Destruction of cache site

Is there anything I can do about the destruction of a cache site? I wasn't there and didn't see who did it but I don't believe that it was muggles, I believe it was a cacher. I'm not going to leave the cache at the site, I'm going to archive it but wanted to know if there's anything that can or should be done about the fact that a person involved in a sport which is supposed to care for the environment has destroyed it. I'm really upset that someone could deliberately do that for the sake of an FTF. :sad::(

I have not had this experience personally. What type of site and hide was it? How was it destroyed? I don't doubt that occasionally a cacher might have some crazy motivation to destroy a cache, but I would say these incidents are few and far between. I mean, if he/she was the first to actually find the cache, why not be happy with the FTF? I mean, if it were the second to find...(just kiddinglaugh.gif )

The cache was tucked into some ivy covering a tree. The ivy was ripped away from the tree and left all over the ground. I found my cache in the middle of it all. Several trees nearby had ivy ripped from them too. I've found caches which have been tucked into ivy which is growing on trees but I didn't have to rip it all off just to find it.

Well, I guess you'll never really know who did it or why. Personally, I'd place another in the same location (or nearby area if the original is too badly destroyed). If it happens a second time, I'd forget it. If it doesn't happen, you're back in business!

Is there anything I can do about the destruction of a cache site? I wasn't there and didn't see who did it but I don't believe that it was muggles, I believe it was a cacher. I'm not going to leave the cache at the site, I'm going to archive it but wanted to know if there's anything that can or should be done about the fact that a person involved in a sport which is supposed to care for the environment has destroyed it. I'm really upset that someone could deliberately do that for the sake of an FTF. :sad::(

I have had to archive a cache because I felt the environment was suffering as a result of excessive searching, but that was a VERY difficult hide and it occurred over a couple of weeks as the result of several groups searching. Yours sounds a much more extreme example.

There is probably not much you can do about the damage that has already occurred, but I agree that you should archive it immediately to prevent further damage.

Caching was for some time a geeky hobby, and cachers may not have been typical of the general population. As it has become more accessible and mainstream, cachers have more and more come to represent a typical cross section of society. We might wish that all cachers had a concern for the environment, but regettably we would be fooling ourselves if we think that is the case - we now have the whole range from concerned environmentalists to those who don't give a toss. Seems like maybe you got one of the latter :mad: .

Rgds, Andy

Not knowing the cache area it's difficult to comment.

I've had a similar experience at the hands of well meaning conservation volunteers. The tree in question was a rather magnificent oak being smothered by thick ivy and they disturbed my cache in the process.

They did leave a very apologetic note in the logbook.

Ah! I see from the description that it's by a playground, perhaps it was ground maintenance staff from the council or whoever maintains the playground.

I personally know 4 out of the 5 DNFers and as the 5th was with one of the other 4 at the time, I think I can vouch for all of them as not being up to such tricks, in spite of Pip's FTF obsession!

Personally as a solo gent cacher I get quite uncomfortable looking for caches near playgrounds

"Mummy? What's that strange man doing in the bushes over there?"

and before you know it there's a small lynch party of parents! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Don't let it get you down, I think in this case it's coincidence rather than anything sinister.

Geocaching.com's guidelines state that "geocaches are placed so that the surrounding environment is safe from both intentional or unintentional harm.

So, you place a MICRO in an Ivy Covered Tree, that has other Ivy Covered Trees around...

It could have been the local youths 'passing the time' as they do.

One of the caches i did in leeds other weekend Coach Road 1.2 that was a micro hanging from an ivy covered tree with ivy covered trees all along the path. and it was taped in black so it was a very interesting cache as it required lots of careful searching and clever thinking....(i mean dad was looking above his head)(another newbie to caching) These are supposed to be nice places to walk and visit so i do hope that its not cachers that are wrecking the joint an gettin angry because they cant find the cache :(

i think its a bit harsh to blame it on a cacher straight away you would be suprised the caches that do get muggled some of them are very well hidden, but thats part of it im afraid its sounds like kids if they have pulled out ivy from other places too. a cache could be fine for years untill it gets muggled. before blaming people i would investigate further!

lmn

The cache was tucked into some ivy covering a tree.

FTF Fever!

Caused by poor quality cache placements of micro's in ivy covered trees. Why did you do that? Did it have to be a micro (they do have their places, but in an ivy covered tree is not one of them).

The slogan of the Geocachers Liberation Front ...

Every footbridge should have a regular underneath it.

Every hole in a tree should have a small inside it.

Every iron gate should have a nano hidden under the hinge.

And every ivy covered tree should have a camoflaged micro hidden deep inside the ivy.

Edited by drsolly

FTF Fever!

Caused by poor quality cache placements of micro's in ivy covered trees. Why did you do that? Did it have to be a micro (they do have their places, but in an ivy covered tree is not one of them).

And every ivy covered tree should have a camoflaged micro hidden deep inside the ivy.

I like it :)

I have seen a few sites that have been torn up, possibly not as badly as you mention - but when you get lots of different people visit the searching styles are bound to be different - as previously noted being a FTF on the line means there's a good chance that some will be more eager than usual....and then you have the interested muggles looking also. I usually tidy up after myself, but some sites are easy to spot due to disturbance.

On the very rare occasion I think there's a chance of sustained damage it'd be an email to a CO (not had to do this yet) and let them decide, if it was one of my hides I'd give serious thought to moving it - but as searching styles differ so hiding styles (and picking a location) will too - unfortunately if you hide it there's a risk that heavy handed/footed visitors will come at some point.

FTF Fever!

And it seems, round here, every dog-poo bin... :ph34r: