Cheap, Durable Stages for Multi in Woods

St.Matthew

Now that I finally have my hands on some ammo cans, I'd like to eventually place a multi stage geocache in one of my local public parks. I've done a few multi-stage cahces in the woods, and I've seen different materials used. Sometimes the stages are in containers, sometimes not.

What is relatively cheap, yet durable and weather resistant way to create the stages leading up to the final? Someone recommended dog tags from the kiosk at WalMart, but those are 5 bucks a pop. Any help is appreciated.

A common stage here is a matchsafe container ($1 from big box stores in the camping area), with a piece of small diameter pvc pipe inside. Coords written on this with indelible marker. I've seen wood dowels used too, but they'll mildew, even if the matchsafe stays dry. Paper works, but even using waterproof paper is less hardy then the pvc option.

I do 2 things to those matchsafes

1) black paint or camo tape

2) wire tie a D ring to them so they're easy to hang using braided nylon, or wire.

I'm planning one where I intend to use a piece of board (not plywood) about 3 by 4 inches by 1/2 or 5/8 inch thick. I'm thinking of writing the coordinates on the wood (maybe permanent marker, or maybe paint) and then coating with varathane or something like that to keep it weather-resistant. It will then also be inside something else (I don't want to say what) for a bit more protection. This sounds cheap & durable to me; what do you think?

I'm planning one where I intend to use a piece of board (not plywood) about 3 by 4 inches by 1/2 or 5/8 inch thick. I'm thinking of writing the coordinates on the wood (maybe permanent marker, or maybe paint) and then coating with varathane or something like that to keep it weather-resistant. It will then also be inside something else (I don't want to say what) for a bit more protection. This sounds cheap & durable to me; what do you think?

Router(no, not the networking device).

A common stage here is a matchsafe container with a piece of small diameter pvc pipe inside.

I did a Postpile multi on the Hillsburrough River that used those. I was quite impressed. Some, (all?) of the stages showed signs of having spent a considerable time underwater during the past flood, and one was even full of water. The coords on the PVC were quite legible. I fixed up a multi of mine using a similar method, substituting preforms for matchsafes.

I like using these copper plant tags. Very durable and after a while they develop a patina and are pretty camouflaged.

an101s1b.jpg

Also soda bottle preforms.

sm100a.jpg

Waterproof matchboxes (usually under a dollar at Walmart)

670_Olive_Drab_Matchbox_175_dt.jpg

How about some nice, big, friggin' Lock-n-Lock containers for stages of the multi? :laughing:

Always wondered why the game developed in a way that it's almost universal world-wide that stages of a multi-cache are "micros in the woods"???

Not to give them a plug, and I'm definitely not, seeing as I don't remember their name, but a vendor at Geowoodstock was selling what were essentially camo tags about the size of TB dog tags that you could zip tie to a tree. They were very well done, but not too much different I suppose than the plant tags Briansnat is mentioning.

How about some nice, big, friggin' Lock-n-Lock containers for stages of the multi? :laughing:

Always wondered why the game developed in a way that it's almost universal world-wide that stages of a multi-cache are "micros ...

Micros are cheaper, that's why.

I've used lock & locks, and find them not to be durable.

Bought in sets on sale at about $2 each, I'd call them them cheap, but they'll need to be replaced every 2 - 3 years (sub tropical environment, the seal fails, or if they get much sun, they'll break up. For the price, the matchsafe or preform option is cheaper and holds up better for simply housing stage coords, clues, or offset instructions. I've wanted to try the copper plant tags, but the initial investment is high.

I've owned a number of multicache where the stages where all ammo cans. Back in the day, when I was paying $3 for 30m cans, that was a cheap durable container. There are a number of multis with ammo can stages around here.

One of my oldest multi-cache uses flat stainless rod, the coords inked on it with an indelible marker (think surveyor stake). This is fabulous, but the rod was part of a bunch of can-line salvage laying around the property (from the demise of an orange juice packing company.) Great material, but pricey to buy retail.

Always wondered why the game developed in a way that it's almost universal world-wide that stages of a multi-cache are "micros ...

Micros are cheaper, that's why.

I've used lock & locks, and find them not to be durable.

Bought in sets on sale at about $2 each, I'd call them them cheap, but they'll need to be replaced every 2 - 3 years (sub tropical environment, the seal fails, or if they get much sun, they'll break up. For the price, the matchsafe or preform option is cheaper and holds up better for simply housing stage coords, clues, or offset instructions. I've wanted to try the copper plant tags, but the initial investment is high.

I've owned a number of multicache where the stages where all ammo cans. Back in the day, when I was paying $3 for 30m cans, that was a cheap durable container. There are a number of multis with ammo can stages around here.

One of my oldest multi-cache uses flat stainless rod, the coords inked on it with an indelible marker (think surveyor stake). This is fabulous, but the rod was part of a bunch of can-line salvage laying around the property (from the demise of an orange juice packing company.) Great material, but pricey to buy retail.

Interesting stuff, thanks for the perspective from an old-timer. :) It's pretty easy to trace the orgins of the multicache in my area, one guy did like the first 10 of them in 2002, and 2003 (then moved out of the area in 2003). All micro in the woods stages, usually matchstick containers. He also introduced the Bison Tube to our area. People were like amazed by them in 2003. :P

I admit to just responding to Snat, and not really reading the OP the first time. What I mentioned in my first post, aluminum tags specifically meant to be stages of multi caches were being sold at Geowoodstock. Anyone? They were quite inexpensive, compared to the $5 apiece dog tags the OP was thinking about.

I used film canisters. Inside I put the coordinates using small beads preprinted with numbers. They are available at most craft stores. I tied the beads together with strong fish line and used the same fish line to secure the film canisters to branches.

The beads are plastic and the numbers do not fade or bleed if they get wet.

I used film canisters. Inside I put the coordinates using small beads preprinted with numbers. They are available at most craft stores. I tied the beads together with strong fish line and used the same fish line to secure the film canisters to branches.

The beads are plastic and the numbers do not fade or bleed if they get wet.

AWESOME IDEA! B)

I like using these copper plant tags. Very durable and after a while they develop a patina and are pretty camouflaged.

an101s1b.jpg

Also soda bottle preforms.

sm100a.jpg

Waterproof matchboxes (usually under a dollar at Walmart)

670_Olive_Drab_Matchbox_175_dt.jpg

Always wondered why the game developed in a way that it's almost universal world-wide that stages of a multi-cache are "micros in the woods"???

Not to give them a plug, and I'm definitely not, seeing as I don't remember their name, but a vendor at Geowoodstock was selling what were essentially camo tags about the size of TB dog tags that you could zip tie to a tree. They were very well done, but not too much different I suppose than the plant tags Briansnat is mentioning.

I've noticed micros or very small containers as the interim stages of multis pretty much since I started caching. In fact I use them myself. My reason for doing it is so it doesn't cost me $25-$40 just for the containers for my multi caches.