"Took it to" Log?

Bonky Frog

I have just looked at a trackable that I once placed and now see that one person has logged 30 "Took it to" logs. This comes from selecting the "Visited" log from your TBinventory once a GC page is open.

I guess he just had it in his bag over several days caching and logged it in for every cache he visited. He still has it in his inventory.

Surely this type of log bumps up the mileage incorrectly and i doubt the intention of what Trackables are all about.

I certainly hope my TBs don't receive this type of travelling

ref TB337X9

Edited by Bonky Frog

I use the visit log for my personal bug. Personally I also enjoy seeing what caches my bugs go to as well whether or not they are dropped because some cool caches are just too small to hold anything. I liked seeing one of my bugs go on a cruise around Europe for example.

I don't care about the number of miles my bug goes. I just want to see where the person holding it goes with it. If they drop it great. If they visit great. I just enjoy the journey.

Assuming that the trackable goes with the geocacher to the various caches, I don't see visits as bumping up the mileage incorrectly. If anything, I see it as more accurately plotting the course the trackable has taken.

If I go on a touring holiday I'm interested in the whole route I take, not just the few places that I stop off over night. :)

I don't expect someone who has one of my trackables to let it visit every cache they go to but if they want to, then that's fine by me.

MrsB

I have just looked at a trackable that I once placed and now see that one person has logged 30 "Took it to" logs.

It's a chore to do TB logs correctly. I always appreciate when people do that, "visiting" or not. Of course, not everything people do in this game is enjoyed by everyone.

One of my TBs got that kind of tour. Some of the others had only a couple of logs, and now are dormant (in the hands of inactive cachers, or not in their logged cache). I'm glad to see a Travel Bug that got to do some traveling before vanishing.

Edited by kunarion
Can anyone give me the steps to logging "took it to" ?

Once you start to do your "log your visit" cache log, scroll to the bottom of the page. There's a list of trackables in your posession, with a drop-down box to the right of each one. Click a drop-down box, and click "Visited" on whichever TB that you want to do that to. Now finish typing your log and submit it. The TB will now say you "took it to" that cache. You can further edit the TB's log page later if you like (add photos, etc.).

Edited by kunarion

I'm still unclear on how it is you go about logging the "Took it to" status. I have some of my own TBs that I've hiked miles with to caches but didn't drop them off. I kind of think it is neat to record that it was with my during that journey. Can anyone give me the steps to logging "took it to" ?

Check what I posted here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=267374

If you would like to back-log it through every previous cache you have visited, the steps aren't much different. I can summarized what you need to do and what to expect.

Edited by BlueDeuce

What I don't like about the "visited" option is that it doesn't seem to generate a notification email at all. I'm currently holding a TB that has visited several caches with me, and I put it on watchlist, but I haven't received any notifications so I'm guessing that the owner hasn't either. Unless he actually looks at the TB page, he'll be thinking that I'm just holding on to the TB and not doing anything with it.

Visited is what you use for your personal TB, or another TB, to make it easy to log it through a cache you are not actually leaving it in the cache, but want to show that the Travel Bug was there. This feature was added, because many people carry personal TBs to track their own cache mileage, some even have their TB as a tattoo, and they can't physically leave themselves in the cache, and in the past, logging any TB through a bunch of caches was a tedious process of dropping it in the caxhe, logging a retrieve, entering the tracking number again, to put it back in your inventory. Cachers asked for a better way to do it, so the Visited feature was added.

I don't see it as a cheat to mileage. Its in my pocket while out caching, I can't always drop it, such as micro's or what looks to be a sketchy place to leave a trackable. That way the owner knows its on the move. If I can (or remember to) I will snap a pic of the location with the bug or coin and upload it with the log.