What Contact Info on Cache

foggybottomboers

When you hide a cache, do you put phone #, email, or etc. For the contact information?

I wouldn't put anything on there you're not comfortable having other people get, esp. a phone number. Email would probably suffice, with the geocaching.com URL.

I would never put my phone number on it. That's too much contact info. You never know who will stumble on your cache.

I'm probably much more lax about info than Groundspeak and law enforcement would like, and perhaps a bad example. When I have created the cache page before I place the physical cache, I will put the GC#, and perhaps the cache name and maybe my caching name in the logbook, sometimes on the container. Probably, the more the better, but sometimes I will hide the cache before I have that information, sometimes I am using camo that just doesn't really lend itself to labelling (its tough to write that small on those nano containers!).

When you hide a cache, do you put phone #, email, or etc. For the contact information?

I wouldn't put anything on there you're not comfortable having other people get, esp. a phone number. Email would probably suffice, with the geocaching.com URL.

They can email you through the geocaching.com site. I would not provide my phone # or email address any more than I would provide my home address.

I really don't see the harm in an email, especially if you have an account that you use for public signups on sites already (which is probably a good idea). I mean, it's not like its your social security number. If you're really concerned, get a free account just for geocaches.

There are ways to leave a phone number (for free) for contact and be totally anonymous. They just won't be toll free numbers. In this day an age I have no problem dialing any domestic phone number, from my cell phone, I have free long distance. There is one such free provider that even give you the option to send all incoming calls directly to voicemail, where the outgoing message could be a clue or a hint in a multi..But using these free phone numbers could if used wrong be considered commercial if they are the 'ONLY' way to finish a cache..IMO it would be similar to using a chirp, but any phone would work instead of say maybe just AT&T or Verizon.

They can email you through the geocaching.com site. I would not provide my phone # or email address any more than I would provide my home address.

Email. Set up a geocaching specific one for listing in caches.

Don't expect people to use the Groundspeak/Geocaching email, I think you have to register with the site to use it.

OK it's free to register, but it's easier to throw the stupid box away...

Email. Set up a geocaching specific one for listing in caches.

Don't expect people to use the Groundspeak/Geocaching email, I think you have to register with the site to use it.

OK it's free to register, but it's easier to throw the stupid box away...

I include my geocaching.com handle and my phone number. Like Bear and Ragged, I don't expect people to contact me via my geocaching.com handle. I provide my phone number because it's the easiest way for someone to contact me, and like Bear and Ragged, I want to make it easy. So far, my phone number hasn't been abused, and it has been used to contact me about issues that needed my attention.

Cachers can always find me through the link on the cache's page.

I used to be lax about it, just including an explanation note that listed this site and the cache name. But as times change I started to put contact information for noncachers - an email account separate from my normal account. For instance, if I place a cache in an area that has a general policy allowing caching I still want land managers or noncachers to be able to contact me in case there is a problem with that particular cache. So far, nobody has ever done that.

Edited by mulvaney

I am probably a little lax too: I include a laminated copy of the "You found it" page that explains geocaching, but I do not include personal contact information. Cachers can always find me through the link on the cache's page.

Yeah, I'm guilty too. None of my seven have any contact info available. As long as fellow geocachers are posting comments, I feel confident that I can be reached through the website by anyone who wants to. All of my caches are just a stone's throw from me and are attended to quickly when problems arise. However, I guess if a cache was found well away from it's original location and no one knew who it belonged to, finding the owner without info would be tough. I hope that doesn't happen.