I love challenging caches like nano's

jindi kid

I guess I have a love/hate/eh? relationship with Nano's...

Love - Some cacher's create fake items with nano's. I've found fake bee's hives, spider nests, plants, etc. all made with nano's. I love the creativity.

Hate - Some of the creative hides are just about impossible to find. The small logs fill quickly and they can be hard to get in and out.

Eh? - Most are painfully easy. In a snow storm, I've actually gone after nano's that are attached to benches and signs. There are only so many places they can be attached.

so today i found another nano, i don't know why but i just love small tricky cachers

how bout everyone else out there

Yeah, we have this one small tricky cacher around here, and boy, does she put out some clever hides! She's short enough, though, that we all have learned to focus our search near the ground.

Why I hate nanos... and do them anyhow:

HATE THEM because

• Usually in lame, non-challenging locations.
  • Sometimes lame locations that block placements in nicer spots nearby. Like a nano on a stop sign -- across the street from a park.
  • Tiny logs that are harder to extract from the container and sign than they were to find.

DO THEM ANYHOW because

• A find is a find. Even if I say it isn't about the numbers, it really is.
  • Sometimes you get a surprise, and the micro or nano you thought would be lame turns out to be clever by itself, or at least in a cool location.
  • I tend to cache mainly as an extra activity when I'm out walking or cycling -- so it's okay even if the journey is more fun than the cache.

I generally tend to avoid them when they are hidden in places that do not interest me or have just too many muggles nearby. That accounts for a good 80% of them in my experience. I have really enjoyed the hunt on a few though.

The logs fill too quickly and are hard to handle as well. If my kids are with me, I'll skip them all together.

so today i found another nano, i don't know why but i just love small tricky cachers

They're not everyone's cup of donuts. But if it's a well-done clever hide that makes ya think, where I can ponder over it without getting ticks, it might be perfect even in the middle of a busy parking lot.

Found one recently with an intriguing title, and I saw a "something" that I thought was very cool. But it wasn't anything, and the actual hide was a plain old LPC, the "I just threw it in there -- enjoy" kind. There probably aren't any caches I "hate", but I do prefer a hide that has some redeeming value. I'd like it to to be obvious what made it a great cache.

Some hate them, some love them.

For me a geocache offers different things depending on where it's hidden and what the container is. For a nano hidden in a Walmart parking lot, it's fun to me because I'm in on a secret that so many other people that walk right past it don't know about. I'm there to participate in something that many of the other customers would like if they knew about, but since they don't then I feel like part of a secret society almost. Maybe not that extreme, but that's sort of it.

Other caches that are next to an amazing view or very special place, those are also fun even if the only people that come there are pretty much cachers. In those cases I'm happy to have been brought to the location.

Some think that most nanos are not worth their time, and for these people they have the option to filter by cache size and avoid most of them easily. Hooray for choices!

how bout everyone else out there

Yeah, we have this one small tricky cacher around here, and boy, does she put out some clever hides! She's short enough, though, that we all have learned to focus our search near the ground.

I prefer taller cachers. They can reach the ones that I can't. They do tend to get away from me on the trail, however.

As far as nanos, the creativity in this area is to stick one in the middle of a 50' long wrought iron fence where the GPS has a epe of 50'. To me, that's not tricky. If it's not at one end or the other, I'm gone.

I had one that is now archived that I think was a bit different than usual. The park sign was one of those huge wooden ones, painted brown, with letters routed into the wood. I painted a nano to match the brown paint of the sign, and stuck it onto the end of one of the large carriage bolts that the sign was put together with. It still wasn't a difficult cache, but it was something new and fun. The park recently tore the sign down to build a new one, so the cache is no longer.

You would think that nanos would be challenging due to their size, but so far I don't think I've found one that took me more than a minute or two to locate. It usually takes me longer to get the log out than to find the cache. I simply walk up to the street sign nearest the coordinates and there is the cache.

I can't say I love or hate any particular size cache. What I do hate however, are containers that do not adequately protect their contents from the environment, hidden using unimaginative techniques, in uninspired locations. Sadly, that describes <insert made up statistic> 91.7% of the micros and nanos around here. The few that have taken me to nice locations, and were hidden using even the tiniest amount of creativity, were thoroughly enjoyed by me.

I can't say I love or hate any particular size cache. What I do hate however, are containers that do not adequately protect their contents from the environment, hidden using unimaginative techniques, in uninspired locations. Sadly, that describes <insert made up statistic> 91.7% of the micros and nanos around here. The few that have taken me to nice locations, and were hidden using even the tiniest amount of creativity, were thoroughly enjoyed by me.

How long have I known you now, and I just now learn this about you? :D

You would think that nanos would be challenging due to their size, but so far I don't think I've found one that took me more than a minute or two to locate. It usually takes me longer to get the log out than to find the cache. I simply walk up to the street sign nearest the coordinates and there is the cache.

Street sign nano's aren't as popular around here.

I found one yesterday on a set of bleachers next to a ball field. I got lucky and found that one right away. Most have not been so lucky, by the logs.

I found one out in the woods. A screw was put into a hole in a piece of bark, and the nano stuck to that in the hole.

The bark was then thrown on the ground under a log. I was, again, fortunate to find that one in short time. I could have been there for days.

I think the longest I ever took to find a nano was my very first one. We didn't even know nano's existed when we found that one.

I did come across some cachers who had been looking for a nano for an hour. I grabbed it right away and I think they wanted to hit me. That or the CO. :laughing:

I think it depends on where they are, on how hard they are to find. Some can be pretty nasty. Not on street signs though.

Depends on where the cache is. A creative cache hidden in a Home Depot parking lot is still a cache hidden in a Home Depot parking lot and doesn't interest me.

What he said. ^^^^ ;)

But in general, I don't think a very high percentage of Geocachers like to be "challenged" by evil hides too much. Be it an old-schooler like myself who likes to take 1/2 mile one-way hikes into the woods to a regular sized container I'm probably going to find when I get there, to the numbers crowd who lift every lampskirt in town. And I especially wouldn't want to be "challenged" in front of the general public, where I would look like a total whack-job. Which I am, actually.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Depends on where the cache is. A creative cache hidden in a Home Depot parking lot is still a cache hidden in a Home Depot parking lot and doesn't interest me.

What he said. ^^^^ ;)

But in general, I don't think a very high percentage of Geocachers like to be "challenged" by evil hides too much. Be it an old-schooler like myself who likes to take 1/2 mile one-way hikes into the woods to a regular sized container I'm probably going to find when I get there, to the numbers crowd who lift every lampskirt in town. And I especially wouldn't want to be "challenged" in front of the general public, where I would look like a total whack-job. Which I am, actually.

This is exactly how I feel. I have no desire to feel out 100 virtual wrought iron fence pieces, especially along a busy sidewalk.

http://shop.geostuff.com.au/products/nano-cache-log-retrieval-tool

that is what i meant for the log extractor thingo

Okay, it looks like it has a re-roller, (quill), on the other end. It's still a mighty expensive pair of tweezers.

I have a method with the nano, magneto, blinkie type caches. I explained it when I was new to the forums and I believe the bespectacled dog that knows Chad called me disgusting. (I didn't take it personally, BTW).

I have a real problem with the nanos. I don't typically chase after them. When I do find them, it's usually long after the log should have been replaced. The log is a small scroll of pulp, with all of the names smeared together. I simply find the cache, hold it in my hand, screw the top off and look at the messed up log. I then put it back together, and place it as found. Of course, I log it online. [GASP]

I Found It!

I have yet to form an opinion on them. I really haven't had the urge to look for one yet. I will someday i suppose but til that happens I prefer to do regular ones that have multi paged logs. I love reading the different things people write, and reading the log as if it's a story of events.

Maybe when I want a higher number I may start to look for them. I would enjoy the challenge if it's in an interesting place and hard to find, or if it's somewhere I've never been and there and I leave with the satifaction of discovering a new area.

I found a nano this weekend that made it to my favorites list -- the first one for this kind of container -- because it was an appropriate cache in a great location. We did not know the cache was there but wanted to see the object, so the cache was an added bonus. Still, the log was wound so right that I almost quit trying to extract it. It was tempting to sign the outer edge of the log rolled up in the container.

Then there are all the nanos that I unroll all the way to discover that the log has long since been filled. Cache maintenance can be hard with these, particularly when cachers sign the full name across the paper.

Every once in a while, a nano is so creatively made and hidden that I have to admire the time and thought that was put into the cache. But generally they are just stuck someplace that offers little inspiration. I do not enjoy searching for a nano in a haystack. So from my point of view, it is easy to make a "challenging" hide with a nano, but harder to place one here the container, the location, and the style of hide all come together.

Edited by mulvaney