To replace, or not to replace

With recent bad weather in Scotland I receive alot of maintenance logs advising the log book is soggy. When going out caching, I take a selection of spare lock n locks and log books. If I come across a soggy log book ill place a new one and notify if possible. If its not possible to leave both, what about the concept of replacing it, taking the old one and notifying the owner? Im more than happy to pay the cost of an envelope and stamp to send it to them. It has to be miles better than a few dozen being out of action as a small group of owners get round a large number of their caches of which someone has been and gone. Its all just a small gesture to keep it all moving. What are your thoughts, as cachers and cache owners?

With recent bad weather in Scotland I receive alot of maintenance logs advising the log book is soggy. When going out caching, I take a selection of spare lock n locks and log books. If I come across a soggy log book ill place a new one and notify if possible. If its not possible to leave both, what about the concept of replacing it, taking the old one and notifying the owner? Im more than happy to pay the cost of an envelope and stamp to send it to them. It has to be miles better than a few dozen being out of action as a small group of owners get round a large number of their caches of which someone has been and gone. Its all just a small gesture to keep it all moving. What are your thoughts, as cachers and cache owners?

Personally, I think that sounds awesome!

I think cache owners should use much more water resistant containers.

also...

I will never take a log from a cache without permission of the owner. However, if there is room, I'll add a new one. I'll even give my best shot at drying out the old log if I have the time and can and it isn't already moldy. At any rate, you should always offer to mail the old log(s) to the owner.

Some owners much perfer to take care of maintenance issues themselves.

Multiple tracks to this problem...

One) is that some CO's prefer to do it themselves;

Two) yours is a good idea and very helpful to others;

Three) a dry log replacing a wet log soon becomes a wet log. Yes, you could supply a Lock & Lock, but then, you are "enabling" that CO into doing nothing. After all, it IS his/her responsibility, is it not? If they use a less-than-adequate container, they should do the legwork to keep it functional. Otherwise, it probably should be archived to make room for a good cache.

Just my two pence worth.

A good point about enabling a do nothing attitude. Around here, most caches have been placed by only 3 or 4 cachers. I got my first stash of containers for placing just before the snow fell and since in disappeared have not had any time for placements and caching. Seeing the gigantic task of maintaining 30 or 40 or more caches lending a polite helping hand could be useful during this time. 6 weeks of sitting submerged in snow when this rarely happens is the cause of alot of these soggy caches: usually the containers will be just fine in most normal weather for here. But certainly, a log would always be returned to the owner and if need be, to the cache itself for the co to pick up. Never had this though. With the number of problems here right now, its received a welcome reception. Beats someone posting blunt comments about a lazy co as the log hasnt been replaced within a week.

If the cache is very remote OR I know the CO to be good about maint, I'll gladly help when I'm there and able. If I catch wind of a CO who is more careless, then I generally won't help w/ the container but will gladly replace a ziplock baggie to keep the log dry. It all depends on the situation, but I do 'get' the enablement aspect people refer to above.

If a cache is bad and will likely stay bad, there is value in accelerating it's archival (not actively of course, I'd never sabotage/destroy a cache). If the cache goes away, that means that better COs can plant a new cache nearby.

I would put a folded up piece of 8.5x11" paper. Then I'd post a NM and let the CO know the logbook is full and I left a sheet of paper. That should give the CO plenty of time to get out to the cache and replace the log (probably a good month worth of time).

I once had someone inadvertently take one of my small caches and then email me with an offer to snail mail it. He couldn't go back to replace it. I was weary about giving a stranger my address so I told him thanks for the offer but I'd replace it with a new container and logbook.

I like Lil Devil's idea, if you do take the logbook scan the logbook and post it on a log entry.

As a cache owner I'd rather you log a needs maintenance and let me take care of it. I'm particular about my logbooks.

I replaced the log in a micro once, because it was waterlogged. I dried it out but it was covered in mildew and gross so I photo's both sides and posted it with my log entry. It was a replacement log left by someoen else anyway because the CO wasnt doing any maintenance.

I note another thread on the same subject has opened up. I think there would be some good practice rules available on this:

1) plastic baggy a couple of sheets of paper and log NM as a first priority.

2) if unable to fit both, leave if you cannot return quickly to the site to replace co log if required.

3) if possible, ask first

4) if not be prepared to assist in getting digital copies or original over to co or return at their request

5) dont repeatedly do this for negligent co

6) always ensure you still log your NM

I really need to start putting more thought into spare logs. It just always slips my mind when planning a geocaching trip. I'm sure though that any cache owner would be more than thankful for a replaced log. Some people hide caches a long ways from home and saving them a trip out to a remote cache location. It's crazy how water finds its way into anything lol

I don't take spares when I go caching, but its something I will start to do now I think. As a camper I always take spares and help people out if they need it as someone did this for us once and saved our camping trip.

I think a litte bit of kindness goes a long way, as long as you can keep the CO informed in case they want to replace with their own logs etc I think it a really good idea.