The thing with new caches

kevke

I am currently laying a multi-cache and have to admit, that I find it difficult to do this

the right way. For example, is there a way to disable a cache (not archiving it) directly

after it is published?

Reason:

I am sure, that everything is in order, however, I am under the impression, that laying a

multicache in "live"mode does not make sense, before it has been published. Occuring problems

I encountered were that waypoints were to near to other waypoints of caches I didn't know about.

(For example "Premium-Onlys"). So I have layed a track twice and was asked by the reviewer to

find a differend location. So I gathered everything again and made a new one.

For the one that might ask, I was walking the track before (and for now the waypoints are in place),

and checked it for usability with two Beta-Testers (My Nephew[10] and my Brother [27]whom is not his

father, anyway)

So is there a practical way to disable a cache right after it has been published?

All I do, when setting up a any new cache, is UNtick the box with this written next to it: "Enable cache listing. It is ready for review. (If the listing is not yet ready to be reviewed, uncheck this box.) Note: Only 'Enabled' cache listings are visible to the reviewer."

That then lets you work on the listing, waypoints and attributes as much as you want until you are sure the cache is ready to be published.

When you are ready to go, tick the box and hit the "report new listing" button and the (now fully ready) listing is submitted to the reviewer. If clashes occur the cache wont be published and the reviewer will put the ball back in your court to fix it up.

Hope that helps as I too didn't really follow what you were asking.

Perhaps this thread better in the beginners section?

Also...

Yes, you can disable your geocache as soon as it is published - as soon as you receive the notification email of publication - but I don't understand why you would need to do so.

As soon as the cache is published the publication email will be received by all those keen cachers who have set up their notifications for new caches and some will leap into action to try and be the FTF. Even if you disable the cache very quickly after publication, it's unlikely that they will notice this has been done and they will arrive at the location ready to search.

MrsB

I took made a look-see at your home area -- I am guessing that is where you are trying to place your new multi, and I believe that I have found the problem.

The area looks to be over-saturated as it is, and you are trying to put out a multi..... Not to sound heartless, but there comes a point when perhaps it's best not to put out more.

Judging from the maps (Beta, Google and Bing) the public areas (obvious) are crowded with caches, parking lots and rights-of-way appear to have more than plenty of caches. While you may very well get away with putting out a traditional, you may have to locate your multi to a new area altogether.

That being said... In placing a good cache, the "fun" is in working out its' placement. Take your time, work with your reviewer. I'm not so sure that instantly disabling a newly published cache is the way to go. Once published, instant notifications are already sent and received. I am not so sure that you can disable it fast enough, or if you could, whether it would affect those notifications.

I took made a look-see at your home area -- I am guessing that is where you are trying to place your new multi, and I believe that I have found the problem.

The area looks to be over-saturated as it is, and you are trying to put out a multi..... Not to sound heartless, but there comes a point when perhaps it's best not to put out more.

forget it

Edited by bflentje

Unbelievable.

:blink:

I had to look for myself when I saw this comment.

Compared to where I live, the OP lives in a wide open area. There are 51 caches within a mile of my house (including two multi's), and almost 900 caches within 5 miles.

Edited by Ecylram

I am currently laying a multi-cache and have to admit, that I find it difficult to do this

the right way. For example, is there a way to disable a cache (not archiving it) directly

after it is published?

Reason:

I am sure, that everything is in order, however, I am under the impression, that laying a

multicache in "live"mode does not make sense, before it has been published. Occuring problems

I encountered were that waypoints were to near to other waypoints of caches I didn't know about.

(For example "Premium-Onlys"). So I have layed a track twice and was asked by the reviewer to

find a differend location. So I gathered everything again and made a new one.

For the one that might ask, I was walking the track before (and for now the waypoints are in place),

and checked it for usability with two Beta-Testers (My Nephew[10] and my Brother [27]whom is not his

father, anyway)

So is there a practical way to disable a cache right after it has been published?

What I believe this poster is trying to say is that he doesn't want to go to the trouble of puting all the segments of his cache out and in place, only to find that one or more segments is too close to an existing premium member cache or waypoint and then having to pick everything up and start over. :blink:

What I would do is contact the reviewer and reserve the necessary sites. The reviewer could then inform him of any problems before he actually places the segments. Upon recieving the OK he can then place the segments, and enable the cache.

What I would do is contact the reviewer and reserve the necessary sites. The reviewer could then inform him of any problems before he actually places the segments. Upon recieving the OK he can then place the segments, and enable the cache.

And in most cases the best way to do this is to create the listing with the additional waypoints for all of the stages so that the reviewer can assist with the saturation/proximity issues if there are any. Just be sure to post a reviewer note indicating that this is only a test and the cache isn't ready to be published.

Do what wimseyguy said, but don't even submit it yet. Just have all the waypoints listed, and send a friendly note to your reviewer, including the GC number of the cache you are working on, and ask if the waypoints are all ok. He/she can let you know which ones are ok, which not. Works around here, anyway.

Do what wimseyguy said, but don't even submit it yet. Just have all the waypoints listed, and send a friendly note to your reviewer, including the GC number of the cache you are working on, and ask if the waypoints are all ok. He/she can let you know which ones are ok, which not. Works around here, anyway.

Or get at least the important things like coordinates on the cache page, add a reviewer note that this is for checking only and don't publish and submit and skip the email. You'll get the info back and the reviewer does not have to go looking for the cache page, it is right there in the queue of caches to be checked.