Meeting cache owners

I found a cache hidden on the CO's property over the weekend. While I was there the CO popped out and we had a short but pleasent visit. I have met COs several times when hiking to a cache or when the cache was on their land. Have always enjoyed meeting them. How many of you fellow cachers have run into the CO at or near a cache? Whatt was your experience?

I found a cache hidden on the CO's property over the weekend. While I was there the CO popped out and we had a short but pleasent visit. I have met COs several times when hiking to a cache or when the cache was on their land. Have always enjoyed meeting them. How many of you fellow cachers have run into the CO at or near a cache? Whatt was your experience?

Actually onsite? Only once. I've met many cache owners on the trail looking for the most recently posted cache. Always a good time.

I was pre-dental appointment looking for a cache I hadn't found the last time I was in that town. And lo and behold some people popped out of nowhere and spooked me and it turned out to be the cache owner. Funnier yet was when we were talking another person drifted along looking for the cache and we met him too. It was actually a lot of fun. Met a cache's namesake at one point too. That was a lot of fun too.

It's always kind of fun meeting other cachers who just happen to be out somewhere or at least someone who knows what's going on.

All of my interactions with other cachers--100% of them. And that's pretty impressive. I've probably met between 15-20 "on the trail" during my year of caching, and I've also attended one social event. Enjoyed it immensely--I got to see all the faces of the people who placed great caches that I had found! How COOL is that!? :)

I don't recall ever running into the CO at a cache. As a CO though I have encountered a few geocachers at my caches. I hope they enjoyed our encounter because certainly did I did.

Every time I have met another cacher on the trail it has been a positive experience and I've never had a disagreeable encounter with another geocacher regardless of the circumstances (outside of this forum).

Edited by briansnat

I've met a few cache owners when they showed up to perform maintenance while I was searching for the cache. Another cache owner hosted an event at his home, and I found the cache in his front yard while I was there. But most of my encounters have been during maintenance visits.

My experience is like briansnat's... I often hike the trails where my caches are, and I occasionally encounter cachers on those trails. Always a pleasant experience.

I've run into other cachers in other woods, not cache owners, but people heading out after the same caches I've just found.

On one occasion, there was something of a mini-event in the middle of the Green Swamp, as a northbound hiking group of 4 cachers met a southbound group of 3, and the "all bushwhack all the time" cacher meandered over to join the conversation. There was a cache owner of some of the new hides in that group, come to think of it. One of the pleasanter "events" I've ever attended ;-)

I met a cache owner on-site when I was looking for this one cache for the second time. I thought he was just a muggle out for a jog. After signing and returning the cache, he congratulated me on my stealth, we chatted for a bit, and he was off to go hide another cache. It was a great experience!

Ive met a few people at my hides. I hide all of my caches within a mile of my house, so I usually get to see the FTFer. I find it best to meet COs at social events, when people are there just to talk. Sometimes I find that they seem to be in a hurry to leave when I stop to see them, "Cutting into their Caching Time" as one person said. All of my experiences have been humble and friendly though.

I also see people frequently when trying for FTF, because many other people try for that too. Once the FTF is found, then there is a lot less chance in running into someone.

Edited by brennan7

I've enjoyed meeting the COs. In one case, once we'd signed the log, Mrs CO and the kids came out to chat.

The only time it has been a bit awkward was hunting for a local cache that had just been published and the COs were excited pre-teens. They kept asking "do you want a hint?" and when another cacher joined in they were telling us we were close, even though we'd asked nicely to be allowed to find it ourselves.

Bless their hearts, they couldn't resist helping and we found the ballpoint pen cache...partly buried!