New personal Logged Caches list change

MarcusArelius

Sorry if this has already been covered in another thread. I didn't see it if it was.

The Logged Caches list on your My Cache Page has changed from displying the entire cache page to displaying just your comment on it. It is the same as the new edit comment page.

I think most people use this list to see what others are saying about the caches that they have recently done. I know I do. I could care less about what I said. Usually I can remember... that may change with age though.

The edit comment page does have a link to the cache page. I wonder if GC realizes what the server impact will be of everyone loading two pages instead of just one

Mark

Ditto above by MarcusArelius. At the moment

I'm reviewing all caches I've done to note the ones that have been archived. Although I do sometimes need to edit my logs, this is usually during the same session. I would like to see some indication of the status (archived, disabled) of caches I've done on 'My Cache Page', to streamline this process, if possible.

TIA

Steve

I beleive this is to help make the new Archive option, Archive (No Show), more functional for cache owners. This allows you to archive a cache and hide all evidence of it's existance to the public. I don't think this will be used that often, but there are cases when caches were placed illegaly or in dangerous areas - as well as the fact that several States have guidelines (for State Parks, etc) that require users to remove all trace of the geocache from the internet listing service. By taking you to your log - you can still keep track of your finds (and totals). If the cache is active or Archived (Show) you can still access the page.

I agree it's an extra and seemingly unnecessary step. I'll also say I may be wrong - but that's all I can figure base on some of Jeremy's posts. There really should be a better explanation for changes - it leads to confusion. A lot of geocachers don't read the forums at all - and I'm sure a large number can't figure this out. It certainly seems to add an unnecessary step.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by Team DEMP:

I agree. I click on the log pages of ones I've found to see if others have found it since and what others have said, not to read my own comments.

I liked it better, at least on the My Cache page, to go to the cache and not my comments when clicking on the name of a logged cache.

Same here.

icon_mad.gifFormer EarthNOlink user!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

icon_biggrin.gifTake a chance or you'll never know. Let your spirits soar! icon_wink.gif

I agree with MarcusArelius and others, the changed My Cache Page is much less useful to me. I don't really care about getting to my post from My Cache Page. I am almost always trying to get to the cache page. It is now also very very cumbersome to update the spreadsheet list of my finds/no finds with caches and their links that I maintain for myself. I like many of the recent changes on the website and thank Jeremy and others for all of their hard work. However, I would prefer this particular change had not been made. I really hope you will consider changing it back or giving us an option to get the list in the previous format.

Alchemist2000

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

[This message was edited by alchemist2000 on September 28, 2003 at 03:11 PM.]

What a pain! I often use these links to go back to a page, and it's hardly ever to see my own log there.

The same thing's been done in the watch list emails. Perhaps it makes sense there, but even so, it would have been nice to have kept a direct link to the cache page as well.

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

I agree that it's a pain in the butt. Yes, it's just one more click - but it's an unnecessary one in a lot of peoples eyes. I was just trying explain why I think they did it - although really your guess is as good as mine.

I based it off of these 2 posts by Jeremy:

Explanation of Archive (No Show) & Further explanation.

I agree with Bill D - why do I need a link to see a page with JUST that log on it?? You just emailed me the log - I already know what it says. It would be MUCH better to include a link back to the page. I'd assume that over 99% of the time the cache page will not be archive (no show). IF it was you could just send it to a 'Blank Page' explaining that the cache was archived (no show).

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by Cheval:

How about having both links? One that takes you to the cache page (if available) and one that takes you to your log to view/edit it alone on its page?

Sounds good. I'll add that Monday.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

quote:

How about having both links? One that takes you to the cache page (if available) and one that takes you to your log to view/edit it alone on its page?

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

THANK YOU!! icon_smile.gif

Alchemist2000

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
why do I need a link to see a page with JUST that log on it??

To be honest, this is just the sort of thing I'd been looking for. I often cache in clusters, doing 3 or 4 in a day. In July I did a 4 day bike trip and logged over a dozen caches. The logs were essentially one continuous story that I would have liked to have flow together so that the reader could go from one to the next.

Well, now I can pull those links from my cache page and do that, adding a link at the botton that says "Click here to read the next log".

Also, back in April I made several searches for a cache that turned out to have been plundered. When the cache was re-placed, the owner deleted all the "could not find" logs. I was dissapointed that my logs were gone because, even though I didn't find the cache, I thought the adventure worthy of note. I have since started going through all my logs and copying them so that I'll always have them. What Jeremy has done now will at least keep my logs available should the cache be archived.

I may be the only one saying this but "Thanks Jeremy."

89355_500.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

quote:

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Right on! I was about to suggest that today. I was talking it over with some big-name cachers yesterday, and we all thought it was an extra step that wasn't very helpful.

Looks like you guys are a step ahead of me... (as usual!)

Thanks!

"Not all who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

There is now a link to both the cache and the log. I'll do this for the watchlist emails as well.

You'll also be informed if someone (other than you) deletes one of your logs. That way you'll at least know why you dropped a number of find counts. No user (other than admins, of course bad_boy_a.gif) can modify your logs.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
Jeremy wrote:

There is now a link to both the cache and the log. I'll do this for the watchlist emails as well.

You'll also be informed if someone (other than you) deletes one of your logs.

Thanks for all that, Jeremy, that's really good!

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald