trackable quest success rate

medwardl

I was wondering how the success rate of trackables was that had a specific mission. I was thinking about getting some and setting them up to reach a specific spot one I wanted to send over to the stone henge cache and back another I wanted to have visit a Shinto shrine in japan I think, I don't have a specific one in mind and come back. I wanted to have one go to the space station and back but I'm not sure on that one as i see the chances of it succeeding as minimal at best. I have other idea's as well but I don't want to waste the trackables if they don't stand much chance of accomplishing the mission.

Best results achieve those coins with the mission to travel. Cause honestly, I'm just happy, when they move and stay in circulation....

If the mission is to collect pictures, those are generally not followed. Cachers seem to be to lazy to load up some pictures or they don't take any, when out and about.

A few coins really managed to reach their goal and came to a certain destination, most are far off.

But as I said, as long as they are still traveling, I'm happy.

If the mission is to collect pictures, those are generally not followed. Cachers seem to be to lazy to load up some pictures or they don't take any, when out and about.

I agree with this. I had some picture taking missions and they were all near complete failures. I think that specific missions are mostly doomed to be ignored. All of my current missions are very general such as "visit China", "visit Japan", and "visit Antarctica". My experience is that it is easy to get a coin to Europe, but very difficult to get it to any other continent. Right now, I have a coin in Australia and a coin in China, but all of the rest are in Europe or North America.

My limited observation about caches in China is that they seem to be visited by Europeans and Americans, but not Chinese.

There is a cache on the space station? That's so cool. But with the Shuttle program winding down I wonder how easy it will be to get there, and if it does it may take a while to get back with so infrequent visitors. :P

I've a couple of coins that I did not expect to go far actually exceed any expectation I might have for travelers.... every mission I've set has been reached so I keep adding to them. But I suspect it's more the exception than the rule as many racers I've released didn't even go in the right direction... ever!!

If you want to release travelers I'd suggest you do so without ANY expectations. Give 'em missions as that often defines the character of the traveler but then let it do its own thing. You can be pleasantly surprised or scratch your head in bemusement at the tracks they lay. Have fun.

Good luck.

Edited by Droo

If you are giving your coin a mission of going someplace and then returning, please just put the first destination as the goal until it has reached it. Then you can change the mission to the return area. I have lost count of how many trackables I have picked up with goals listed as from XXX to YYY and back. The problem is, I have no idea when picking it up if it heading to XXX or returning to YYY without returning to the internet and reading pages of logs and studying the map--and even then it isn't always clear.

I think it depends on how specific your "specific mission" is. None of my travelers with very specific targets have reached their goals, but I only started sending them out half a year ago.

I decided to set different types of missions for my travelers:

* Some could travel anywhere, with missions to see flowers, trains, winter landscapes, etc (very easy)

* Some should travel travel only westwards, or travel as far as possible in 2011 and turn back towards home in 2012 (rather easy)

* Some should travel to a series of areas, i.e. all counties of Norway, all ex-Yugoslavian countries, all Olympic cities (quite easy - sub-goals are fulfilled almost every month)

* Some should travel to specific caches (rather hard)

* One TB tries to be in a specific city at a specific time. This is very hard, but it still has 9 months to move the last few hundred kilometers, so it might actually happen!

This way, I have some travelers that will succeed, and that people can help out, almost whatever happens. Others have tough missions that might never happen, but will be brilliant if they do.

I was holding a coin for over four month in order to fullfill its mission.

The coin belonged to a boy who loves anything Egypt and he wanted the coin to see the pyramids.

I picked it up just a week after booking our holidays at the Red Sea. So I offered the owner to either keep the coin till January, when I would travel to Egypt or to drop it close to the airport in Frankfurt, as I was picking up my friend there.

The owner told me to keep the coin and bring it myself, as that was an asured way to Egypt.

I did all sorts of travel during those four month and dropped the coin in several caches along the way. It had quite a few miles, till I brought it to the pyramids.

I met the owner at an event recently and they thanked me for making their godson so happy, as he was dancing around to see the pictures of the pyramids with his coin.

It is nice, to fullfill missions. But I can't help every coin and sometimes I transport them in the wrong direction. It happens.

If you have enough coins released, you kind of loose track of them and are just happy to get a log in now and then... ;)

Depends on the mission. I had a 2004 USA geocoin go across the US from New Jersey to California where my parents picked it up. "It's now my Buy Avroair a Beer and you can log this coin."

I hope to be able to log this coin... one day. When you coming to visit? :laughing:

I've found that courtesy goes a long way in keeping your item on track. When someone picks up my trackable, I email them and thank them for picking it up. I'll remind them of it's mission and ask that they give it ANY help....even just a few miles.

Next, I email them again and thank them once they've placed it. I will offer that they may want to add it to their watchlist to see if it meets it's goal. I'm still a relative newbie with only 1 year experience, but a lifetime has taught me that courtesy pays.

Good luck.