geocaching.com VERY slow lately

LucaPCP

I canceled my recurring membership today, done with the ongoing website and app issues. I pay $40 a year for sub-par performance, no thanks, I'll pass...

The site performance issues today are rather new. I suspect an outside cause.

Wonder what app issues your having. I have not noticed any. Could it be one of the free phone apps that have problems right after a site update? If so I would not blame the site, I would blame the app writer.

Edit: seems the performance issues are resolved. You might want to consider saving $10 next time and sign up for a year.

Edited by jholly

I canceled my recurring membership today, done with the ongoing website and app issues. I pay $40 a year for sub-par performance, no thanks, I'll pass...

Wonder what app issues your having. I have not noticed any. Could it be one of the free phone apps that have problems right after a site update? If so I would not blame the site, I would blame the app writer.

Edit: seems the performance issues are resolved. You might want to consider saving $10 next time and sign up for a year.

Well, it's better for me, but not anywhere near normal. As far as ongoing website issues. The last time the site got like this was on 10/10/10. I've had no issues between then and today.

I'm using the official app. Just seems to be very sketchy at times on the iPhone.

My current premium membership is up in June, I'll decide then if it's worth another $10. I prefer to do $10 at a time for reasons just like this. I think Groundspeak needs to cut back on all the money going to videos and block parties and get their app/website running a little more smoothly.

I'm using the official app. Just seems to be very sketchy at times on the iPhone.

My current premium membership is up in June, I'll decide then if it's worth another $10. I prefer to do $10 at a time for reasons just like this. I think Groundspeak needs to cut back on all the money going to videos and block parties and get their app/website running a little more smoothly.

I'll agree on the app issues. I think this is worse because ground speak does so many things right, and the apps are a black eye on their accomplishments. Very little support and infrequent updates. The "illegal app" is constantly evolving and improving, and its free. I believe in paying for work, so the cost isn't an issue but its gotta have more features and updates.

Back on topic, yes the site was slow today. Seems better now.

I can't speak for the app, but you are not alone in feeling that the priorities frequently seem a bit off-kilter. Better to listen to your users first, Wired! second.

I can't speak for the app, but you are not alone in feeling that the priorities frequently seem a bit off-kilter. Better to listen to your users first, Wired! second.

The slow site was annoying. Having my brand new (not scheduled) PQ show up several hours late again was much worse. By the time they finally sent it they shouldn't have even bothered. And not one word I can find in the Forum about it. I guess it was just me?

I have noticed the site running slow on Sunday mornings pacific times the last week or two. This week was pretty bad, but then around noon pacific local it starts running fine. Either there are an awful lot of Europeans getting caught up on their logging or there are other issues that GS has not chosen to talk about that are at play. Since it is a very recent event I put it into the later category. After the recent hardware upgrades and until recently the site performance is not something that was really concerning. I certainly would not rush out and cancel my membership. And of course your chosen plan is your business.

It's nearly always slow on Sunday, I've found; that's just when the most traffic hits. Some Sundays are slower than others. I've learned never to wait until the weekend to load a PQ and to be patient on Sunday night when logging if we've been out all day.

I guess I just don't see the point of paying for a premium membership if I have to deal with slow downs one day out of the week, especially on a weekend and I shouldn't have to load my PQ's a couple of days in advance. If I wake up and change my plans, I shouldn't have to wait for Groundspeak to decide when I can leave for the day. I wouldn't have these complaints if I wasn't paying is what I'm saying. I imagine there is a ton of money streaming in each and every month, it's time to slow down on all the publicity stuff and concentrate on the users experience, which is a joke at times and usually seems to be the time I wanna go cache.

I like all the new goodies, don't get me wrong, but if I can't use them, I'll spend my money elsewhere and not worry about it...

UGH!! This is almost painful! Why is it sooooo ssssslllllloooowwwww?

Didn't use the site much yesterday (Saturday Pacific time) but today (Sunday) it is crawling again. Not complaining, since I know it doesn't do any good, just providing a data point.

I got on about noon yesterday and about 1PM, (PDT) today. Everything was fine. Last week, I got on at 9AM Sunday and it was almost useless. Up to 2 min to load a page. It seems that Early to mid morning, (in my time zone), has become a problem on the weekends.