Pocket Knives

Hi all!

I've carried a simple swiss army knife whilst out walking ever since my dad first bought me one to go camping with. Back then, I used it for the sole purpose of making toasting forks; as I never really camp any more (and when I do fires are usually prohibited) this happy pastime has fallen away. I've owned three knives in my time, and aside from occasional tweezer usage they've never really served any other purpose. So, what knives do you carry whilst hiking, and what exactly do you use them for?

Edited by Monkeymox

Well, I don't really hike per se, but I always have a Swiss Army Super Tinker model (Victorinox brand) on me at all times. Aside from the obvious knife functions, I've always preferred the Tinker models because they have regular and Philips screwdrivers, both of which I've found useful. I recently upgraded to the Super Tinker because it also has scissors (the scissors get used for trimming my nails, mostly :) )

Tweezers are good for extracting logs from tiny little nano containers when caching.

Knives? Or did you mean "everything" tools?

Being old-fashioned, I still carry my Case XX medium stockman -- for the last 35 yrs, anyway.

Camping, backpacking, fishing trips (not local fishing dates) and "other times" it is also accompanied by a Cold Steel Bushmaster, in carbon. It does ANYTHING the Case won't! :lol:

Being old-fashioned, I still carry my Case XX medium stockman -- for the last 35 yrs, anyway.

Camping, backpacking, fishing trips (not local fishing dates) and "other times" it is also accompanied by a Cold Steel Bushmaster, in carbon. It does ANYTHING the Case won't! :lol:

I'm more interested in the knife component and exactly what uses people put them to. I carry mine with a vauge sense that I might need it one day, but I can't immagine what for :P

I keep a Case XX Light weight black XX Changer in my bag. It comes with 4 interchangeable blades.

Locking Clip blade - Nice pointy blade for making cuts

Locking Fillet Blade - Just as the name suggests. Good blade for cutting up dinner

Locking Saw Blade - Never know when you might need a saw.

Locking Drop Point Blade - Good for carving

I also carry a folding saw. It comes in handy after a heavy storm to help clear the trail of fallen trees.

I always have a basic lock blade knife on my. For Christmas my parents sent me a cheap pocket sized multi tool with a nice check. The straight knife and serrated knife are crap on it. But the pliers, screw drivers and small LED flashlight have come in handy often. You never know when a good knife or multi tool will come in handy. The needle nose pliers on the multi tool come in handy removing logs from Nanos.

Hi all!

I've carried a simple swiss army knife whilst out walking ever since my dad first bought me one to go camping with. Back then, I used it for the sole purpose of making toasting forks; as I never really camp any more (and when I do fires are usually prohibited) this happy pastime has fallen away. I've owned three knives in my time, and aside from occasional tweezer usage they've never really served any other purpose. So, what knives do you carry whilst hiking, and what exactly do you use them for?

Knives are good for shaving the wood for starting tinder. Fires are prohibited you say, but this does not preclude making an emergency signal fire. Knives are useful for numerous things including cutting a piece of rope to help tie off that tent corner or adding another food sack to the rope on the branch. Cutting strips of clothing for emergency bandaging... Without it, you're hard pressed to use it when you need it.

I usually carry a multi-tool Buck and I'll be darned if I can find where it is right now. It bugs the heck out of me. I also carry a pocket knife and have another locking blade in my fire making kit along with another locking knife in the shoulder strap pouch.

I'm more interested in the knife component and exactly what uses people put them to. I carry mine with a vauge sense that I might need it one day, but I can't immagine what for :P

Really? I rarely go through a day that I DON'T use my knife at least a couple of times....:)

Really? I rarely go through a day that I DON'T use my knife at least a couple of times....:)

Perhaps I'm not extreme enough in my activities :P I never really walk for more than nine hours and I don't camp (although I plan on doing so this summer). Maybe I'll find out how useful it is when I step up my game :D

I always carry a multi-tool. I use it very often for all kinds of odd jobs incl. handling pots and lids over the fireplace when I´m on a trip.

When camping or hiking I also carry a Glock 78 Field Knife. The knife is used for everything from eating, shaving sparks from my magnesium rod to cutting and splitting wood.

Tweezers, scissors and similar I pack in my first aid kit.

I also carry a foldable saw and a machete where and when needed.

I've carried a Swiss Army knife on my keychain for 20 plus years. While camping I've used it as a can opener, to cut rope, to make tent stakes (when I forgot to bring them), to cut moleskin, to chop garlic, to cut meat, to stir cooking food, and probably dozens of other things that I can't recall.

When not camping I've used it to cut fishing line, remove fish hooks, cut rope, open wine and beer bottles, as a screwdriver, to clean my pipe, to cut paper, clip nails and stray nose hairs and a gazillion other things.

I don't know what I'd do without it. I probably use it several times a week. Over 20+ years that's a lot of use.

Edited by briansnat

I've carried a Buck Prince every day. I use it to open the mail, boxes and parcels and cut the tape on new purchases when I get them home. It comes in handy to clean under finger nails. good for opening stuborn packages of peperoni and cheese as well. cutting the odd guyline or rope. Dressing the game althtough it's a little small for skinning deer it probably could be done if need be. My opinion is don't waste a lot of money on something if you don't use it after all walmart sells a knife for a dollar if you really just have to have one. Don't spen a lot of money on some fancy sharpener to get that shaving edge it never seems to be used for that anyway. for about 3-5 dollars you can put some stropping compound on the rough side of your leather belt and be good to go for a lifetime of touch ups. If by chance you need to take a small nick out of the plade just use the bottom of one of those ceramic coffe cups at the local diner just be discrete about it you don't want to alarm the locals. Maybe you should ask the waitress if it okay first on second thought. Or maybe just do that at home with your own cup if need be. I find multi tools to weigh to much for what they do. And for the most part they don't do any of what they do all that well. Even though it's more bulky I swear you could throw a kershaw folding saw, a Mora knive, an a pair of small needle nose vice grips from the dollar store and they would all weigh less than that darn leatherman that I just had to have, and they'll do what they are suppose to do and do it well. But as for most things the little 2 inch knife will do. JMO of course.

My caching bag has a new(ish) Gerber multitool. One of the small to medium sized ones with a couple of blades, screwdriver, and (of course) plyers.

I used to carry a Gerber knife with a blade about 2.2" long but forgot I had it in my pocket at the airport on my way home last year =(

Didn't have time to step out and mail it to myself so had to drop it into that sad, sad, sad container of contraband. Thankfully it was on sale so I didn't lose too much $.

I plan to get the exact same knife before my next camping trip.

I don't see how you could go hiking or camping without a knife. Just doesn't seem right ;)

There are two types of people in this world: one type carries a practical knife :rolleyes: while the other type usually tries to borrow a knife :unsure: .

A good knife is an amazing tool in the right hands. Here's a few tasks I've used a knife for over the years:

Cut rope; remove splinter; gut fish; sharpen stick; carving for fun; open food packet; open can after tab broke; fix stove; fix boot; cut steak; cut vegetables; cut bandage from a tee shirt; remove battery from GPS; make a fuzz stick; use to prop open a book on a windy day; and more.

I'm at a point in life where I can own about any knife that catches my attention. However, my favorites are as follows:

Boy Scout Knife by Camillus: Blade, Bottle Opener / Flat Head Screwdriver, Punch, Can opener, and Phillips screwdriver. Camillus went out of business, and that's a shame. But if you find one of these knifes, I'd recommend picking one up.

Folding Hunter 110 by Buck: Single blade lockback. My 35 year old Buck was stolen out of my vehcile last year, and I am really bummed about that :( . I truly hope the person that took my Buck dies a slow, painful death, only after watching his spouse die the same slow death, and extend that to his kids if he was able to spawn any with his ugly wife. Anyway, I've obtained a replacement Buck Folding Hunter 110 of the same vintage, but it's just not the same thing as having my old one.

Deer Skinner: I recently made, from a blank of steel, a sheath knife that falls into the category of "Eastern Skinner" or "Deer Skinner." I used the stock removal method to shape the knife (using only hand files), hardened, tempered, and annealed it in my Barbeque, a tub of oil, and then the oven, and added a set of oak slab scales with brass rivets. The sheath was hand made from leather from Tandy Leather. Overall, it's "Americana," but sort of nice to carry knowing I made it. This is the second fix blade knife I've made, and it was much better than the first, so I'm looking forward to making the next one. I did buy a hand crank grinder to help with the next one, so maybe I can get it done in less than 40 hours! My goal has been to use basic tools only, and eventually work my way up to something like a KMG belt grinder, but that's a ways off as I really want to learn the ropes by doing it the old fashioned way.

Edited by Jeepergeo

Well first of all I own several knives. The one i carry most is an 8 inch blade buck knife. Yes it is a bit overkill but i like the versatility it has a very strong thick blade heavy tang and an edge that holds well but is not such a hard metal that you cant (with resonable effort) return a sharp edge to the blade.

The uses have been many i used it a 6 months ago to clean a trout i caught on a "survival" camping trip. I used it a few months ago to pick a thorn out of my leg. Yesterday i used it to open a can of spaghetti O's... (great caching snack)

I recently picked up a new knife for hiking, an ESEE-6 from Randal Adventures using their military purchase program. These guys teach jungle survival and they make knives with that in mind. I went out this weekend in the rain to practice some firecraft, and it’s been raining most of the week, so everything is damp. A knife that you can baton with and split open large sticks to get to the dry wood inside is essential. This is one tough knife.

New:

K2.png

Used:

ESEEFire3.png

Edited by Criminal

I use my Gerber "Suspension" multi tool. At work, and at play. I mostly use the pliers, regular sized blade, philips and mini slot screwdrivers, and the friction blade (saw).

When camping, I also have a Gerber flat rock river knife, used for cooking and utility knife. I use a smaller SOG pocket blade just for menial cutting.

Hmmm. At work I use the multi tool, a razor utility fold up, a thick bladed multi use blade (locks in the sheath), and a credit card blade in the wallet ...

At play, I use the tool, pocket knife, river blade, credit card blade, and maybe a round nosed kayak blade.

I need to get more knives :laughing:

The suspension has now been named the Legend

https://www.gerbergear.com/Industrial/Tools/MP800_48239

The pocket looks similar to this:

https://www.gerbergear.com/Tactical/Knives/Answer-F.A.S.T.-XL_31-000581

The river knife:

https://www.gerbergear.com/Outdoor/Knives/Big-Rock-Knife_22-41589

The work utility knife:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=54871&cat=1,51222&ap=1

I picked up a couple new knives for testing. The ESEE-6 is great, but it's too big for lightweight hiking and backpacking, so I added a -3MIL and a -4 to the collection:

3Ka.png

3Kc.png

3Kb.png

Criminal my friend, I don't know you, but you have a fine taste in fixed blades - IMHO :) . The ESEE knives feature everything I admire in a good fixed blade ~ drop point blade, full tang, micarta handles, & proven carbon steel (1095) - An honest working knife.

If you haven't done so, you should probaly check out the IZULA 2 - can be carried in your pocket, among other carry options.

John

I have carried a pocket knife ever since I was a kid. Yes, in the small school I went to it was allowed for kids to carry a knife to school back in the 50's. I know times have changed and I don't believe always for the better. Now I carry two knives daily. I carry a Puma three blade stockman that I have been using for about 15 years and a Leatherman tool on my belt. Now since I retired I could probably stop carrying the Leatherman but it so much of part of my normal dress I wouldn't feel right without it on my belt.

I agree with a statement made above that there are two kinds of people in this world. Some who carry a pocket knife and others who always want to borrow it.

Texas Charles

The only real reason I have pants with pockets is so that one of them holds my Swiss Army Tinker. I instinctively feel for it when I leave every day. Higher on my totem pole than car keys, cell phone or wallet. Feel nekked without a pocket knife. Have carried one every days since (except when going on a plane and the TSA Gestapo).

My first pocket knife was a gift from the boy scouts 40 years ago. A Camillus BS knife. A thief stole the worn out sucker when I was 17. Since then the SA Tinker has been my top choice. I've worn out/broken/lost about 7 of them, I think.

Uses...clean fingernails (little blade)remove screws, clean critters who've sacrificed thier bodies for my consumption, whittle, scrape paint, work tinder for a fire, peel/pare fruit/veggies, debur soft metals, fish micro logs, etc, etc....

Been eyeballing one of those Mora carbon knives from Sweden. I hear they are dandies as far as straight blades go.

Like some of the others, I have carried a pocket knife daily for over 30 years. Yes, this includes a little penknife I carried in high school. Currently, I carry a Benchmade Ritter Mini-grip with a yellow handle in my pocket on the trail. The blade is made of S30V so it gets sharp and stays sharp. This is used for general cutting. I also carry a Benchmade 7 hook on my pack for emergency needs since it can be used to cut away material like jeans or leather without the risk of cutting flesh. If I think I might need a fix blade on the trail I have a Benchmade 155SBK (not necessarily your typical trail knife). This is big enough to handle any cutting chore and can also be used as a small machete or to split kindling. Can you tell I like Benchmade knives?

I'm funny about carrying stuff in my pockets. I simply don't like to. I can't even carry a wallet. It bugs me.

This might sound stupid but I keep my wallet in my car when I'm out and about and only bring it with me if I am on a mission to buy something. Hence, I have never carried a pocket knife of any kind. Yep, I guess I'm one of those guys who asks, "Anyone got a knife?" Now, this is only because I am in a profession where I don't need a knife. When I am hiking, YES, I carry a knife. Mainly for protection though. The one I carry can also do many other things suited for my personal hikes. But, if I need to stick it in someone, or something it won't disappoint.

It depends on what you want to do with a knife which will determine what kind you buy/carry. I honestly don't think there is one knife for every task. Each has it's own purpose. A simple multi-tool pocket knife I think is a personal preference which I never got into. If I feel the need to turn a screw, open a bottle or anything else I would already have a tool that is meant for that job close at hand. If not, life goes on. In all my 43 years it really hasn't been an issue.

I don't wear jewlery or even a watch! I don't like anything on me, or in my pockets. I feel it's simply not necessary. Again, when I hike or I'm on a mission I then gear up but in the modern world I live in everything else is close at hand when I need it.

I know, I'm weird. But unique.... :ph34r:

BTW, when I hike my knife is attached to my belt for quick access.

Victorinox Officer(Spartan) occasionally...but anymore I usually only carry my Leatherman Wave always. Though I will start carrying my Victorinox Officer again for the tweezers for logs.

My Officer is the nylon handle version so it doesn't crack as easy if dropped. Need to get tweezers replaced for my Victorinox Classic and throw it on my geocaching lanyard.

Edited by C.A. Duke