How long does it usually take to post a new hide

I am wondering how long does it usually take for a new hide to be posted? My son-in-law Murph3 did a new hide over in the park by my house when we got into town from California. This was hide on March 13, 2011 at around 2:30PM and the information about the hide and the details have yet to be posted. He is also a premium member and his information has not been posted 2 days later???? Can anyone help with this question?????

Thanks

Doodles08

The Geocaching Reviewers are all Volunteer and they state in the information guide, when filling out the online form, to allow 72 hours (3 days) from the time you submit the cache for review. Sometimes it can take less, but if this is his 1st cache placement, he should expect the review to take 3 days.

Hides don't just automatically get posted when you submit them, they have to be reviewed by an actual person, approved, and published. The reviewers are volunteers and probably get dozens, if not hundreds, of new hides to review every week. (I know the reviewer who is responsible for my area in Louisiana actually lives in Georgia, which tells me he is probably responsible for reviewing a VERY large swath if the Southeast US).

Have a little patience, I wouldn't expect a cache to be published in 2 days. The reviewers do have jobs, and lives. I'd give it about a week.

When he goes to the cache page, does it say that it's pending a review. When creating a new cache there is a check box that actually submits it to a reviewer. I forget if you check it or uncheck it, but without doing it, it's not sent to the reviewer. He might also check the cache page to see if there is a reviewer not asking for more information or something.

I've had a cache published within 30 minutes of submitting it. It's normally within 24 hours here but it has also taken several days.

Edited by luckycharmer

Also how do I find out who my reviewer is in my area and how can you become a volunteer to help out. This is not his first hide. He has hid several in the California area and within just a few hours it was posted. This is his first hide in the Texas area and it also looks like in the Dallas Fort Worth area cachers are slowing down and not hiding new stuff in the area.

When he goes to the cache page, does it say that it's pending a review. When creating a new cache there is a check box that actually submits it to a reviewer. I forget if you check it or uncheck it, but without doing it, it's not sent to the reviewer. He might also check the cache page to see if there is a reviewer not asking for more information or something.

I've had a cache published within 30 minutes of submitting it. It's normally within 24 hours here but it has also taken several days.

Also how do I find out who my reviewer is in my area and how can you become a volunteer to help out. This is not his first hide. He has hid several in the California area and within just a few hours it was posted. This is his first hide in the Texas area and it also looks like in the Dallas Fort Worth area cachers are slowing down and not hiding new stuff in the area.

Yes it shows pending a review so that is why I am asking how long it takes for it to post. This is in the Mesquite, Tx area.

Then all he needs to do is sit and wait. 2 days isn't unusual in a lot of places. If the local reviewer gets busy or heads out on vacation, another reviewer will step in but they still have their own area so it could take longer especially if the new one in in a higher volumn area.

That might be part of the delay too. The reviewer may have some concerns about a hider who is obviously active in California suddenly submitting a hide in Texas (maintenance issues).

Plus, they tend to be a little more laid back in Texas than in California... :-)

Does he need to just inform them that he is here on vacation visiting his family and we did make a find at every stop off we made between california and texas. I was actually out there the week before on vacation and then the kids decided to drive me back instead of having me fly home they wanted to come here for a few weeks and see the family.

That might be part of the delay too. The reviewer may have some concerns about a hider who is obviously active in California suddenly submitting a hide in Texas (maintenance issues).

Plus, they tend to be a little more laid back in Texas than in California... :-)

Does he need to just inform them that he is here on vacation visiting his family and we did make a find at every stop off we made between california and texas. I was actually out there the week before on vacation and then the kids decided to drive me back instead of having me fly home they wanted to come here for a few weeks and see the family.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY

If the owner of a cache does not live in the immediate area of the cache, then the reviewer wants to know how the cache will be maintained. Who will do log replacements or go out and check to see if it's missing. This information can be placed as a not to the reviewer on the cache page.

If the owner of a cache does not live in the immediate area of the cache, then the reviewer wants to know how the cache will be maintained. Who will do log replacements or go out and check to see if it's missing. This information can be placed as a not to the reviewer on the cache page.

I am a geo cacher also and will maintain his hide for him till he moves back it is with in 1/4 mile from my house does he need to explain this to them???

Not to be the forum police.... but this really isn't the correct venue for this question. This should have been posted in the general forum.

Beside that point, I would say that the reviewer will probably get to it as quickly as possible (outside of what is happening in their life). Remember, the reviewers are volunteering their time. Some reviewers will look over newly proposed caches during the weekend... while others will during the week.

If it's not his first hide, then he should be well aware of the review process.

He should also be familiar with the process of determining the local reviewer.

The Knowledge Books are an excellent resource:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=1

Edited by Pup Patrol

Thanks everyon that replied you have given me great help to get is hide posted. I will let him know to send the information along to the poster that doodles08 will maintain and up keep his hide.

The best advice I've read on this thread is to be patient.

You have submitted the cache to be reviewed and it is now in the queue.

Every revision made to the cache listing while it is in the queue only resubmits it to the end of the queue. If you have been changing and adding to it you are actually delaying it's getting to the reviewer.

Be patient and let the process unfold the way it's built to do so. Contacting the reviewer will only slow the process down as they have to answer questions about why they are not reviewing faster while distracted from their reviewing duties. If there is something wrong with the listing YOU (or whoever the cache owner is) will hear about it directly from the reviewer. THEN you should have his/her attention to figure what to do to make is publishable. But if you haven't heard anything yet just wait and let them get to it.

Edited by Droo

Every revision made to the cache listing while it is in the queue only resubmits it to the end of the queue. If you have been changing and adding to it you are actually delaying it's getting to the reviewer.

That isn't true. Once enabled it is placed into the queue and stays. No matter how much you continue to make edit changes.

Does he need to just inform them that he is here on vacation visiting his family and we did make a find at every stop off we made between california and texas.

Are you saying that he dropped caches all along his route from CA to TX? Otherwise, this is completely out of context and has no bearing on pending reviews.

If he dropped caches along the route, the reviewer for each area will have to review the caches that fall under their jurisdictions, and it's quite likely that they won't as they might be considered "vacation caches" or otherwise not maintainable by the CO because he lives too far away.

Edited by dakboy

I am a geo cacher also and will maintain his hide for him till he moves back it is with in 1/4 mile from my house does he need to explain this to them???

When ever you place a cache away from your home area you must state how it is going to be maintained. I'm pretty sure it even says that somewhere in the listing process.

And it has been suggested by someone else that you might have posted multiple threads on this? (I don't know if this is true or not, and certainly there was no comment by a moderator that multiple threads had been merged so I'm not too sure about this..) but just in case, only ever post a topic once, never in multiple times in different places. That's a written or unwritten rule of every forum everywhere.

Edited by keewee

That isn't true. Once enabled it is placed into the queue and stays. No matter how much you continue to make edit changes.

Maybe so but I was told that by a reviewer.

Does he need to just inform them that he is here on vacation visiting his family and we did make a find at every stop off we made between california and texas.

Are you saying that he dropped caches all along his route from CA to TX? Otherwise, this is completely out of context and has no bearing on pending reviews.

If he dropped caches along the route, the reviewer for each area will have to review the caches that fall under their jurisdictions, and it's quite likely that they won't as they might be considered "vacation caches" or otherwise not maintainable by the CO because he lives too far away.

No we did not hide any caches along the route from CA to TX we only found caches and left items in them. We only hid the one by my house when we got here.

Does 'review' mean the reviewer is actually coming to the cache to check it or is he just having a look at its page?

There is no way they could visit every site. They review the listing for guidelines violations and may make suggestions on other issues but that's it. However, they are geocachers, so they do find many caches themselves. If they find a violation while out caching there is nothing to prevent them from taking action. And finally any cacher who finds a cache can report violations to the reviewer.

Not to be the forum police.... but this really isn't the correct venue for this question. This should have been posted in the general forum.

Beside that point, I would say that the reviewer will probably get to it as quickly as possible (outside of what is happening in their life). Remember, the reviewers are volunteering their time. Some reviewers will look over newly proposed caches during the weekend... while others will during the week.

Sorry new at this this was actually my 1st forum question.... geez you people sure do get your feathers ruffled fast.....

Sorry new at this this was actually my 1st forum question.... geez you people sure do get your feathers ruffled fast.....

It's a good idea in any internet forum to lurk and see how things work for a while before you post. Now that the search function actually works, it's also possible to "speed lurk" and get up to speed pretty quickly.

Welcome to the forums, though. Don't take criticisms personally, this is actually a pretty nice group of people.

I just read the entire thread, and the only thing that I can find that might possibly make you feel that "we get our feathers ruffled fast" would be the first sentence in that single post, and even that is simply informative. In fact, it was only a few posts above there that you thanked the forum for the helpful answers you received.The comment about it feeling like three threads got moved was not aimed at you in the least.