Dang it, I wanted to start today but have GPS prob

dodfireman

Well the family and I were so excited to go on our first Geo hike. Now I'm running into a problem I didn't think I was going to have. I have a Navigon GPS but can't figure out how to put in the coordinates. It seems like it will only take streets and citys. Can anyone help me figure it out? Or can I even do it? Do I need to buy a different type of GPS? Thanks in advance

Sounds like your device is for use in a vehicle. Check out some of the units where sporting goods are sold. Tell them what you are interested in using it for. I like the Garmin units. I would start out with a cheaper one first. I got a great deal on a Venture Hc bundle pack that has the USB cable to download directly to the unit from the cache page, and it came with the mapsource software for around $140.

An automotive GPSr can be used for caching but its a bit of a pain. To input lat and long you'll need to create a waypoint. The manual for your unit should show you how to do this. Depending on the brand and model you have you may be able to download a driver and connect the device to your PC and download the cords directly to the unit. In the end your better off buying a nice hand held unit. If price is a concern a basic eTrex Legend H from garmin will cover your basic needs. It runs for about $110. The above mentioned Venture Hc is basically the same. The main difference is its color screen. All of Garmin's nicer units come with the USB cable to connect to the PC. If the base maps are not good enough for you there are allot of free map options.

I know that the general rule of thumb is "If all fails, read the instructions", but have you considered looking at the manual? I've had friends contact me with the same question you posted, thinking they can only add addresses, not coordinates. I wouldn't give up quite yet-and you might even do a google search for the manual for your unit if you don't have one already.

Good luck!

An automotive GPSr can be used for caching but its a bit of a pain. ...

Not all of them. Garmin car units yes (at least some/most of them), TomToms on the other hand are unusable as it's not possible to tell them to stop sticking to roads, even though you can enter coordinates into some of them. I don't know what's possible with Navigon units.

Not all of them. Garmin car units yes (at least some/most of them), TomToms on the other hand are unusable as it's not possible to tell them to stop sticking to roads, even though you can enter coordinates into some of them. I don't know what's possible with Navigon units.

Of some interest - the newer TomTom units (firmware 9.XXX) will produce a real set of coordinates on the satellite page. The older ones (firmware prior to 9.XXX) will produce the road-snapped coordinates. You cannot enter coordinates on any of the following TomTom models that employ their EasyMenu system: Ease (Start2 in Europe), XL335SE, XL335LE, XL335LM, XL350, XL350T, XL350M, XL350TM, (XL IQRoutes2 in Europe), XXL550, XXL550T, XXL550M and XXL550TM.

Of some interest - the newer TomTom units (firmware 9.XXX) will produce a real set of coordinates on the satellite page. The older ones (firmware prior to 9.XXX) will produce the road-snapped coordinates. You cannot enter coordinates on any of the following TomTom models that employ their EasyMenu system: Ease (Start2 in Europe), XL335SE, XL335LE, XL335LM, XL350, XL350T, XL350M, XL350TM, (XL IQRoutes2 in Europe), XXL550, XXL550T, XXL550M and XXL550TM.

I have a garmin nuvi 255 W. Love it. used it to geocache for a year before getting my first hand held. I go to whear to, then bottom right corner an arrow, arrow down and the last one is coridance click on that. It will give you the cords of where you are. erase or back space the cords and enter where your cache cords are then press go. the car will direct you to the site. When you get out of the car and look for the cache, go to menue click on tools and click on where am I. Then just start walking the cords change as you walk, watch for your cache cords to appear.

If you're in the U.S., I don't think the Navigon GPS is even supported any more. I had one for the car and sold it because I couldn't get updates. Don't know about caching with them.

That's going to depend on the model. Map updates are located here:

http://www.navigon.com/portal/int/karten_services/index.html

They were great for navigation, but I never tried for caching.

Edited by TotemLake

I have a garmin nuvi 255 W. Love it. used it to geocache for a year before getting my first hand held. I go to whear to, then bottom right corner an arrow, arrow down and the last one is coridance click on that. It will give you the cords of where you are. erase or back space the cords and enter where your cache cords are then press go. the car will direct you to the site. When you get out of the car and look for the cache, go to menue click on tools and click on where am I. Then just start walking the cords change as you walk, watch for your cache cords to appear.

Ditto for me. My wife and I have traveled to many places in Canada and the US, including Hawaii, and we've always taken along our Nuvi 255W. For us, in a strange town or in a dark parking lot after a ballgame, there's no better "friend" to have along. It's never failed to provide us with the route we need.

If you're in the U.S., I don't think the Navigon GPS is even supported any more. I had one for the car and sold it because I couldn't get updates. Don't know about caching with them.

That's going to depend on the model. Map updates are located here:

http://www.navigon.com/portal/int/karten_services/index.html

They were great for navigation, but I never tried for caching.

I think mine was an older model. And, just like the older Magellan car GPS I had that Magellan no longer supported, I would never consider buying a unit from either company again. Of course, there probably are some Garmin models no longer supported, but so far, all 3 I have are.

My Nuvi 265W needs a new battery so I bought a Nuvi500....I hate the 500 and am buying a new battery and an installation kit for my 265...I also have a Oregon and had a Colorado and the 265 finds GZ better than any of them!!