Recognition for Oregon 450

When I connect my Oregon 450 to the computer it seems to take an abnormally long time for the computer to recognize it. As in almost a minute. It recognizes my other device, a Garmin 76csx instantly. Any ideas? I'm beginning to worry it won't recognize the Oregon at all. I'm using Windows Vista.

Edited by yorelken

If it's any comfort, the older Oregons take a heck of a long time before the computer recognizes it as a USB MSC device too. Some days it takes 15 seconds, others a couple of minutes.

Edit to add : I have the same issue with the Nuvis as well. And for some strange reason, a cable that worked with my 660 will not work with my 755.

Edited by Chrysalides

I was under the belief, possibly mistaken, that since the Oregon, Nuvi, etc. are implemented as USB Mass Storage Class, they should not require any drivers.

Garmin also includes this little nugget in their release note : "Simplified user interface. Drivers were not updated."

Having said all that, it should not do any harm even if it is not used, so I'll install it and observe. Thanks.

Aren't the drivers only for USB devices that are NOT connected as "mass storage" devices? The latter is standard and supported by any common OS without any additional drivers. Other units (like my eTrex) are not connected as mass storage devices, and require their own drivers such that applications can find and talk to them.

Aren't the drivers only for USB devices that are NOT connected as "mass storage" devices?

That was my belief as well, but I don't know enough about Garmin's USB implementation to say either way. Perhaps robertlipe can help enlighten - he appears to know much about the deep dark mysteries of Garmin's USB implementation [:)] All I know is that Garmin's USB implementation seems to have way more problems than any other USB devices I've used.