Neat goals for Travel Bugs

Squirrelgal

I just ordered my first 2 travelbugs and I'm so excited! Even though it's in the deep of Winter up here in Northern Canada and it'll be a while before I can send it off, I'm already trying to think of some fun goals.

What fun and crazy goals have you created or others have on travel bugs that you have found? I've noticed the entry on here about collecting keychains on it, and I've seen other ones where you take pic of it at the cache, or at particular sites. I just need some inspiration, I'd love to do more then just to have it go to here, or there..

Carolyn:-)

Edited by carolyninpg

My best friend is about to be stationed in Kandahar, Afghanistan so me and her brother-in-law decided to make a TB race using 2 of her old commander coins from her previous unit.

His bug (TB29Z19 "UNITED WE STAND") will be relased by her in Kandahar and is trying to get back home, My bug (TB32WJ7 "DIVIDED WE FALL") starts in her home city and is on a mission to get to Kandahar.

We are still finishing up the description pages with Pictures & Links before release day, but you can see the basic idea from the pages above.

You could set it the task of travelling to a particular city, or country, that you've visited, or would like to visit. Or somewhere that has family connections for you. Or something to do with a sport or hobby that you're interested in. You could send it off to go around the World, with instructions that it should go in one direction only (I've seen a few TBs in the far SW of England which have got a bit stuck because they need to keep travelling westward!)

You could start it off in a foreign country with the mission to get back to you: On the World Release Register you'll see a list of geocachers in many countries who will receive your TB in the mail and put it into a cache local to them so it can start its journey back.

The "Collect a keyring" idea is nice but it does mean that it'll get fairly big after a few years of travel.

Remember that caches seem to be getting smaller so I'd suggest you use an item that's not too big. make sure it has no sentimental value to you because TBs frequently disappear, or go missing for months, or years, at a time.

MrsB

This is mine and matches the real world

I have decided to set a reasonable mission for this coin.

It is to wander afar in any direction.

It will be missing for long periods of time.

It will be listed as being caches where it is not.

It will be retrieved by cachers who will not move it for excessively long times.

It will be retrieved from caches that it is not logged into.

It will be retrieved from caches by cachers who will note its tracking number in the log

It will be retrieved by cachers who will not move it for excessively long times.

It will be retrieved from caches by cachers who will note its tracking number in the log

So... really... a winner every time? ;)

MrsB

I like that! ;) Yeh, I definitely agree, the odds are good that it'll get lost, either quickly, or later on. Which is shame, as I think this is a cool idea! Years ago, I tried sending out a disposable camera for people to take pics on and eventually 'send back to me'. Yeh, right, it got lost about 600 kms from here! I think doing the basic approach would work.

Thanks for the replies though. I am keeping my hopes up that I get some luck with mine! :P

Edited by carolyninpg

Some ideas:

• Visit every province.
  • Travel the Trans-Canada Highway from end to end.
  • I saw a travel bug that completed its mission to visit the "four corners" of the United States; you could do the same with Canada. Far northeast, far southwest, etc.
  • It might be fun to send a travel bug as far south in the Americas as possible.

Actually just had a new idea I've never seen before, I am gonna send out a travel bug that is in a race, but not against another TB. This bug will be in a race against me to get more caches, I but on the page that dipping is Ok and heavy cachers could hold it for extended times.

Be on the look out very soon i will be releasing my band of travel bugs. they will be a team of boot legers who are on the run from the revinuers who will be released by my father in another state. the goal is to move the revinuers to catch the boot legers any body that can make a catch send in photo evedence and send the 2 bugs back to me will win a prize

I've just released two travel bugs in a race.

One is heading North (from Leicester) to John O'Groats, then to Land's End and then home. The other is going in the opposite direction. We'll see who wins (one belongs to each of the my kids).

I'm considering a TempoCache for my next trackable. This will be a Time-travelling Travel Bug on a mission to go to as many periods of history as possible. It will have a log book inside to be signed whenever it goes to anywhere of historical significance, complete with year etc. This will be a Steampunk (Mad Victorian) "time-machine" container.

Others that I have considered is a bug attempting to go to places beginning with each letter of the alphabet in order. Again, I may start two off at the same time, one going forwards through the alphabet forwards, the other backwards.

From my experience

I enjoy TB Owners who are active in their mission of their bugs.

By this I mean - if I manage to help the bug achieve an objective (like getting a photo of a fire engine, or visiting a particular city or cache type - e.g. dog related), then the TB owner either updates the TB mission (e.g. - Dubai - now visited thanks to Carbon Hunter) - or sends a personal mail to acknowldge your effort.

There are many many different missions and if possible I try and help them on their way - if I have read the mission before hand.

Also - do not make the mission restrictive - e.g. "Do not move thios TB unless you are planning to take it to Mongolia" - that is a sure way to put off cachers who would like to help.

I love moving bugs and always try get them to a new cache - my maxim is rather move a TB or coin on - than leave it in a cache for another day/cacher - in this part of the wolrd - that may be months later.

Also - do not make the mission restrictive - e.g. "Do not move this TB unless you are planning to take it to Mongolia" - that is a sure way to put off cachers who would like to help.

(I posted this yesterday, but it seems to have got lost)

But more reasonable ones should be followed.

Is is unreasonable of me to be mildly annoyed (my level of annoyance is somewhere between very-very mildly annoyed and very mildly annoyed) when people don't help with the mission?

My kids have each placed one Travel Bug. One is heading to John O'Groats, the Lands End and the Home (to Leicester). (For non-Brits that's the most northerly point, the most southerly point* and slap bang in the middle of England). The other is going the opposite way.

Only one of them has moved so far. The one heading north has moved 15 miles South East (into a Premium Only Cache). On the bug I have included a key fob detailing the mission, so the excuse of not knowing the mission until the cacher got home isn't there.

* For the pedants out there The Lizard is the most southerly point, but Lands End is more traditional.

Edited by DaveTheTroll

Also - do not make the mission restrictive - e.g. "Do not move this TB unless you are planning to take it to Mongolia" - that is a sure way to put off cachers who would like to help.

(I posted this yesterday, but it seems to have got lost)

But more reasonable ones should be followed.

Is is unreasonable of me to be mildly annoyed (my level of annoyance is somewhere between very-very mildly annoyed and very mildly annoyed) when people don't help with the mission?

My kids have each placed one Travel Bug. One is heading to John O'Groats, the Lands End and the Home (to Leicester). (For non-Brits that's the most northerly point, the most southerly point* and slap bang in the middle of England). The other is going the opposite way.

Only one of them has moved so far. The one heading north has moved 15 miles South East (into a Premium Only Cache). On the bug I have included a key fob detailing the mission, so the excuse of not knowing the mission until the cacher got home isn't there.

* For the pedants out there The Lizard is the most southerly point, but Lands End is more traditional.

The presentation (including mission on the TB) seems great - and I think your missions are easy to comply with.

I'd certainly pick them up and move them onwards - even if I am not heading to those locations - but my idea is (a) keep them moving ... somewhere rather than nowhere - and (B) do my best to get the mission done without leaving them in a 5/5 TB prison or some major puzzle cache.

Good luck and I hope they move soon.

Perhaps it's a local thing with some geographical areas ebeing more open to moving TB's than others?

Perhaps it's a local thing with some geographical areas ebeing more open to moving TB's than others?

Its not that they have been there a long time (a couple of weeks), just that the first move was in the wrong direction.

I'll add a watch to the caches that they are in and see how many people visit without moving them on.

Its not that they have been there a long time (a couple of weeks), just that the first move was in the wrong direction.

I'll add a watch to the caches that they are in and see how many people visit without moving them on.

Just to give you hope, here's a link to one of my "End to Ender" geocoins which was placed at John O' Groats back in August. It travelled happily until disappearing somewhere in Essex, SE England, in September, so I marked it missing thinking the usual "Ah well, never mind, that's that then." Then 10 days ago it gets logged as having arrived at the "End to End" Club at Land's End! I still haven't got all the details of how it was delivered to the Club but at least it's a happy ending...

"End to Ender - John O'Groats to Land's End."

My other "End to Ender" travelling in the opposite direction, seems to have got stuck near Perth in Scotland (if it's still there).

"End to Ender - Land's End to John O'Groats"

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

I've once had in my hands this one which was a notebook and everyone who found it was supposed to draw a picture inside. It was very nice!

Two days ago I bought my very first TB, it's here. I haven't put it in any cache so far (my little brother wants me to wait until we find 50 geocaches and we search them without GPS, so it takes some time :/) and it should travel only to waterfall caches. I can't wait to release it!

So I should start by saying that I have a small token of appreciation I'm working on for a group of people in Austin TX. I don't personally know them, but I love all the content they put on the internet. <unauthorized link removed by moderator>

I was thinking it would be fun to attach the token to a tb and sending it out. What do you guys think? I know it will take a while, but would it be better to find a local cacher in Austin to make put up a cache near their office and try and get them to find it? Or just try and get a nice cacher to drop it off at their office when it makes it to Austin?

Thoughts?

Edited by Eartha
Edit to remove commercial link

I have one Travel Bug that has a mission of travelling the world to meat other butterflies and have photos with them so she can learn to be an elegant butterfly.

This whole thing has a storyline and the other Travel Bugs are interacting with each other. I'll be releasing a travel dragon who is out to eat the butterfly, and a geocoin that will break the spell etc. I don't want to give too much away until i've had the time to really get the story down pat and activate all the different bugs.

I like having a very different goal for them rather than 'keep me moving'

I have one Travel Bug that has a mission of travelling the world to meat other butterflies and have photos with them so she can learn to be an elegant butterfly.

This whole thing has a storyline and the other Travel Bugs are interacting with each other. I'll be releasing a travel dragon who is out to eat the butterfly, and a geocoin that will break the spell etc. I don't want to give too much away until i've had the time to really get the story down pat and activate all the different bugs.

I like having a very different goal for them rather than 'keep me moving'

Sounds like a very interesting idea. Hope all goes well with it.

I've tried to set interesting goals for my bugs, as I think getting cachers interested is the key to keeping them moving.

I have a lock and key pair of bugs. The lock is in the south of England, and the key is in Scotland. Their aim is to meet up and then come home - Currently both are in infrequently visited caches, which I hope will be moved when the weather improves.

I have another pair, called "happy snap". One is a 1gb SD card, designed to go in cacher's own digital camera. The other is a disposable film camera. I launched them both at a meet one month ago. One hasn't moved on (I know who has it and he has a plan), the other has photos and is on it's second 'owner'.

I also have two racing bugs which are doing well, a keyring sized picture frame which has a dual mission to gather more photos, and only move west (currently held up by snow in New England) and a beaver keyring, which needs to go to Canada to find a mate, then return home (currently held up by snow in New England)

... and a few more bugs with more traditional aims of returning home, and just travelling.