Cross Listing Caches

As long as you don't put something like, "This cache is also listed on TheOtherSite.com" I don't think there's a problem. You can't promote a commercial site on a cache page (without prior permission from Groundspeak).

MrsB

Edited to add proviso. ;)

Edited by The Blorenges

I was thinking about cross listing my caches with another geocaching website so that geocaches from other sites do not come near my caches. Is doing this against geocaching.com policy? Will my caches be removed if I do this?

Currantly one of the other sites is flooded with GC imports. :D Some users are importing GC caches to the site that do not belong to them. :blink: Also it is being debated if importing listings should be allowed because of many issues and concerns with cross listed caches from this site. I'm sure that the other site would be glad to have your listings, because that is what the site is made of, GC imports. :lol:

I was thinking about cross listing my caches with another geocaching website so that geocaches from other sites do not come near my caches. Is doing this against geocaching.com policy? Will my caches be removed if I do this?

Currantly one of the other sites is flooded with GC imports. :D Some users are importing GC caches to the site that do not belong to them. :blink: Also it is being debated if importing listings should be allowed because of many issues and concerns with cross listed caches from this site. I'm sure that the other site would be glad to have your listings, because that is what the site is made of, GC imports. :lol:

I am not planning to touch anyone elses caches. Just mine.

I have never been a fan of cross listing caches. It seems pointless to me. As for defending your turf? Well that seems kinda selfish. Are you going to list on all the geocaching sites? How about the letterboxing sites? It's a big world. Lets of people on it. Let's all try to learn to play nice together.

People have been cross-listing caches for years, no? Long before the most recent upstart came into existence. :rolleyes:

Google "geocaching listing sites"...see what comes up. B)

Yepper, I think I cross-listed my first listing on Navicache in 2004. Nothing happened. No, I don't mean no one ever found it there, I mean nothing ever happened to me or my listing here. :ph34r: Yes, I agree with Mrs. B, don't go advertising it on your Geocaching.com web page, and you're fine. If you're talking about the website started by a major GPS manufacturer in December 2010, thousands of people have cross-listed their caches there, especially since you can do it with a GPX file upload.

... thousands of people have cross-listed their caches there, especially since you can do it with a GPX file upload.

Basically that site has become a marginally-functional mirror of this site, since over 95% of the caches there are cross-listed.

Hard to get excited about that. :back:

Consider what will happen if you cross-list, and then your cache on one site or the other gets archived, and you forget to archive it on the other site. You will leave a ghost cache there that doesn't really exist, but will continue to block future caches. Just something to keep in mind.

Consider what will happen if you cross-list, and then your cache on one site or the other gets archived, and you forget to archive it on the other site. You will leave a ghost cache there that doesn't really exist, but will continue to block future caches. Just something to keep in mind.

I'm sure the residents of the other sites are having serious saturation issues.

I'm sure the residents of the other sites are having serious saturation issues.

While it might not be a saturation issue for the other site it will be a problem for those who hunt a cache that isn't there.

I've noticed this phenomenon on another site. Owner posted a bunch of his caches to protect his locations. However, they didn't get any finds there and they eventually got forgotten. When he archived the caches on GC.com, he didn't disable/archive/whatever on the other site. They still list as active.

I don't see the advantage of cross listing, there isn't any traffic on the other sites to worry about. (For April, the prominent other site only had finds on 2.8% of their caches.)

I don't see the advantage of cross listing, there isn't any traffic on the other sites to worry about. (For April, the prominent other site only had finds on 2.8% of their caches.)

I'm willing to bet most of that statistic is from people "uploading" their find data.

There are many caches listed on this site where the CO has left the game that are blocking other users from placing a listing. I know of one in my area that has had NA posted on it three times. :ph34r: It causes some of the locals to be upset and they complain. A reviewer even updated the coords for the listing. :blink: I'm sure that many community caches are out there. Like the ones in South Africa that a user in New Zealand is listing on another site. Some don't want them, others will take anything that they can get to build the numbers on the listing site. :blink:

There are many caches listed on this site where the CO has left the game that are blocking other users from placing a listing. I know of one in my area that has had NA posted on it three times. :ph34r: It causes some of the locals to be upset and they complain. A reviewer even updated the coords for the listing. :blink: I'm sure that many community caches are out there. Like the ones in South Africa that a user in New Zealand is listing on another site. Some don't want them, others will take anything that they can get to build the numbers on the listing site. :blink:

Basically you are saying we should avoid the other site? I'm confused.

I would have no trouble communicating that to you if that was what I was saying. I was addressing the concern about blocking listings on this site. On the other site there is no restriction on how close a listing can be to a GC cache.

I would have no trouble communicating that to you if that was what I was saying. I was addressing the concern about blocking listings on this site. On the other site there is no restriction on how close a listing can be to a GC cache.

But if they allow someone to list another person's caches just to get more caches on their site, I think I'll stick to this one.

I don't think "community" caches are the problem that he is pointing out. Rather missing caches. That is caches that have been archived and removed here but the owner never bothers to update the alternate sites. You end up with people searching for long gone caches.

I've noticed this phenomenon on another site. Owner posted a bunch of his caches to protect his locations. However, they didn't get any finds there and they eventually got forgotten. When he archived the caches on GC.com, he didn't disable/archive/whatever on the other site. They still list as active.

This would be the Navicache phenonemon? People cross-list, never get any logs, and totally forget they ever listed them there. They are rarely disabled, or even archived, long after they are missing or long gone. Apologies to Garmin, but someone has already been there done that, and their track record isn't very good. :o

But if they allow someone to list another person's caches just to get more caches on their site, I think I'll stick to this one.

I enjoy both sites, but I don't agree with many things on either site. I don't care to vote no on a listing that I do not think is right on the other site. But remember that one of the debates over there is because a user that no longer lives in South Africa or maintains the listings that they have on this site is trying to import the listings to the other site. Now how can you have listings on this site in a Country that you don't live in and rely on others to maintain the caches? I would think that this site has guidelines that says you can't, but it is a numbers thing and both sites want as many as they can get, so they let it slide as long as the listings are active.

I enjoy both sites, but I don't agree with many things on either site. I don't care to vote no on a listing that I do not think is right on the other site. But remember that one of the debates over there is because a user that no longer lives in South Africa or maintains the listings that they have on this site is trying to import the listings to the other site. Now how can you have listings on this site in a Country that you don't live in and rely on others to maintain the caches? I would think that this site has guidelines that says you can't, but it is a numbers thing and both sites want as many as they can get, so they let it slide as long as the listings are active.

Someone on this site has caches in South Africa but lives somewhere else? I didn't think that was allowed.

Someone on this site has caches in South Africa but lives somewhere else? I didn't think that was allowed.

Neither did I, but it is true. That is what has caused some disagreement on the other site where there is a thread about it. The CO explains it all now after the first wave of listings were published. Many of us voted against allowing the caches to be imported to the other site because of maintaince issues, and some of us thought the listings were vacation caches.

You are granting geocaching.com permission to list your cache, you own the cache, not the other way around. Its your cache, you are free to do what you want with it.

Any other view of this would create serious legal issues, and even a certain level of liability, for Groundspeak/geocaching.com.

List away on as many sites as you want.

Basically that site has become a marginally-functional mirror of this site, since over 95% of the caches there are cross-listed.

Care to offer proof with real numbers or are you just trying to spread fud?

Within 100 miles of me, looking at all the caches on the site you are referring to, only 20% are cross-listed, no where near the 95% you are suggesting. Most of the caches are original to that site and are not listed on gc.com.

The vacation cache guideline has not always been in place. There are quite a few old virtuals owned by cache owners living in different countries. I've found caches by one of them in Zimbabwe and China. Earth caches are also listed on this site and I know a couple of cachers that have fairly recently listed ECs here that are far from home. I have also noticed that in some countries with very few caches that reviewers tend to be a lot more lenient in regards to a maintenance plan. I saw one the other day where the CO wrote in the cache listing that they didn't visit the area often and ask for help maintaining the cache. The first log was a DNF after the owners of the golf course where the cache was placed chased off the seeker of the cache.

Care to offer proof with real numbers or are you just trying to spread fud?

Within 100 miles of me, looking at all the caches on the site you are referring to, only 20% are cross-listed, no where near the 95% you are suggesting. Most of the caches are original to that site and are not listed on gc.com.

I'd love to see those statistics!! I doubt there's an easy way to find out though. Definitely a regional thing for you, for sure. There isn't a non-cross listed cache on the Garmin site within 100 miles of me (and there's probably 200 of them). On the other hand, the other opencaching site (not related to Garmin) has over 20 unique non-cross listed caches with 50 miles of me. A regional thing for me too, of course.

I checked to see how many OC caches are within 100 miles of me. There are 30. They are ALL crosslisted GC.com caches.

I think I'll stay with geocaching.com.

I agree. I put a cache on OC.us exclusively and it sat for 4 months without a FTF. I was trying to give it the benefit of the doubt but just got tired of waiting so I archived it there and put it on GC.com. With in a day or so it was found and has been found many times since. I really have not been back to that site. The last time I did a search there was one cache listed in like a 100 mile area of my home.

I guess cross listing is a good way of keeping saturation of caches down but if you only use one site then really you don't have to worry about it. Plus the OC site put the coordinates out with out you having to log in which I believe will lead to more caches being stolen.

Edited by Team_Searchgeo

I checked to see how many OC caches are within 100 miles of me. There are 30. They are ALL crosslisted GC.com caches.

I think I'll stay with geocaching.com.

I agree. I put a cache on OC.us exclusively and it sat for 4 months without a FTF. I was trying to give it the benefit of the doubt but just got tired of waiting so I archived it there and put it on GC.com. With in a day or so it was found and has been found many times since. I really have not been back to that site. The last time I did a search there was one cache listed in like a 100 mile area of my home.

I guess cross listing is a good way of keeping saturation of caches down but if you only use one site then really you don't have to worry about it.

Sorry to hear about that. I'm a big supporter of that site, and it's the one I'm talking about when I say there are over 20 unique within 50 miles of me. I'll tell them to get on that one. <_< Oops, I'd better say something on topic, and that other opencaching site accepts cross-listings but strongly discourages it. Terracaching.com has never accepted cross-listings, but I've seen several dozen of them over the years that have been.

That might not be a bad idea if you were to lose sleep over that kind of thang.

To address some of the other posts:

My S.A.T. joke: Other cache listing sites are to geocaching.com as A) A grain of sand to a sandbox B ) A mosquito to an 800 pound gorilla C) A brick to the Empire State Building D) All of the above.

From my perspective the answer is B. A gorilla could easily swat a mosquito, but why would it bother? No cache listing site has ever had the mojo to inspire its users to create a unique database that would rival the Frog's kingdom enough to lay siege to its walls. (Yes, I'm feeling very metaphorical this morning.) :anibad::laughing:

I have joined every cache listing site that has come down the pike (except pirate caching) and from my experience, they mostly degenerate to disgruntled GC users club and they ALL (the users) either find their way back here or leave the game entirely.

Don't get me wrong though. Competition is a GOOD thang. If only the gorilla would WAKE UP from the mutual admiration society that it fosters and see that the users of all those other sites really LOVE locationless caches and realize that Waymarking isn't working for folks that concentrate their efforts on geocaching. :mellow:

Edited by Snoogans

My S.A.T. joke: Other cache listing sites are to geocaching.com as A) A grain of sand to a sandbox B ) A mosquito to an 800 pound gorilla C) A brick to the Empire State Building D) All of the above.

From my perspective the answer is B. A gorilla could easily swat a mosquito, but why would it bother? No cache listing site has ever had the mojo to inspire its users to create a unique database that would rival the Frog's kingdom enough to lay siege to its walls. (Yes, I'm feeling very metaphorical this morning.) :anibad::laughing:

I have joined every cache listing site that has come down the pike (except pirate caching) and from my experience, they mostly degenerate to disgruntled GC users club and they ALL (the users) either find their way back here or leave the game entirely.

Don't get me wrong though. Competition is a GOOD thang. If only the gorilla would WAKE UP from the mutual admiration society that it fosters and see that the users of all those other sites really LOVE locationless caches and realize that Waymarking isn't working for folks that concentrate their efforts on geocaching. :mellow:

Dang, I was sure you actually did join Pirate Caching. Degenerate to a disgruntled GC users club? I don't see any hatin' going on at the one I previously mentioned I "strongly support". There has been some hatin' at Terracaching.com, but not too bad. Navicache, I really don't consider serious any more. Garmin, I think there might be some hatin' going on there. :lol: Just my personal opinion though. :o

Dang, I was sure you actually did join Pirate Caching. Degenerate to a disgruntled GC users club? I don't see any hatin' going on at the one I previously mentioned I "strongly support". There has been some hatin' at Terracaching.com, but not too bad. Navicache, I really don't consider serious any more. Garmin, I think there might be some hatin' going on there. :lol: Just my personal opinion though. :o

Arrg! Pirate Caching? Is that a site where they import other users active listings from here to their site like they do on OutlawCaching.com? :lol:

Arrg! Pirate Caching? Is that a site where they import other users active listings from here to their site like they do on OutlawCaching.com? :lol:

No. I've heard rumors of people importing other people's caches to Garmin, but has that really actually happened?

I think some whack-job really did start a pirate caching site (i.e. stealing people's Geocaches) in like 2005 or something. I'm sure someone remembers. :blink:

No. I've heard rumors of people importing other people's caches to Garmin, but has that really actually happened?

I think some whack-job really did start a pirate caching site (i.e. stealing people's Geocaches) in like 2005 or something. I'm sure someone remembers. :blink:

That's true. I believe it was 2004. I don't know which jackwagon actually started the domain, but I can guess. Breaktrack and I were unwitting witnesses to the conspiracy being hatched in the old private forums and I still remember a couple of the co-conspirators. If they are still around, they are hiding under new usernames. :rolleyes:

Jeremy lodged a complaint with their ISP and it went buh-bye in a matter of days. :laughing:

Edited by Snoogans

That's true. I believe it was 2004. I don't know which jackwagon actually started the domain, but I can guess. Breaktrack and I were unwitting witnesses to the conspiracy being hatched in the old private forums and I still remember a couple of the co-conspirators. If they are still around, they are hiding under new usernames. :rolleyes:

Jeremy lodged a complaint with their ISP and it went buh-bye in a matter of days. :laughing:

I found this.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=58677

I found this.

Where the heck was I when that thread was goin' on? I musta been on the road. I would have sooo torn into one of the "conspirators" on that thread. The 2 I had in mind are right there. One is permanently banned, but the other looks like he still checks in from time to time under his real username even though he doesn't cache with it.

I found this.

Interesting link. And nice to see many posts in it by banned Jomarac5. Ironically enough, he's still around at another website that has a lot of cross-listed caches. See, this stuff all ties in together. I am on topic. :ph34r:

I know this thread is about cross-listing geocaches, but it is also fact that a banned member on this site is cross-listing active listings from here to the other site, claiming that they are their listings of listings that belong to a group or team. :D This has became an issue in the review process on the other site, but some seem to be OK with this pratice. :blink: Some listings have been published over there, and some did not pass review, and some are currantly being reviewed. I would be upset to find one of my active listings published on another site unless I approved it first. :mad:

I know this thread is about cross-listing geocaches, but it is also fact that a banned member on this site is cross-listing active listings from here to the other site, claiming that they are their listings of listings that belong to a group or team. :D This has became an issue in the review process on the other site, but some seem to be OK with this pratice. :blink: Some listings have been published over there, and some did not pass review, and some are currantly being reviewed. I would be upset to find one of my active listings published on another site unless I approved it first. :mad:

I haven't thought through it, but why should I mind if my cache was listed somewhere else? I may get one or two names on my physical log that are not logged at GC, but other than that?

I haven't thought through it, but why should I mind if my cache was listed somewhere else? I may get one or two names on my physical log that are not logged at GC, but other than that?

I have a few listings that hikers find by accident and write notes in the log book, which is fine. :rolleyes: Maybe some users don't have an issue with having their cache listed on another site by someone else as theirs that they are to maintain? :blink: If someone were to list one of my active caches on another site as theirs without my concent, yes, I would have issues with it. :mad:

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

I have a few listings that hikers find by accident and write notes in the log book. Maybe some users don't have an issue with it? If someone were to list one of my active caches on another site as theirs without my concent, yes, I would have issues with it.

I understand having issues w/ it(it would be a lame practice), but I am interested in any real negatives that could affect the cache or issues that may confuse cachers.

Well, assuming that people from the other site were actually finding my cache, because someone else listed it, I would expect my maintenance schedule to be accelerated.

I'm curious, if a cache from here listed in OP.com by why of a GPX upload, do the description and hints transfer?

I would hate to see a cacher create a generic listing over there using a container that is active on this site, and not noting special circumstances regarding the placement.

If someone were to list one of my active caches on another site as theirs without my concent, yes, I would have issues with it. :mad:

List them yourself. If you're not planning on listing them there, why care?

Because the cache is my property. Would you want the guy down the street telling passer-bys that it's okay to picnic on your lawn?

If someone were to list one of my active caches on another site as theirs without my concent, yes, I would have issues with it. :mad:

Because the cache is my property. Would you want the guy down the street telling passer-bys that it's okay to picnic on your lawn?

But it's not real property, it's tupperware, or a steel box or a film canister. I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to determine if this is a real problem.

It's not the same as picnicing on your lawn. Everyone keeps saying they put caches out to be found.

The only real issue I can think of would be some possible extra maintenance.

I definitely wouldn't be concerned about it unless I wanted to list it myself. Doesn't seem like anyone is using the other sites.

Mine are listed there. :D Can I list yours there too? :lol: Maybe this is just an issue for geocachers that own and maintain listings? :anibad:

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters