit. But then I thought, some CO's have put a lot of time and effort in placing some caches so they deserve something more then TFTC TNLN/SL. So I went back to writing more about my experience of why I was out looking that day and my experience in finding the cache. I know I enjoy it when cachers take the time to write something about my caches and hides. Just last week I hid two new caches. I spent some time planning them out and camoing the the containers with something other then camo duct tape. The first to find on the one cache did a TFTC. To me that was a let down. Kind of a slap in the face. This person only had one thing in mind, that coveted FTF. They wouldn't have given a rip if I had taken a plain film cannister and threw it on the ground with a log in it. I know this isn't what you are addressing in your question, but it gave me an opportunity to rant and hopefully challenge cachers to get out of the rut of abbreviated logs. :rolleyes:

There is a 'cache' hidden in the local library here that encourages you to read the 'paper' log. When I found it I spent at least 30 minutes reading some of the longer entries. Great thing about it was, all these muggles around, and not one realized I was reading the logs in a geocache.....

The well-written log (much like the well-placed cache) is becoming something of a rarity.

I like to think I do my part when possible, but there are SO MANY new caches that only warrant my minimal Found, log signed. Thanks for the [:)] !

Even so, I am ever hopeful that the next one will be at a location that I would enjoy visiting even if there were no cache there.

After I started Geocaching I would write what I thought was a nice log thanking the cacher for placing it and commenting on the hide or container if appropriate. Then I noticed an influx of abbreviated logs being posted. being new to the sport I followed suit. But then I thought, some CO's have put a lot of time and effort in placing some caches so they deserve something more then TFTC TNLN/SL. So I went back to writing more about my experience of why I was out looking that day and my experience in finding the cache. I know I enjoy it when cachers take the time to write something about my caches and hides. Just last week I hid two new caches. I spent some time planning them out and camoing the the containers with something other then camo duct tape. The first to find on the one cache did a TFTC. To me that was a let down. Kind of a slap in the face. This person only had one thing in mind, that coveted FTF. They wouldn't have given a rip if I had taken a plain film cannister and threw it on the ground with a log in it. I know this isn't what you are addressing in your question, but it gave me an opportunity to rant and hopefully challenge cachers to get out of the rut of abbreviated logs. :rolleyes:

There are other forums to put in what you don't like about loggers. This is actually a cool thread since it gives you the chance to show logs that really were written well.

There are other forums to put in what you don't like about loggers. This is actually a cool thread since it gives you the chance to show logs that really were written well.

Well, I'd cut WalkWorthy some slack, he obviously doesn't post much, or probably even look at the forums too much. He does indeed have several lame TFTF logs on his last two hides. And surprise, every single one of them by a 2011 joiner. :o

Anyways, here's some good reading, Get to the point! in Ontario, Canada. Most notably the multiple-part logs from the guys who sailed across Lake Erie from Pennsylvania to find the cache in July, 2007.

We get some really good ones in the Lincoln, NE area.

FTF adventure

FTF adventure -part 1

part 2 of the above

(This cacher's logs tend to exceed the size limit)

The adventures of the local fauna at Big at Big Blue cache

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4 - the found log

Winter caching on minimum maintenance roads

Beware of Zombies part 1

Beware of Zombies - note

There are more but that's all I have time to look up

Looks like we lost all the logs by geocacher named Oregone, they were wonderful.

The logs on The Homeless Bathtub are often entertaining, though you must be a PM to read them.

What happened to Oregone? Did he delete them?

Oh, and speaking Auntie Weasel, here's what I consider a side splitting log of hers. I was just surfing my own finds a few years ago, and noticed her log (she found it a few months after me). Wicked Heartburn

Adding a recent log on a cache I own. This cacher, JJG10101 consistently posts great, creative logs. Some short, some long, but always enjoyable to read!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=14bf8e9a-db2e-4024-89a5-29eaa2889288

Maybe this can become an ongoing thread... instead of wondering where all the well written logs have gone, maybe we can encourage people by posting examples? :smile:

Edited by tvchick

Whenever this comes up I'll toss in logs like this from Yrium, who was very well known in the San Diego area in the early days you could usually get a chuckle out of his logs.

yrium

[Caches Found] 169

Found it Found it

11/30/2001

Working at home, Feverishly doing the work of three programmers, I’m often interrupted by pestiferous little timewasters known as email. Each one shows up like a wet puppy on the doorstep, insistently whining for entrance. Like little yips coming from my electronic porch, each one wants a moment of my time. Each one, like a used car salesman – cloaks himself as my true friend. Each one guaranteed to tee me off, and slow my work pace to that of a sloth’s. Emails detailing various scams go directly to my trash. I got a college degree – thank you very much. My credit ratings okay, If I need relief I’ll take Tums. I don’t need your ink jet cartridges Mr BigCatLotto, go away! Mrs Cleo… If your psychic, why don’t you know you’re annoying the heck out of me and I’m never going to call you to find out what my lucky numbers are. And for all those people sending me virus warnings because their daughter, who is away at college, just heard about a virus on yesterday’s six-oclock news… I’m way ahead of you sister, keep your virus warning to yourself.

Oh happy moment when the last email appeared. It’s a geocaching notification referencing new caches in the area. Aha! Vagabond has placed another. I look eagerly forward to quitting time. I’ve been wanting something to take my mind off of current events, this looks made to order. When’s Superfly getting home from school? Gromit and I are ready to go. We leave the house a bit before five. I hold a hope of light traffic ahead as we drive the Southbound 15 from Escondido. We are slowed thru Miramar and crossing under the 805 but make pretty good time. Sun has gone down but there seems to be enough light to see by. We pull into the nearest Marian Bear Park entrance and start our walk. I think we’ll find the cache before the light is fully gone, We hurry down the trail. As Beeque foretold, Gromit is tugging at his leash as we walk. Superfly, being cold has decided to jog ahead to generate some body heat. I carry an enormous quantity of BTU’s under my capacious epidermis, no lack of warmth here!

continued in note...

View Log

yrium

[Caches Found] 169

Write note Write note

11/30/2001

Just a few hundred feet to go and we have a problem. Its gotten dark quick and we have to traverse an area filled with dark green leaves as seen under the fading light. Superfly asks tremulously “Is that Poison Oak?”. He’s remembering Vagabond’s warning in the cache description. No botanist me, my reply is “Does it have 5 points”, I don’t know where that came from. He answered “No, it has three… What does that mean?”. Heck if I know, try not to touch it I say as I push confidently by. I’m wearing long pants, he’s just wearing shorts. I can’t figure out why he was cold earlier. We find a little stream bed and due to the recent rains there is just enough water flowing by that we have to pick our steps carefully to get thru okay. I just recently got some new white tennis shoes and I’m hoping to get back home with their surfaces unblemished. Gromit crosses as he does when ever there is water about, he finds the widest possible place to ford, then tranverses the wet obstacle at a slant, maximizing the time his paws are in the water. Needless to say he returned home in the cargo area of the Pathfinder. I wouldn’t want to face the wrath of Whistlestick if I’d allowed Gromit to track mud on the back seats.

We are close now, unfortunately its too dark to see anything. Superfly is moaning about spiderwebs and poison oak so he’s not much help as I search for Vagabond’s cache. My GPS is telling me lies… There’s no cache here, I start to widen my search area poking likely looking piles of leaves with my walking stick. Oh there’s a metallic noise! I’ve found it! I bend over and dig a bit in the mulch… NOPE, I’ve just uncovered an old bottle, I resume my search. I’m walking along side an old tree log that is about 30 feet long peering under it when I just start to crack up. Gromit is shadowing my steps, but instead of walking thru the weedy ground, he’s daintily walking along the top of the log. I’m pretty impressed with his Wallenda like abilities. If I’d only known I could have sold him to a circus when he was young and made a pretty penny. It’s too bad I’m just a bit too attached to the furry critter to part with him now.

Okay, this is getting ridiculous, we can’t find the cache anywhere and now its really really dark. A full moon later tonight is no help now as me and the Superfly are quickly wearing out our squint muscles. I have a dinky double A sized Mag flashlight that we are using, but it looks like we are going to have to record a not found. Oh, there it is! Whew that was close. Holding the flashlight with my chin I look thru the log. 10:30am? BeeQue done found it 8 hours before us. And Mr UU was here while I was still planning my lunch. Superfly, Gromit and I take the Bronze. We dropped off a traveling Pumba warthog traveler and a georged dollar bill and take a stuffed Pixel creature that must be COMPUSA’s failed mascot as I don’t recall ever seeing him before. Entering our travails in the log we head back to the car in the dark. As we brush aside foliage I’m again struck by my utter lack of knowledge of what poison oak looks like. We keep our eyes open as we hike back and I can’t truthfully say if we walked thru it or not. I can say that we didn’t cross paths with any carnivorous rutabagas though.

Thanks for the Cache Vagabond, We loved it!

--- yrium ---

Not all old logs have been deleted, though I think there may be a maximum number of log entries per cache that may cut off some of the earliest entries on old caches. (Note that archived caches will probably have more older logs then current caches.)

This cache was all about the story:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c8ac270a-51cc-43a1-9e3c-ec69d247da0c&log=y&decrypt=

Just don't take the stories too seriously. I found out about this since it was referenced in another cache description. (The cache was archived before I started Geocaching.)