The solution to lazy loggers

bilsta1000

I may have found the solution, I don't know if this has been done already but I've read some pretty pathetic logged finds that were obviously not finds.

Finds where it is obvious that the Geocacher just gave up and didn't want to post a DNF, because lets be honest everyone hates that feeling of walking away if they fail to find a cache so you get logs like.

"I was in the general area, I've seen where it would be, didn't actually sign the log."

The solution is.

The Cache Owner simply places one word on the first page of the log book which is then used as a Captcha as sorts to post a log.

For nanos maybe do a couple of letters or numbers or both.

This makes it so that only people who have had access to the log book can post the find online.

I know this will be a problem with iced up caches but if they aren't winter friendly then it's probably not a good idea to be hunting them whilst it is possible they are iced.

I'm welcome to criticism as not all ideas are feasible but I think this has a good chance.

Whta you are suggesting existed in the past under the name "password cache" but is a cache type that is no longer permitted.

Yep.

It smells like a solution in search of a problem to me.

For goodness sakes if they said they drove by and didn't sign the log just delete the log and be done with it.

Yep.

Yep.

Besides the fact that it's an illegal ALR, what's to keep people from sharing the code?

as puzzle solutions and final coordinates for multi.... some will always find the easiest path just like water does.

At least on the puzzles and multis, they go there and find the final and sign the log. Using a code word to "prove" that you have been there is an open door for armchair caching.

So laminate the word.

Why is it not permitted to do password caches anymore.

Because geocaching is not a competition. It's a fun sport and creating all sorts of rules and methods for verification that a cache was found that don't actually work any better then the current system is unnecessary.

Bickering over the rules of a cache "find" was never the intent of Geocaching.com. There's no prize, no leaderboard, and no trophy, so there's no reason to get your knickers in a twist about anyone else's definition of a find.

From the guidelines for cache ownership

Owner is responsible for geocache page upkeep. As the owner of your geocache listing, your responsibility includes quality control of all posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off-topic or otherwise inappropriate.

I had an idea similar to this. It was going to be a nano so small that the log would only have the letters of the alphabet on it. The numbers would be randomized so you would just have to post the letter you crossed off on the log. I would have a copy of the log so I would know if someone actually went there or not. I would also know if someone didn't cross of a letter. It wouldn't be that hard to keep track of logs. I figure if someone was going to go to the trouble of trying to guess the order of the numbers to armchair log it then you aren't going to stop them no matter what you do.

I don't see why it would be so bad to log that way. If you aren't going to maintain the cache then it doesn't matter if it has an alr or something else like that. It will be dealt with eventually.

Edited by jhellwig

If I don't sign the log in your cache its a note or a DNF.

If you don't sign the log in my cache its a note or a DNF, or it gets deleted.

I put the darn thing just out of reach for a reason! Aren't able to do it?, then don't. Log a DNF or a note.

I really don't see a solution for assuring a true find, other than the logbook and what someone admits to on the cache post.

Edited by EraSeek

How about something much more simple. To verify your find, you just have to take a picture of the logbook with your name and the previous finder's names and upload the picture with your log.

We have a local challenge cache (small-c challenge, not the new big-c Challenges) which requires photographic evidence of your find, and a picture of the logbook is listed as one form of evidence that will be deemed acceptable. I'll likely never Find the challenge even when I meet all the other requirements since I don't see the point.

If you have doubts about my Find, check the logbook. That's all the proof you need.

requiring a passcode sounds a lot like terracaching and that is the main reason I do not do those....hard to log even when you legitimately find one as you can write down the # wrong and then the owner wont believe you. it will be the people with the largest network of friends who succeed well in the hobby, thus, its hard for new people to enjoy it. No passwords.

How about something much more simple. To verify your find, you just have to take a picture of the logbook with your name and the previous finder's names and upload the picture with your log.

I don't have a camera to take photos. I think I have one on my phone but all I can do with that is hit a couple of buttons and say 'hello'.