Lock & Locks On Sale

Thanks for the heads up. JC Penney often has these on sale and this seems to be the standard sale price you can find most times. Occasionally they have a super sale or you can use a 20% coupon and I think the cheapest I haves seen these sets there is $18.88. Best deal around!! Load up! :anibad:

??? Pictures

This is the set I usually get.

I prefer the square containers. They tend to be easier to hide.

I've used both, and I think I prefer the sizes of the round set better. But like I said...either works for me.

I have used both the round and square and I think both work great as long as they are not too big.

The square set is 8 containers, the round is 10. I too slightly prefer the square to hide, but mostly I'm putting these guys out as swag, so for the $, I get the round.

A few years ago someone posted a link to a site that was selling a small round (1/3 Cup) lock and lock for $1.

I bought 20, and then reconsidered and bought 80 more..... I thought that would be a life-time supply. :P

I shoulda bought 300. I'd still be out of them, but my "life-time" would have been longer.

Is it just me or does anyone else think it's stupid that they advertise it as a 20 piece set because it contains 10 containers and 10 lids? I'd consider that a 10 piece set :rolleyes: .

I bought an 8 container set of knock-off Lock-N-Locks ("Knock-N-Locks"? :) ) at the local dollar store for $8.00. Not sure how they'll hold up compared to the "real" Lock-N-Locks but they seem essentially the same. Filled one with water, sealed it, and tried to get it to leak and nothing came out, so it seems like the seal holds just fine.

Edited by Chief301

Is it just me or does anyone else think it's stupid that they advertise it as a 20 piece set because it contains 10 containers and 10 lids? I'd consider that a 10 piece set :rolleyes: .

I bought an 8 container set of knock-off Lock-N-Locks ("Knock-N-Locks"? :) ) at the local dollar store for $8.00. Not sure how they'll hold up compared to the "real" Lock-N-Locks but they seem essentially the same. Filled one with water, sealed it, and tried to get it to leak and nothing came out, so it seems like the seal holds just fine.

I have used some of the knock-offs, and they have not fared as well out in the wild for me. The tabs seem to break more frequently.

I have used some of the knock-offs, and they have not fared as well out in the wild for me. The tabs seem to break more frequently.

I have bought "Snap-Lok" sets from Costco. I've had some out for years with food results, although the tabs have cracked on some of the ones at home that I actually use for food. (Probably from the dishwasher.)

Sometimes I put camo duct tape on the hinges which I think helps them last.

FWIW, I don't think I've ever seen any set of anything that doesn't count each item as a "piece." Container, lid, trivet, whatever...

We use some at home for food storage (a novel idea, I know :rolleyes: ) and have had them in service for more than a year and the tabs hold up fine. I know they get flexed WAY more in our kitchen use than they will in the wild as cache containers...not a very busy caching community around here, caches get found once or twice a month on average, at least judging from the logs in our local area.

I bought a set of them a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't actually released them into the wild yet. I have only two hides yet, an ammo can and a match safe, but my next one will probably be one of the locking containers. I also camoed it with Krylon Fusion paint, think this will help with UV breakdown?

Filled one with water, sealed it, and tried to get it to leak and nothing came out, so it seems like the seal holds just fine.

Not a good test. Put some tissue paper inside, seal it, and arrange to hold it under water for a couple of hours. For a small container this could involve a pot and a brick; larger ones perhaps bathtub and a couple of bricks. Take it out, dry it off, open it. If the tissue is wet, or even a tiny bit damp, the container will not keep water out in the wild.

Also, check the material -- it should be stamped on the bottom. Brand lock-n-locks are polypropylene (PP, or 5), which resists sunlight quite well. Cheaper ones may be LDPE (low density polyethylene), like Tupperware, and won't hold up in the sun.

Edward

I placed an order with jcp.com for a set. I found a coupon online that gave me some additional discount so it came up to about $18+ after taxes. I ordered the "20 piece" set and chose store pick-up. I did not create an account and chose to check out as guest.

I never received an email confirmation. Called them up a couple of days later, to check if my order went through (forgot to print out the confirmation page). I was told they will email me the invoice but never received it (yes, I checked my spam folder). A few more days later, noticed that my credit card was charged. Gave it another two days, then called, and was told the package was ready for pickup. Again, no email.

Pickup was fairly smooth. The items arrived in a fairly battered looking generic brown box instead of fancy packaging, to my surprise, but the containers are all in there and in perfect condition.

Overall, not a very smooth shopping experience, but nothing really bad happened. I wonder if they would have called me eventually if I did not go pick it up. Lesson learned : I'd be sure to print out the order confirmation next time.

Now I have a new problem : where to hide them...

Edited by Chrysalides

There have been many discussions about the knock-offs. Basically they will work if done properly out of the sun and away from water but the Lock n Lock brand out performs them in almost every instance.

the tabs will still snap off after so many uses regardless of where its hid.

In my experience, the round ones wear out faster. I don't know if it's because the hinge thingies are smaller or what, but they seem to snap off sooner than the square ones.

With the square ones, you can't help aligning the tabs to the hinges. With the round lids you have to pay more attention to make sure they align properly, or you'll be placing extra stress on the hinges. I also notice that I need to hold the lid down after fastening one side to make sure the opposite side closes easily.

In my experience, the round ones wear out faster. I don't know if it's because the hinge thingies are smaller or what, but they seem to snap off sooner than the square ones.

With the square ones, you can't help aligning the tabs to the hinges. With the round lids you have to pay more attention to make sure they align properly, or you'll be placing extra stress on the hinges. I also notice that I need to hold the lid down after fastening one side to make sure the opposite side closes easily.

This is true.

Filled one with water, sealed it, and tried to get it to leak and nothing came out, so it seems like the seal holds just fine.

Not a good test. Put some tissue paper inside, seal it, and arrange to hold it under water for a couple of hours. For a small container this could involve a pot and a brick; larger ones perhaps bathtub and a couple of bricks. Take it out, dry it off, open it. If the tissue is wet, or even a tiny bit damp, the container will not keep water out in the wild.

Also, check the material -- it should be stamped on the bottom. Brand lock-n-locks are polypropylene (PP, or 5), which resists sunlight quite well. Cheaper ones may be LDPE (low density polyethylene), like Tupperware, and won't hold up in the sun.

Edward

Even that is not a great test. I've had containers that passed the underwater test with flying colors and failed miserably in the wild. Water pressure tends to push down on the lid and can create a better seal that the container would have outdoors. A better test is the shower test. Place it in the shower in a variety of positions, altering hot and cold water to mimic the expansion and contraction the container will experience outdoors.

Edward

Even that is not a great test. I've had containers that passed the underwater test with flying colors and failed miserably in the wild. Water pressure tends to push down on the lid and can create a better seal that the container would have outdoors. A better test is the shower test. Place it in the shower in a variety of positions, altering hot and cold water to mimic the expansion and contraction the container will experience outdoors.

Agreed - containers I thought were OK after full immersion test fail after a few hours of a gentle drip in a sink.