Hiders with no finds

I happened to look up a cache owner's profile to discover she has been a geocacher for 7 years but has not found any caches and has actually hidden 110. It's been my state of mind that you need to have some caching experience before you start hiding caches. It bugs me when someone is introduced to caching but all they can think about is hiding them. I live in Los Angeles and am a urban cacher and have many times been angered by poorly placed caches with bad coordinates by newbies who don't know what they are doing. However, I have found some of the aforementioned lady's caches and there are no complaints about her hides even tho she has never found any. Makes me rethink my stance on newbies hiding them.

How do you know that she has no finds? She may have chosen to not log them online, or she may cache under a different name. There are probably other possibilities that I'm just not thinking of right now.

I would hardly consider somebody with 110 hides to be a newbie, by the way, regardless of how few finds they may have.

Edited by knowschad

I happened to look up a cache owner's profile to discover she has been a geocacher for 7 years but has not found any caches and has actually hidden 110. It's been my state of mind that you need to have some caching experience before you start hiding caches. It bugs me when someone is introduced to caching but all they can think about is hiding them. I live in Los Angeles and am a urban cacher and have many times been angered by poorly placed caches with bad coordinates by newbies who don't know what they are doing. However, I have found some of the aforementioned lady's caches and there are no complaints about her hides even tho she has never found any. Makes me rethink my stance on newbies hiding them.

Here ya' go. A non-online logger from my area with 49 hides I know the guy finds caches. I've seen his name in logbooks. He's attended an event, and I met him (only for a minute or two).

So don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about the middle school aged kid tossing a chinese fast food container with a slip of paper into some bushes just yet. :lol:

Some geocachers keep their hide account separate from their find account to make it more mysterious about who they are, and to insulate themselves from thin skinned cache owners who may not enjoy their honest find logs, or NA's.

They may also log finds under a team or family account, but place hides under a singular one to keep things organized.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

There is at least one cacher in my area that uses "Write a Note" to log his finds, he's a fairly prolific hider (Death From Below).

Interesting. I've always thought that the only (?) reason for doing it that way was refusal to participate in the numbers game. But this one has full-blown statistics on his profile, so that can't be it.

Edited by dfx

Um, that ain't no newbie. :blink:

Someone who got a free PM because of a commercial promotion, and is out placing caches within a week or so, that's a newbie.

There's a lot of reasons why the field for the cache owner's name does not reflect their caching experience/history. And you've gotten a couple of them already.

There is at least one cacher in my area that uses "Write a Note" to log his finds, he's a fairly prolific hider (Death From Below).

Interesting. I've always thought that the only (?) reason for doing it that way was refusal to participate in the numbers game. But this one has full-blown statistics on his profile, so that can't be it.

Profile in Question, You know I've never asked him. Personal preference I guess.

Profile in Question, You know I've never asked him. Personal preference I guess.

Based on his profile, he tracks his Finds via GSAK. Very curious. Really concerned about their privacy I guess?

Based on his profile, he tracks his Finds via GSAK. Very curious. Really concerned about their privacy I guess?

Not that I've noticed from meeting him. Maybe he used GSAK all along and when the built in stats came up he just opted out because he likes the GSAK ones better?

I'll have to ask him at the CITO in September.

Not that I've noticed from meeting him. Maybe he used GSAK all along and when the built in stats came up he just opted out because he likes the GSAK ones better?

I'll have to ask him at the CITO in September.

There is quite a bit of privicy there.

He only lists FTF's and milestone caches.

(And Fizzy puzzle caches, and the state challenge... But. Still only a small % of his finds)