Collector of ancient GPS ?

My husband says our GPS is one of the very first hand held devices ...

a Magellan GPS Pioneer

Needless to say it is past it's best and having waited over an hour for it to find and lose one satellite I've told him that we need a new one - Amazon here I come!

But it did occur to me that there might be collectors out there for some of the very early models?

If you would like this, just let me know!

A frustrated, new to geocaching, Helen

My husband says our GPS is one of the very first hand held devices ...

a Magellan GPS Pioneer

Needless to say it is past it's best and having waited over an hour for it to find and lose one satellite I've told him that we need a new one - Amazon here I come!

But it did occur to me that there might be collectors out there for some of the very early models?

If you would like this, just let me know!

A frustrated, new to geocaching, Helen

I've got a Magellan meridian I used for a couple of years until it stopped working at the stroke of midnight, Jan 1st 2000. I'm open to offers, if anybody wants it for a collection ;) LOL

It's funny how people hold on to old technology. I still have and old Apple II (in a box, not in use lol). Even though it's not worth anything I wouldn't give it up.

Well, if it still works, why not? And a handheld GPS isn't like an obsolete computer that has to be setup to be used and take up a good amount of space. My old circa '96 Lowrance still works and gets accuracy under 30 feet. It could still definitely be used for navigation. It's just that the graphics SUCK, the interface is SLOOW and it eats batteries. Doesn't hold a signal indoors very well, either. LOL

Interesting to see that there are others of you with ancient machines. The Magellan is taking an hour to find one satellite ... otherwise it's pretty much like SVIKING was describing! LOL!

We've got the 'standard starter model' Garmin Etrex on the way from Amazon and in the meantime we've done an Earthcache and are trying to find a couple by mapreading alone!

Helen

Interesting to see that there are others of you with ancient machines. The Magellan is taking an hour to find one satellite ... otherwise it's pretty much like SVIKING was describing! LOL!

I remember my first GPS was Lawrence car navigation model. It didn't take and hour but realalisticly took 10 minutes to find a signal. I used to go out to my car every morning 10 min. early to plug it in before I left. It also didn't have a battery or do voice commands. What a piece of junk it was, oh and it also cost $600 at the time. I thought I was getting a deal too lol.

The Magellan Pioneer wasn't the first hand-held GPS by a long shot, but was billed as the first GPS under $100. I rushed out and paid my $99 and promptly learned that it DOES NOT save anything when the batteries go dead. Sheesh.......

I have an ancient marine grade (swivel mountable, but convertible to hand-held) that I bought in about '91 or '92. That rascal was $800!!!!! But it pointed me to West End, Bahamas and got me over and back, so I was tickled.

Now who is it collecting these things??????

80971551-8f71-4ac5-ba5a-234cf1aa7f49.jpg

I still have my first navigational device, a Tamaya MS-833. Accuracy was better than +/- 0.5 miles on a good day after 20 minutes of observations, sight reduction calculations, and plotting lines of position. On the plus side, no batteries! Now people complain if their GPS accuracy isn't less than +/- 10 feet. :rolleyes:

80971551-8f71-4ac5-ba5a-234cf1aa7f49.jpg

I still have my first navigational device, a Tamaya MS-833. Accuracy was better than +/- 0.5 miles on a good day after 20 minutes of observations, sight reduction calculations, and plotting lines of position. On the plus side, no batteries! Now people complain if their GPS accuracy isn't less than +/- 10 feet. :rolleyes:

Celestial nav...yuk. Haven't done (or even needed) it since my Naval Academy days. Nothing like an "oh shyte" moment when you screw up on a test and get a capital letter "I" for a fix instead of a small triangle. LOL

It's funny how people hold on to old technology. I still have and old Apple II (in a box, not in use lol). Even though it's not worth anything I wouldn't give it up.

If I'm not mistaken, an Apple II + the square monitor sold for about $200.000 somewhere about 1 year ago.

It made me sick because I just trashed mine about 9 years ago.

I still have my Gps75 +- 1993

Edited by splashy

If I'm not mistaken, an Apple II + the square monitor sold for about $200.000 somewhere about 1 year ago.

It made me sick because I just trashed mine about 9 years ago.

I still have my Gps75 +- 1993

Maybe an Apple I or first gen II. I looked on eBay a year ago for my model as the going rate was $50 I working condition.

I gave a presentation at Stanford's Honors Symposium in May 2011 about how Pyramids & Stonehenge's are Ancient GPS devices. I am writing a book that also talks about how 360 degrees originated from the Pyramid of Giza and how the mile is based on the diameter of the Earth or 7 Pyramids of Giza in length. Here are my links if you are interested...

http://www.indiegogo.com/AncientGPS/x/1908918

http://www.indiegogo.com/AncientGPS/x/1908918?c=activity

I've got a Magellan meridian I used for a couple of years until it stopped working at the stroke of midnight, Jan 1st 2000. I'm open to offers, if anybody wants it for a collection ;) LOL

I think you're mistaken about the model or the timing. The Magellan Map330 (first handheld GPS I owned) wasn't even introduced until fall of 2000 (source) and the SporTrak and Meridian models were even later.

Still have my Magellan 4000 XL, which my dad gave me in 1998 or so.

magellanOld.jpg

I found my first 2 or 3 caches with it, although there was a lot of luck involved also, and tons of searching - 70 foot accuracy after about a 1/3 hour of searching for satellites leaves a lot to be desired.

LOL I did my first caches on the same unit.. almost threw it off the escarpment one day as it lost signal every 30 seconds or less....

DD

Still have my Magellan 4000 XL, which my dad gave me in 1998 or so.

magellanOld.jpg

I found my first 2 or 3 caches with it, although there was a lot of luck involved also, and tons of searching - 70 foot accuracy after about a 1/3 hour of searching for satellites leaves a lot to be desired.

I've got three of those kicking around somewhere. One day they'll be worth something. At least I hope so.

I gather the old Atari 2600 games console can change hands for a surprising amount. I've seen them for sale for ~£100. I've got one of those about but haven't played it in years. It's the kind of thing I often want to show teenagers as an example of what was considered cutting edge when I was their age.