Fixing someone elses geocache?

kykyred

would it be permissible to fix/redue a lost geocache? theres a few in my area that people have reported missing for a while s i went to confirm and all have been lost. i was wondering if i could fix them my self as the owners have either moved or forgotten about geocaching and the caches they hid. :(

It is possible, however it might not be advisable.

If the cache owners are not active anymore and you replace the cache you cannot fix the cache page. If it has Needs Maintenance posted to it only the cache owner can remove it.

If it is missing you should post a Needs Maintenance and\or send the owner an email. If after a period of time (many feel one month) there is no follow up then post a Needs Archived. The reviewer should then disable it and after a period of time (usually a month) if the CO does nothing he\she will archive it. If you like the spot you can hide and list your own.

One exception to this would be a cache that has some local historical or personal attachment. Then you may elect to keep it up.

I've performed routine maintenance on a cache, such as replacing a broken continaer (like for like), replacing a log, baggie, etc. I've also had to repair a couple of caches that were zip tied and I broke the zip tie. I keep several in my geopack, anyway.

I've done the same several times, however I will never replace a cache I've not found at least some on it and know or can figure out the exact location. To do so would be just guessing as to the exact spot or if the CO really wants it replaced. :(

I recently replaced a cache that had fallen apart ,I knew the CO and knew he wanted the cache to be replaced but had been unable to replace/repair it due to work. :(

Minor repairs to help out an active cacher are fine. You should leave major repairs and replacing containers to the cache owner, unless you get his permission.

If it's an inactive cache owner, the cache is better off being put out of its misery. Log a NM and if there is no response for a few weeks, then a NA.

Don't replace caches for MIA owners because you are just keeping an unmaintained cache alive.

Minor repairs to help out an active cacher are fine. You should leave major repairs and replacing containers to the cache owner, unless you get his permission.

If it's an inactive cache owner, the cache is better off being put out of its misery. Log a NM and if there is no response for a few weeks, then a NA.

Don't replace caches for MIA owners because you are just keeping an unmaintained cache alive.

I have replaced caches for a cache owner who had become trapped aboard. I emailed him for his permission and received details of the caches and photographs showing where I should put the caches.

Once I had replaced the missing caches, I emailed the owner and he reactiviated them.

So if you want to replace a missing cache you do need the cache owner's consent and assistance.

oh ok thanks for the imput. i found this geocache previously and figured id take my girlfriend with me for her first one seeing as it was the closest one to my house and that i knew exactly where it was . it was disappointing to not find it but we then went to another one i knew and had her find her first one. ill notify it to be archived then

I have replaced caches that I thought were noteworthy after contacting the CO. In most cases the CO was no longer geocaching. Although, once I replaced an ammo can that had gone missing. I contacted the CO first, but didn't get a reply. They had been really busy and didn't live super close to the cache. When they saw the note I posted to the cache page that it had been replaced, they were really appreciative and thanked me. I do request archived if it looks like it's been missing for a long time and it's one I haven't found. I hate having DNFs for caches in my area that just aren't there anymore.

It sounds like your situation was similar to one of mine recently.

There was a nearby cache that was clearly needing some help due to wetness.

After repeated listings of wet log/wet cache etc. I wondered what my role was in this.

Eventually, I e-mailed the CO and offered these options;

I offered to:

"Fix/dry" existing container.

Replace container with a new one of my own.

Adopt the cache.

Assist in any other way the CO would deem helpful.

In the end, the CO appreciated the help and was pleased with the adoption option after I indicated I would try to maintain the general theme and concept of the cache.

Happy Geocaching! - hawkeyetob

Just yesterday I picked up the remains of a cache that had been muggled. It was strewn about, soaking wet and pretty dirty. I brought it home, am drying it out and replacing it in as close to the original place as I can manage. My log includes a note explaining what I am doing and the cache owner is fully aware of it -

This seems to me the most reasonable way of dealing with this kind of problem.

(just my opinion)