Leaving metal objects in caches

Hi folks,

I'm new to this game, and am really enjoying it. It's really fired up my kids imagination and they have really enjoyed it so far.

My one niggle, is that of the 5 caches I've found so far, all 5 had water ingress to varying degrees. I guess that's only to be expected since caches are subject to everything the weather has to throw at them, but it's disgusting to open a cache and find orange water swilling around in it because someone left a metalic item in there....

A damp cache is a shame, but one full of rusty water is a bit foul.

It's a shame, because the kids are disappointed, having selected toys to trade, they don't want to swap their stuff for something all manky and dirty...

Not that this will stop us cahing - far from it - I'm just curious if others have found this same problem??? Is there a general swell of opinion against leaving items that can rust??

Hi folks,

I'm new to this game, and am really enjoying it. It's really fired up my kids imagination and they have really enjoyed it so far.

My one niggle, is that of the 5 caches I've found so far, all 5 had water ingress to varying degrees. I guess that's only to be expected since caches are subject to everything the weather has to throw at them, but it's disgusting to open a cache and find orange water swilling around in it because someone left a metalic item in there....

A damp cache is a shame, but one full of rusty water is a bit foul.

It's a shame, because the kids are disappointed, having selected toys to trade, they don't want to swap their stuff for something all manky and dirty...

Not that this will stop us cahing - far from it - I'm just curious if others have found this same problem??? Is there a general swell of opinion against leaving items that can rust??

The problem isn't what in the cache but with what container was used for the cache. :surprise: There are some items listed that should not be left in a cache, food, knifes and other items but just because an item is made of metal doesn't mean it shouldn't be left in a cache.

Keep on caching with the kids but save you and your kids the heartache by looking for caches that are ammo cans. In wet areas nothing beats an ammo can :P or you could also get your kids some plastic fish which would love to go swiming in a cache. :laughing:

Is there a general swell of opinion against leaving items that can rust??

I've been surprised by what rusts or gets gross over time in a cache container. Even a sig item still in its ziplock bag, which gets rusty after 2 years inside a dry ammo can.

For most containers, water needs to stay out. So a do a Needs Maintenance "NM" log as well as the "Found It" log, to get it cleaned up.

Keep looking. They will find plenty of cool caches. Here's a tip when caching w/ kids...Sort your listing by date placed to get the newer caches then select regular size caches. It works fairly well. I like metal stuff myself because it is usually a non-toy item. Have fun and learn to use the sport to your enjoyment rather than trying to limit the sport to your preferences. :)

I have recently had a number of my caches with wet logs and soaked insides because people put them back "lid down." Lock-N-Lock, Tupperware and even film cannisters. It's a testament to the ability of water to intrude into a cache that water would just seep into the cache and actually accumulate. Sidenote: for a while I was using 1/2 PVC nipples with screw on ends as containers. When hung vertically, they leak...even fill with water...never expected that. Anyway...just ranting a little and warning people to keep the lids up so water doesn't leak through the seals.

We're in Oregon where it rains a LOT. So far we've found 16 caches (we only started April 1) and I think 15 have been wet. It's just wet all the time here. But for the most part, the contents are fine, just damp. Only one or two have been truly nasty inside. I guess we just expect it out here.

Rusty water isn't too bad. I've encountered much worse cache situations.

Me too. I found a cache that was part of a series of caches along the Susquehanna. Each cache contained a stamp and ink pad to be used with a log sheet available from a chamber of commerce site. Once 9 stamps were acquired you could turn it in for a custom geocoin created for the series. One of those caches was placed a bit too close to shore line of a river that tends to flood fairly often. A leaky container and an ink pad is not a good combination.

Rusty water isn't too bad. I've encountered much worse cache situations.

Me too. I found a cache that was part of a series of caches along the Susquehanna. Each cache contained a stamp and ink pad to be used with a log sheet available from a chamber of commerce site. Once 9 stamps were acquired you could turn it in for a custom geocoin created for the series. One of those caches was placed a bit too close to shore line of a river that tends to flood fairly often. A leaky container and an ink pad is not a good combination.

Believe it or not, a bar of soap, left in a leaky container for the winter and then the spring in Southern California, Is the absolute nastiest thing I have found while geocaching. It had dissolved to fill the bottom of the container, then grew a two inch cover of stinky mold.

all good comments - maybe my expectations of finding the majority of caches would be dry was simply way off the mark :lol:

We'll be doing regular geocache hunts whenever we can, and I also have a few ideas of where to create new ones - just need to find a good (cheap!) source of suitable containers....

all good comments - maybe my expectations of finding the majority of caches would be dry was simply way off the mark :lol:

We'll be doing regular geocache hunts whenever we can, and I also have a few ideas of where to create new ones - just need to find a good (cheap!) source of suitable containers....

... and that's it: "Cheap" containers are generally not very watertight.

The cheaper "click lock" sandwich box which you can buy in UK for about £0.99 in a "Cheapo" shop will not last as long as a similar "click lock" box costing £2.99 from a reputable supplier.

We found a cache recently in a decorative "vintage" tin. It made an attractive container but in 6 months time it'll be rusty and wet. It would have been better if the cache owner had kept it for use at home to store his caching supplies. :)

Don't get me started on the cachers who think that their chow mein container from last night's take-away will be great for their cache placement... :(

MrsB

P.S. I'm aware that by stating the above opinions I may have opened the floodgates to all those cachers whose tins have lasted bone dry for 5+ years and those who have had excellent results from the very cheapest sandwich boxes. :D

Edited by The Blorenges

When did watertight become a rule? In a natural environment it just ain't possible. Think of it this way, a orange water filled container will only make the next slightly soggy container seem all that much better. It's like art, it's in the eye of the beholder.

Not a rule but certainly an expectation.

I am proud that the vast majority of my caches have been out in the wild for many many years with zero issues with dampness or wetness. (Although I have had a few - always a container that wasn't right for the job).

It can be done - ammocans and real lock-n-locks hold up well until/unless damaged.

The overwhelming majority of caches I've found have been dry. I guess it depends on who is doing the hiding where you cache and what containers they use.

Living in Western Washington State I've also found my share of water-filled caches. It's definitely the container - all hail the mighty ammo can! The lock-n-locks are okay, but the rubber seal on those eventually fails too. Recently I found one in that state - and submerged inside was a strange whitish-orange lump. My curiousity got the best of me and after some investigation I discovered what must be the first known AA battery from the pleistocene epoch. Of course, I did not try to stuff it into my GPSr. :anitongue: This was not the first time I've seen a battery in a cache, either. Metal objects I don't really mind, but batteries? Left out in the elements? Come on, people...