Claiming a Spot

KBLAST

I have big plans for a group of caches (5 or 6) that I want to release all at once because they will be related and have a bonus final cache. All of the caches will take some time to set up and are in pretty cool places where I was surprised there wasn't a cache there already. My concern is that I will start putting all of my work into it (one is a night cache with lots of firetacks, for instance) and will be in the process of finishing my cache when someone comes along and drops a pill bottle near my new GZ and writes, "This spot needed a cache, so I grabbed one and threw it under this light post." :( Is there anything I can do?

you can write up the cache page with the coordinates but not make it active, so it will not get in the reviewer queue but they will be able to see that something is there

that way if anyone else wants to put something too close the reviewer will ask you if you still wish to put something there

kinda of like a "reserved" spot

Edited by t4e

Depends on how much time you need. If you need like six months to a year, i would go place some pill bottles and put out some lame caches. when you feel that they have run their course (or when your other cachess are ready to go) you can archive them and introduce the rockin' ones that you are hoping for. But you didn't hear that from me!

I have big plans for a group of caches (5 or 6) that I want to release all at once because they will be related and have a bonus final cache. All of the caches will take some time to set up and are in pretty cool places where I was surprised there wasn't a cache there already. My concern is that I will start putting all of my work into it (one is a night cache with lots of firetacks, for instance) and will be in the process of finishing my cache when someone comes along and drops a pill bottle near my new GZ and writes, "This spot needed a cache, so I grabbed one and threw it under this light post." :( Is there anything I can do?

Contact your local reviewer and let them know what you intend to do. Give them all the relevant coordinates and the timeline when you expect to have everything in places. Many reviewers will try accommodate situations like this. However, don't expect a reviewer to make a judgment on the "coolness" of your cache as a determination on whether or not to hold a spot. Instead of assuming that someone might throw down an LPC, perhaps someone else has constructed an elaborate puzzle and wants to use the same area for a finale (if there are a lot of puzzle/multi caches in the area, there may already *be* a cache at that location).

The point is, cache reviewers should not be in a position of reviewing cache quality, only that the cache meets all the guidelines.

WhiLee t4e is right you shouldn't dally. If a conflict arises with someone else who wants the spot the reviewer will give youa deadline

the deadline is a month, at least in my area, if you can't place it in a month its fair game to to give up the spot

WhiLee t4e is right you shouldn't dally. If a conflict arises with someone else who wants the spot the reviewer will give youa deadline

the deadline is a month, at least in my area, if you can't place it in a month its fair game to to give up the spot

It's not carved in stone. If you have a good reason most reviewers will let you string it out for a while. Say for instance a park system is dragging their feet with permission. If it's just "I haven't gotten around to it yet", then yes, the reviewer will probably tell you to get around to it or give up the spot.

It's not carved in stone. If you have a good reason most reviewers will let you string it out for a while. Say for instance a park system is dragging their feet with permission. If it's just "I haven't gotten around to it yet", then yes, the reviewer will probably tell you to get around to it or give up the spot.

someone in my area holding the spot for 9 months has been given a month to either use it or loose it, so i'm holding it as a rule of thumb :anibad: