looking for a particular cache

Saw it posted somewhere here. It's not in my area. It challenges cachers to write a 'liar log' about the arduous lengths they had to go to find the cache...uphill both way...the cache itself is a quick grab....there's a picture of a military guy on the cache page....and he calls people maggots. :laughing:

The reason being I just submitted a cache similar to it and it was rejected. I want the link so I can send it to appeals.

Thanks!

You might want to read over the Guidelines once again. B)

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

In particular, the fourth paragraph:

Please be advised that there is no precedent for placing geocaches. This means that the past publication of a similar geocache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the publication of a new geocache. If a geocache has been published and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it. However, if the geocache was placed prior to the date when a guideline was issued or updated, the geocache is likely to be grandfathered and allowed to stand as is.

Saw it posted somewhere here. It's not in my area. It challenges cachers to write a 'liar log' about the arduous lengths they had to go to find the cache...uphill both way...the cache itself is a quick grab....there's a picture of a military guy on the cache page....and he calls people maggots. :laughing:

The reason being I just submitted a cache similar to it and it was rejected. I want the link so I can send it to appeals.

Thanks!

Pup Patrol answered correctly. so-called Liar's Caches are considered ALR's (additional logging requirements) and are no longer allowed. You can, however, request that users log in a certain way, but you can no longer require it. Ask your reviewer what you can change to make it work.

I was going to say the ALR thing as well.

There are a few caches with "alr"s in our area (I've found some of your caches, op, I know we are neighbours) that state that logs that do not follow the "alr" will be "encrypted" as opposed to "deleted" perhaps our reviewer would prefer that?

Make the cache page a lie, by saying how the cache is so hard to get to, yadda yadda. Then in the actual cache, have a note on the lid/log, telling them that they should log it as a liars log or just log a TFTC. Just make sure not to actually delete the log if they don't follow the instructions in the cache.

Thanks!

This might be the one that you are looking for: GC2BDVK

Make the cache page a lie, by saying how the cache is so hard to get to, yadda yadda. Then in the actual cache, have a note on the lid/log, telling them that they should log it as a liars log or just log a TFTC. Just make sure not to actually delete the log if they don't follow the instructions in the cache.

That sounds like you are advising a sneak route around the Guidelines. You can't "instruct" the finders of a regular cache. You can "request" them to do something, but it's optional on their part.

Instructions are instructions, wherever they are posted, and not being honest on the cache page will be found out and reported eventually.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=309

3.1. Logging of All Physical Geocaches

This page is an extension of our Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines.

Physical geocaches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed. An exception is Challenge Caches, which may only be logged online after the challenge requirements have been met and documented to the cache owner's satisfaction.

For physical caches all logging requirements beyond finding the geocache and signing the log are considered additional logging requirements (ALRs) and must be optional. Cache finders can choose whether or not to attempt or accomplish such tasks. This is a guideline change that applies to all logs written since April 4, 2009. If you own an existing cache with mandatory additional logging requirements, we request that you:

1. Cease deleting logs based on ALRs.

2. Review your own cache listing to see if the ALR can be made into a simple, optional task, or whether it must be removed altogether.

3. Edit the text of your geocache listing and, if necessary, contact a reviewer to change the cache type.

Thanks!

Here are a few:

GC1823R

GC2HW49

GC2EAK5

GC2CR97

GC23WVC

GC1B5MH

GC13PGV

GCWJX5

GC2AGHK

GC1Q349 (AWESOME DESCRIPTION)

GCPW47 (HAD FUN DOING THIS ONE)

There are many "Liar Caches" out there but requiring some one to post a specific log or do a specific task is an ALR (Additional Logging Requirement) and have been banned for a year or 2 now

Yes. Tis true. If done properly ALRs could be fun! They moved from 'traditional' to 'unknown', to ridiculous, then were disallowed. Due to the abuse of ALR. If the CO wants a haiku, or a log using the name of a Honda vehicle, I will try to oblige. Ya want a photo of me with my favorite piece of the sculpture, I will oblige. But don't ask me on stand on my head, or sing BrianSnat's Geocachers Are We song. Liar's Caches were just a stupid abuse of the system.

I don't know why people hate on Liar caches. It isn't like people actually get the experience of doing a 5/5 cache. It is harmless fun, in a game full of harmless fun. If someone wants to brag about their stats, let them. We build our own stories when it comes to geocaching. In the end these only provide us with another smiley.

I don't know why people hate on Liar caches. It isn't like people actually get the experience of doing a 5/5 cache. It is harmless fun, in a game full of harmless fun. If someone wants to brag about their stats, let them. We build our own stories when it comes to geocaching. In the end these only provide us with another smiley.

I guess we don't want to go down that road of again of cachers driving hundreds of miles to have the experience of a lifetime, only to find once they get there, that the experience is beneath a lampskirt in a parking lot.

I am not a part of the first league of geocachers and so i may have missed out on some of that, but was there any of these kind of caches that actually tried to deceive the finder? All the ones that I have ever seen make it quite clear that they have an inflated rating, I would totally be against someone saying that it was a legitimate 5/5 and allowing those finding it to think that as well. I always thought that these were presented as a joke, or a stat fluffer.

I guess we don't want to go down that road of again of cachers driving hundreds of miles to have the experience of a lifetime, only to find once they get there, that the experience is beneath a lampskirt in a parking lot.

I was going to come up with a witty response saying that a lamp post could be an experience of a lifetime. I can't even say that with a straight face though.

Personally, I think challenge caches are just as stupid as ALR's. It's annoying when you're taking a trip 100 miles from your house, you only have a shot at three geocaches that are hidden in the parkling lot of the the Theme Park, and all of them have some crazy Challenge that you will never be able to do.

I hid a Liar's Cache (http://coord.info/GC2BDVK) about a year ago. If you visit the page, you'll find links to the previous five. I think there was a little bit of grandfathering, but the new ALR guidelines make it pretty clear that you can't REQUIRE anything special. And I went back and forth with my reviewer a few times, and had to add verbiage to the cache page indicating that these requirements were completely optional.

However, there are a lot of people that bookmark these because it's fun to read the log entries. And people that are too lazy to try to make up a story typically get a few nastygrams from the folks that are watching the action. :D

-Ron